• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Because next summer the contracts are up for a lot of the players we want to move. They will no longer be able to hang around. That has been the main issue - I don’t blame Levy for it, I don’t blame Poch, it’s just circumstance. This side is coming to the end of the cycle, Poch has wanted to refresh for a good while but the players have both wanted to explore moves and haven’t been able to secure moves better than Spurs.

The rebuild is happening next summer regardless of who the Manager is. What I’m saying is it’s pointless to bring someone else in to ‘get these players back onside’ when a chunk of the core of this squad is going anyway. We have always operated on the principle of if we have space, we make a move. For a long time we haven’t had the space, but that is coming.

Once again, this isnt "Circumstance"

All those players could be bombed out to train alone, and we could be laying the foundations for the next cycle as we speak.

Poch has chosen to keep these players in the squad, and in the team.

The only thing which is making me think that we shouldn’t get shot of him is whether a new manager would do any better.

I agree with Jenas that the contract situation is crippling - 3 of our starting team today can talk to other clubs in January...it’s baffling that we haven’t got Vertonghen signed up. He’s been loyal and is a leader.

Any new manager would also inherit that contract mess with those 3 key players having 8 months left on their contracts, no decent RB, Rose possibly off as well. You could argue that the players aren’t playing well for the club, rather than not playing for the manager.

I’d like to see us give Toby and Jan 2 year deals and then see whether that helped the situation. I can’t see how we’re stronger next season by letting them walk

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

All those players could be bombed out to train alone, and we could be laying the foundations for the next cycle as we speak.

As a manager you have to be VERY careful when bombing players out of the squad, there are a lot of friendship groups in the team and doing this can end up alienating the other players.

When a manger wants rid of a player the club have to make that happen. Unfortunately the club had no cards at all with Eriksen and Alderweireld but I think it should’ve been possible to get rid of Aurier, Wanyama and Rose if the club had sweetened the deals.... although GHod knows how threadbare our squad would’ve looked then!

We've been playing 4 defenders with 3 deeper midfielders supporting 3 attackers pretty much all season - that's more than a hint if you ask me.

Dybala would have been an off the cuff too good to turn down type transfer imo and the interest we had shouldn't really be held up as indicative of our tactical plans - him coming in would likely have meant a reshuffle of ideas

But would it not have made more sense to actually play a 433 not a diamond during this time, Son/Moura/Alli as the three wide forwards, Llorente was here for the central position, Winks Eriksen and Sissoko in the cm, it would have eliminated all the tactical inefficiency of the diamond/4312 and would not have been impacted by the injuries any more than the diamond.

Do you think there might be any reasons as to why he very clearly hasn’t decided to bomb the players that are leaving out just yet?

The only thing which is making me think that we shouldn’t get shot of him is whether a new manager would do any better.

I agree with Jenas that the contract situation is crippling - 3 of our starting team today can talk to other clubs in January...it’s baffling that we haven’t got Vertonghen signed up. He’s been loyal and is a leader.

Any new manager would also inherit that contract mess with those 3 key players having 8 months left on their contracts, no decent RB, Rose possibly off as well. You could argue that the players aren’t playing well for the club, rather than not playing for the manager.

I’d like to see us give Toby and Jan 2 year deals and then see whether that helped the situation. I can’t see how we’re stronger next season by letting them walk

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I can think of a few managers who would stick those who aren’t willing to commit into the reserves and let everybody forget they exist.

Benches this season (except vs City)

• Wanyama
  • 14Nkoudou
  • 15Dier
  • 22Gazzaniga
  • 23Eriksen
  • 24Aurier
  • 29Skipp

• 5Vertonghen
  • 15Dier
  • 18Lo Celso
  • 22Gazzaniga
  • 23Eriksen
  • 29Skipp
  • 33Davies

• 18Lo Celso
  • 20Alli
  • 22Gazzaniga
  • 24Aurier
  • 27Lucas Moura
  • 29Skipp
  • 33Davies
  • 12Wanyama
  • 15Dier
  • 20Alli
  • 22Gazzaniga
  • 27Lucas Moura
  • 28Ndombele
  • 33Davies
  • 7Son Heung-Min
  • 11Lamela
  • 12Wanyama
  • 15Dier
  • 16Walker-Peters
  • 17Sissoko
  • 22Gazzaniga
  • 12Wanyama
  • 15Dier
  • 23Eriksen
  • 27Lucas Moura
  • 29Skipp
  • 33Davies
  • 41Whiteman
  • 1Lloris
  • 5Vertonghen
  • 7Son Heung-Min
  • 11Lamela
  • 17Sissoko
  • 21Foyth
  • 23Eriksen
  • 11Lamela
  • 12Wanyama
  • 15Dier
  • 20Alli
  • 22Gazzaniga
  • 27Lucas Moura
  • 33Davies
  • 6D Sánchez
  • 11Lamela
  • 15Dier
  • 22Gazzaniga
  • 23Eriksen
  • 27Lucas Moura
  • 33Davies
  • 6D Sánchez
  • 8Winks
  • 20Alli
  • 21Foyth
  • 22Gazzaniga
  • 27Lucas Moura
  • 29Skipp
While I completely agree there are buys required, I dont agree we lack depth, or options to change things
if there are buys required, it means we lack depth because options to change things if they are not of the quality we require are not much of an option - i do wonder if poch could choose, which players would he sell and buy ? i think he prefers players who are versatile as well as loyal, who is our chief scout now ?

