• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I think what is happening is that confidence has been seeped away from the players. The hammering against Bayern and then the conceding of a goal and your captain going off inside a minute...it’s body blow after body blow and it must be hard to recover from. I didn’t see the problem as tactics today - whether we had 3 or 4 at the back we were just way off in our passing and never seemed to win in the tackle. It was like nothing would ever fall right for us - I see it as a lack of confidence rather than a lack of effort or fight and I think the players deserve some sympathy here.

It was terrible, one of, if not the worst performance of the Poch era. But I don’t see the point in sacking him. Toby, Jan, Eriksen, Wanyama, Rose, Aurier and maybe others will all be gone next summer. Do we want Poch to finally get the chance to do the rebuild that he’s been wanting to do for 2 years, or do we give that shot to someone else? I don’t see the point in sacking him to save these players, because many of them are going anyway.

He deserves our loyalty and deserves the opportunity to play through what looks like a crisis of confidence to me. I’d rather he do the rebuild than Jose, that’s for sure.

There's another question in why would Levy back Poch in the summer with shipping out assets on the cheap and bringing players in when Poch was opening talking about leaving.

Even a new manager will not arrest a slide that is caused by players not trying hard enough. It may give us a quick bounce, but on the evidence of today too many players need a good kick up the arse. Then you have Dele and Sanchez and on the bench who look bereft of confidence. IMO it's the players who need to be refreshed not the manager.

Only Sissoko and Lamela looked to be playing for him.

If we're talking about shipping out players it's not just Eriksen, Veronghen and Alderwerield.
He will need to ship out Kane, Son, Alli, Moura and the rest.

Even a new manager will not arrest a slide that is caused by players not trying hard enough. It may give us a quick bounce, but on the evidence of today too many players need a good kick up the arse. Then you have Dele and Sanchez and on the bench who look bereft of confidence. IMO it's the players who need to be refreshed not the manager.

A new manager maybe brave enough to drop the players you talk about.

two telling things this week (other than results)

Sissoko talking out
Alli walking down the tunnel today

hes lost the players respect

It appears the players arent playing for Poch, he has lost them. That doesnt then mean they wont play for anyone.

A new man comes in, a new voice and energy, and IMHO things can start looking up really quickly.

A new manager will give us a bounce the players are good enough to get top 4 and then let’s see what the summer brings, they ain’t playing for Poch it’s like flogging a dead horse keeping him.

A new manager will give us a bounce the players are good enough to get top 4 and then let’s see what the summer brings, they ain’t playing for Poch it’s like flogging a dead horse keeping him.

Thats the critical factor. IF they arent playing for Poch.

It certainly looks that way, looks increasingly like he is done now. BUT - if Poch or anyone can get the players on board, this team is quality and can recover quickly.

It appears the players arent playing for Poch, he has lost them. That doesnt then mean they wont play for anyone.

A new man comes in, a new voice and energy, and IMHO things can start looking up really quickly.

...and then 5 or 6 of those experienced players, at least, all leave this summer. And then we’ve sacked a Manager who has wanted to rebuild and refresh for 2 years. That has stuck with us through a stadium move, no signings and turned down a chance at Real. If we accept that the players have stopped playing for him (I’m not saying that I do, because I think it’s a confidence crisis myself) why do we care? Why do we want to save this group, and put ourselves on a course with another guy?

Thinking long term, it’s about who we back, who we want at the wheel. We want the most talented guy. I’d quite like us to do something ‘different’ again and if this season ends up being bad, we stick with him. Ignore the social media pressure. Ignore the desire to jerk the knee. And stick with the guy. If he then can’t get it working with a refreshed squad, by all means get him out. But right now, there are tonnes of circumstances that have made this difficult for him, and I see no logical reason why we are better off letting him go.

...and then 5 or 6 of those experienced players, at least, all leave this summer. And then we’ve sacked a Manager who has wanted to rebuild and refresh for 2 years. That has stuck with us through a stadium move, no signings and turned down a chance at Real. If we accept that the players have stopped playing for him (I’m not saying that I do, because I think it’s a confidence crisis myself) why do we care? Why do we want to save this group, and put ourselves on a course with another guy?

Thinking long term, it’s about who we back, who we want at the wheel. We want the most talented guy. I’d quite like us to do something ‘different’ again and if this season ends up being bad, we stick with him. Ignore the social media pressure. Ignore the desire to jerk the knee. And stick with the guy. If he then can’t get it working with a refreshed squad, by all means get him out. But right now, there are tonnes of circumstances that have made this difficult for him, and I see no logical reason why we are better off letting him go.

Problem is this has been building for a year, it’s not a few bad weeks at the start of a season, he has lost the dressing room imo, we can’t go like this until the end of the season

5 or 6?

In todays line up Alderweireld had a shocker. Sanchez on the bench. Any manager, Poch or otherwise, can change that.
Eriksen was the critically bad decision IMHO. Alli on the bench. See above.
Vertonghen I didnt think was doing too badly, Id like to see a new deal for him and dont get the impression he is a problem. I also think he pairs well with Sanchez.

Poch/any manager could be doing the "painful rebuild" NOW. Actually, it would seem a new manager would have an easier time of it - clean slate an all.

Put it this way. If Poch had navigated this tricky time better - wouldnt be a problem, would there?

He was backed in last summer, he choose not to spend the money.

He can't complain about no signings, Levy has given him free range over the squad to do as he wishes.

So are we now saying Levy didnt back him?

He was backed in last summer, he choose not to spend the money.

He can't complain about no signings, Levy has given him free range over the squad to do as he wishes.

So are we now saying Levy didnt back him?

Regardless of any of that, Poch doesnt need to be playing the players that are supposedly the issue.

Sanchez and Alli on the bench, the future - the players supposed to be part of "2.0" - sat there watching Eriksen and Alderweireld tossing the game?

Thats nothing to do with being backed, with the board, buys, or anything. Thats a definitive decision Poch made.

Problem is this has been building for a year, it’s not a few bad weeks at the start of a season, he has lost the dressing room imo, we can’t go like this until the end of the season
but he went two windows with no buys, and the buys we have had, one loaned back, two injured and only one has been playing

the ones who wanted to leave, didn't for whatever reason (lack of buyers, prices too low) and they are most probably the least motivated but have are better than others we have-but without that passion, drive, everything slows and goes stale, and our opponents smell blood

Regardless of any of that, Poch doesnt need to be playing the players that are supposedly the issue.

Sanchez and Alli on the bench, the future - the players supposed to be part of "2.0" - sat there watching Eriksen and Alderweireld tossing the game?

Thats nothing to do with being backed, with the board, buys, or anything. Thats a definitive decision Poch made.

None of this makes total sense!

but he went two windows with no buys, and the buys we have had, one loaned back, two injured and only one has been playing

the ones who wanted to leave, didn't for whatever reason (lack of buyers, prices too low) and they are most probably the least motivated but have are better than others we have-but without that passion, drive, everything slows and goes stale, and our opponents smell blood

What’s the alternative give him the season when he has lost the dressing room and be in a relegation fight, and then rebuilt the squad in the summer, we have been trying to rebuild the squad for two years what indicators are there that he will pull it off next summer.

So we have gone from Champions League finalists to needing a new
squad or manager or Owner or all 3 in the space of 4 months.

Typical.

In many ways I feel for the guy, the contract situations and oh so nearlys in the transfer market has basically cost him his job.

Back