• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

So we have gone from Champions League finalists to needing a new
squad or manager or Owner or all 3 in the space of 4 months.

Typical.

In many ways I feel for the guy, the contract situations and oh so nearlys in the transfer market has basically cost him his job.

We've needed to replace some of the squad for at least a season or two.
The Champions League run covered up deficiences shown in the league over those 4-5 months.
The manager has seen a gradual turnaround in football and results and seemingly not been able to stop the rot.
The owner is a miser whose lack of financial backing could be the reason for the squad falling into this state and the manager getting these results.

5 or 6?

In todays line up Alderweireld had a shocker. Sanchez on the bench. Any manager, Poch or otherwise, can change that.
Eriksen was the critically bad decision IMHO. Alli on the bench. See above.
Vertonghen I didnt think was doing too badly, Id like to see a new deal for him and dont get the impression he is a problem. I also think he pairs well with Sanchez.

Poch/any manager could be doing the "painful rebuild" NOW. Actually, it would seem a new manager would have an easier time of it - clean slate an all.

Put it this way. If Poch had navigated this tricky time better - wouldnt be a problem, would there?
Not easy though to just leave players out if all the players are having a bad time because of confidence. Dele has been having a shocker. The only definate for me is to leave out Eriksen who is actively costing us. Unfortunately we need what he brought to the team when he was on form. His replacement, lo Celso is injured.

So we have gone from Champions League finalists to needing a new
squad or manager or Owner or all 3 in the space of 4 months.

Typical.

In many ways I feel for the guy, the contract situations and oh so nearlys in the transfer market has basically cost him his job.

No I don’t feel for him at all, he’s brought all of this on himself...

If you wanna feel, then feel for Moura who nets a hat trick but gets left out of a final, feel for those convicted of drink driving who more than likely rightfully penalised for their misdemeanours unlike Lloris who was allowed to carry on with his captaincy role all ok with Poch. Feel for the fans who traveled up to Brighton today, Colchester last week, Bayern to watch humiliating, gutless performances.

Pochettino will cost Pochettino’s job, no other factors, no other excuses.

Not easy though to just leave players out if all the players are having a bad time because of confidence. Dele has been having a shocker. The only definate for me is to leave out Eriksen who is actively costing us. Unfortunately we need what he bought to the team when he was on form. His replacement, lo Celso is injured.

It really is a no brainer, IMHO.

Eriksen is playing like brick. And he is taking game time from players who are sticking around. There is no benefit to playing him, even if (for example) Alli replaces him and is out of form.

The idea we are just waiting for Lo Celso to be fit (and settled, and up to speed) before dropping Eriksen is foolish, and if thats what Poch is doing it is entirely damning of him.

Incidentally, Poch used Lamela in Eriksens place against Leicester, and Lamela did more in that game than Eriksen has in 2019. So its not like he hasnt worked out there are alternatives...

Not easy though to just leave players out if all the players are having a bad time because of confidence. Dele has been having a shocker. The only definate for me is to leave out Eriksen who is actively costing us. Unfortunately we need what he bought to the team when he was on form. His replacement, lo Celso is injured.

We are conceding goals for fun.

I’m not sure he’s the only one “actively costing us”

We've needed to replace some of the squad for at least a season or two.
The Champions League run covered up deficiences shown in the league over those 4-5 months.
The manager has seen a gradual turnaround in football and results and seemingly not been able to stop the rot.
The owner is a miser whose lack of financial backing could be the reason for the squad falling into this state and the manager getting these results.

I still think it’s the summer of 17 that was the beginning of the end rather than 18, at the end of 16/17 we had the best team in the league, we were miles ahead of Liverpool and should have strengthened, ok Walker leaving was one thing but we spend on squad players.

To this day we have still not bought a player that actually improves on our 16/17 team, and taking into consideration that Dembele has been gone for 10 months Ndombele is the first and only signing we have made since summer 16 that actually walks straight into the team, it’s almost criminal to be fair.

What’s the alternative give him the season when he has lost the dressing room and be in a relegation fight, and then rebuilt the squad in the summer, we have been trying to rebuild the squad for two years what indicators are there that he will pull it off next summer.
rebuild the squad for two years ? he has just had 1 window in 3 ! In 5 years of relative success, 2 seasons being away from our own stadium, just got us into the UCL final-i'd give him this season to sort things out, i'm not one who wants to quit the manager easily when he's given us so much, we are not 2 points from 8 games - and he has said that this rebuild was going to be painful, but that statement seems to have been ignored.