But would it not have made more sense to actually play a 433 not a diamond during this time, Son/Moura/Alli as the three wide forwards, Llorente was here for the central position, Winks Eriksen and Sissoko in the cm, it would have eliminated all the tactical inefficiency of the diamond/4312 and would not have been impacted by the injuries any more than the diamond.

What makes you think the line up you have suggested offers more protection off the ball than the current one? Is Winks Eriksen Sissoko any stronger than Winks Ndombele Sissoko - is that really the cure of all our woes?

I think our issues are mental rather than tactical atm as our performance today in the tried and tested 4231 would suggest - the players aren't playing for each other or for the manager atm and there's little changing things tactically can do to solve that

As a manager you have to be VERY careful when bombing players out of the squad, there are a lot of friendship groups in the team and doing this can end up alienating the other players.

When a manger wants rid of a player the club have to make that happen. Unfortunately the club had no cards at all with Eriksen and Alderweireld but I think it should’ve been possible to get rid of Aurier, Wanyama and Rose if the club had sweetened the deals.... although GHod knows how threadbare our squad would’ve looked then!

I completely understand there is a social element to it.

Though I question - say Kane is Eriksens bestest buddy - how do you think he feels about him after performances like today?

Above all else, these guys are elite athletes, competitive, and they want to win. Right now, I imagine Kane and Eriksen wouldnt be on great terms...

And theres the catch for me. When Modric made it clear he wanted to leave, he worked so damn hard nobody took issue with it - because Modric helped them win games.

How well do you think that social element stands up when players literally couldnt give a toss?

I also think theres a lot to be said for a manager being in control. These guys are disrupting, they are out - now lets everyone focus...

I think thats valuable, and necessary

It would have been much better if moves away could have been arranged, but I still maintain that Poch has the choice to involve these players, and do which degree.

Do you think there might be any reasons as to why he very clearly hasn’t decided to bomb the players that are leaving out just yet?

Aside from Finneys view on everyone being buddies, I actually think Poch is being to loyal to them. Or naive.

Its like he thinks he can trust them still, when all evidence points to the contrary.

if there are buys required, it means we lack depth because options to change things if they are not of the quality we require are not much of an option - i do wonder if poch could choose, which players would he sell and buy ? i think he prefers players who are versatile as well as loyal, who is our chief scout now ?

Thats the strongest bench I think Ive ever seen for us.

We need a RB, that doesnt mean the entire squad needs depth.

There are EXCELLENT options being ignored right now.

What makes you think the line up you have suggested offers more protection off the ball than the current one? Is Winks Eriksen Sissoko any stronger than Winks Ndombele Sissoko - is that really the cure of all our woes?

I think our issues are mental rather than tactical atm as our performance today in the tried and tested 4231 would suggest - the players aren't playing for each other or for the manager atm and there's little changing things tactically can do to solve that

I agree with everything you said, but that doesn’t answer the point, if the intention was to transition to 433 why spend a year playing the diamond? And it still goes back to the point of the £100m earmarked for Lo Celso and Dybala would have been better spend on other areas of the squad, a RB, a DM, a new CB knowing full well Alderweireld is off.

Thats the strongest bench I think Ive ever seen for us.

We need a RB, that doesnt mean the entire squad needs depth.

There are EXCELLENT options being ignored right now.
but midfield when we had young and fit moussa dembele and vic wanyama/dier with walker at RB we were much stronger, imo we have regressed since then - lucas moura last season came to the fore with a hattrick first at manu then in the UCL semi but we lacked at lb , so no, i don't agree we did not have excellent options, just good ones

I also think we have let issues fester with players; those contract issues did not show up at the same time, there have been no satisfactory resolution and instead are now showing with terrible play on the pitch at key moments, and a severe lack of strength of character to rise up - we lack fight

Back