We aren't entitled, nobody gets a free pass to success and we have had a shot at the league and CL during his time so far. So I say he deserves this time to resolve the issues we are facing, while still paying off for a new stadium.

...and then 5 or 6 of those experienced players, at least, all leave this summer. And then we’ve sacked a Manager who has wanted to rebuild and refresh for 2 years. That has stuck with us through a stadium move, no signings and turned down a chance at Real. If we accept that the players have stopped playing for him (I’m not saying that I do, because I think it’s a confidence crisis myself) why do we care? Why do we want to save this group, and put ourselves on a course with another guy?

Thinking long term, it’s about who we back, who we want at the wheel. We want the most talented guy. I’d quite like us to do something ‘different’ again and if this season ends up being bad, we stick with him. Ignore the social media pressure. Ignore the desire to jerk the knee. And stick with the guy. If he then can’t get it working with a refreshed squad, by all means get him out. But right now, there are tonnes of circumstances that have made this difficult for him, and I see no logical reason why we are better off letting him go.
The bit in bold is irrelevant.

The only question is whether he will make us more successful than the alternatives. If not, replace him.

I still think it’s the summer of 17 that was the beginning of the end rather than 18, at the end of 16/17 we had the best team in the league, we were miles ahead of Liverpool and should have strengthened, ok Walker leaving was one thing but we spend on squad players.

To this day we have still not bought a player that actually improves on our 16/17 team, and taking into consideration that Dembele has been gone for 10 months Ndombele is the first and only signing we have made since summer 16 that actually walks straight into the team, it’s almost criminal to be fair.

Quite right. As I said elsewhere, Poch wanted control and that led to a transferless summer. The alternative though was him getting more bricky players off Levy and the transfer team that we'd struggle to shift off the books.

It was clear back then his brave comments had been about signing players, not keeping the same squad, not playing youth players no matter what people say in here to defend the recruitment at the club.

Recruitment that Poch is a big part of.

Dont forget all the talk of him turning down players as well.

Im not sure we'll ever know the truth of it (probably 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other IMO) but did the club let him down on making moves happen (that they could have closed) or did he demand players we were never going to deliver?

No I don’t feel for him at all, he’s bought all of this on himself...

If you wanna feel, then feel for Moura who nets a hat trick but gets left out of a final, feel for those convicted of drink driving who more than likely rightfully penalised for their misdemeanours unlike Lloris who was allowed to carry on with his captaincy role all ok with Poch. Feel for the fans who traveled up to Brighton today, Colchester last week, Bayern to watch humiliating, gutless performances.

Pochettino will cost Pochettino’s job, no other factors, no other excuses.
I cannot relate to most of what constitutes the life of a professional footballer, but leaving Moura out of the starting 11 against Liverpool was nothing but horrible man managing. There are no excuses for this. No matter how professional you are or think you are, you would be talking the manager down after that. And fecking rightly so.

Re: JJ & Jo Coles comments; it’s too easy to blame Levy imo.

The 1st question for me is why don’t we have a right back? Is it A) Levy said there’s no money B) We couldn’t afford anyone good enough in Pochs eyes or C) Poch didn’t want one.

The answer to that probably reveals a bit more of who controls the squad.

Once the players lose their confidence - that is it, time's up. Remember the West Ham team that went down with no end of fantastic players? This keeps on and we will be in a relegation scrap. No team is "too good to go down". I feel for Poch but a manager who is a proven winner might just give these players the belief they need to be at least equal to the sum of their parts. At the moment we are far less than the sum of the individual parts.

I cannot relate to most of what constitutes the life of a professional footballer, but leaving Moura out of the starting 11 against Liverpool was nothing but horrible man managing. There are no excuses for this. No matter how professional you are or think you are, you would be talking the manager down after that. And fecking rightly so.

Plus the fact it was for Kane, everyone and their dog knows it takes Kane 3 or 4 games to get up to speed after a injury, surely nobody expected a performance for Kane on the day, he should have been on the bench.

Once the players lose their confidence - that is it, time's up. Remember the West Ham team that went down with no end of fantastic players? This keeps on and we will be in a relegation scrap. No team is "too good to go down". I feel for Poch but a manager who is a proven winner might just give these players the belief they need to be at least equal to the sum of their parts. At the moment we are far less than the sum of the individual parts.
Nope.

No

Back