• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

This.

I am going to have to ban myself from here for a while soon.
I am getting so fudging tired of the negativity.

I want to see this place in May if he does (as I believe he will) turnout around.
I thought of a better response, but if you read the positive words from earlier are still valid.

We fund ourselves at a crossroads of sorts. Either we end up down the path of continued success with Pochettino finding his mojo again. Or we find ourselves down a continued slump that ultimately ends with what once looked unlikely. Him and the club parting ways, not because he wanted to go to a bigger club, but because the club no longer thinks he's the right man for the job.

When you see the negativity, the harsh comments, the knee-jerks. People are just having different evaluations of where we are in this crossroad situations. Some see the path of the continued slump as a foregone conclusion and are reacting accordingly. Others like you see the other path as the much more likely. Results and performances will change minds and most of us are wrong most of the time. That most certainly includes me.

In the UCL game v Bayern, we let in 3 goals in the last 10 minutes while still chasing at 4-2, so wasn't going to make a difference points wise. It was a loss, but the score was an aberration, a humiliating one that we have to put behind us...

HOWEVER we need to win versus Brighton and continue to get a run of form in the EPL, as well as UCL, for momentum and getting the players on board

Having absorbed what Poch said in his presser, I think he's right; there's a need for calm above all. I think I'm going to take a step back and let him get on with it, stop scab-picking and look away from the goldfish bowl before crisis becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
There is something to what you say.

The pressure, noise, commotion, narratives can all sadly have an affect, its just the latest thing to laugh shout and rant about. What's even sadder is it's mostly from people that don't give a toss about the outcomes.

And I'm 100% not saying that's anyone on here.

Carrying on focussing on and agonising over details I can have no influence over, which only ever leads to more and more extremity.

Surely that your job as a football fan or should that be Spurs fan?

Seriously though I think you are quite right.
My take is to care but don't care too much and don't let it grind you down.

I think this is an interesting post. I have actually been thinking that people might have slightly different approaches to supporting a club - for some the managers and players seem to be seen as temporary servants to the club (and therefore also to the supporters), whereas for others they seem to be seen as part of the club (and therefore part of what we support). I think I’m more in the latter group, so am maybe more forgiving of Poch than others.

Spot on, that’s exactly how fans can differ and perceive supporting the club. I worry that we could see in fighting akin to the other lots fans a few years ago where there was huge toxicity concerning wenger and terrible arguments.

I wouldn’t want to see that but fear we are seeing the initial rumblings of it. We could all be more tactful, myself included.

I didn't see any of Porto in the CL so can't comment on the quality.
Funny you mention Celtic, the team they beat in the eufa final, I didn't watch that either but all my Celtic supporting mates hate Jose because of the cynical way he played that game.

Similar with Inter, he generally played well but was then completely prepared to grind a game out to get a win at a key point

What do you think there are doing? Playing tiddlywinks? Good GHod, sometimes it beggars belief...

Unlike you, I dont claim inside knowledge. So I do not KNOW what they are doing at all. Though I certainly HOPE they are doing all the right things.

Beside which, you asked what I would do, so I gave an honest reply.

What a Trumpian response. Creating a specific narrative. Again, did you see my list? One person's mitigating factors is another person's "excuse not to manage" I see. Look, I appreciate that you like to throttle your debate opponent to death by a thousand cuts and diversions, but I'm not having it here.

Trumpian? Diversions? Needlessly antagonistic, Steff.

I did see your list. And I explained exactly how I see it and why. Instead of perhaps explaining in a different way, or - heaven forbid - appreciating a different point of view, you decide to double down and get shirty.

Youve listed, for the most part, things all managers deal with. So is it really a reason for the management to be failing?

The extras, like bad attitudes in the squad - that is absolutely for the manager to reslove. Poch, I believe, has that in his power - and he has proven it in the past.

Of course, your other scenario is that Lamela cannot fudging play all the fudging time and needs to be protected so as he doesn't break down again as he has every other season!!!!!!! You have a squad, you use it as best you can regardless of clams or no clams. Did you ever consider it might be FOR Lamela as much as not? Because trust me, if Poch plays Lamela three games in a row and he breaks down, the knives will come flying out.

Poch played Lamela 1 time out of 3. He also has Alli as an alternative. He also has a change of formation and use of Moura as an alternative. Yes, use the squad of players that are committed and will perform. He is not obligated to deal with Eriksen if Eriksen is a problem.

And have various senior players grumble? Let me ask you a question; has it crossed your mind that already there might be a couple of others pushing the "ago" button? Does he ship them all out to Ajax to train>? Or Milton Keynes? Or wherever? Besides, when you don't HAVE the player you signed to make that switch fit (we're back to that "excuse" list again) then it is pretty fudging hard to do it. Of course, he DID do it against Bayern, and for 35 minutes it was great (albeit you and a couple of others didn't agree) and he has tried a few times this season. For you to simply accuse him of not managing is frankly ludicrous and an insult to him.

Yes, you do. You remove the cancerous elements and work with the healthy squad that remains.

YOU are the one telling me that Poch has been underperforming because he is all sad transfers didnt happen. And in the same breath tell me he is doing the best he can as a manager?

All Im saying, and have consistently said, is its up to Poch to get the best out of the group available. If a player isnt on board - make them unavailable and keep the good vibes rolling. I have also said, consistently, that all the time there is a plan in place, clear ideas on the field, people will be supportive even if results are poor.

How unreasonable is that?! Thinking the man in charge, the man who has done the exact thing Im talking about in the past - and appears not to be - is the one who can make the difference. Rather than just buying into the boo-hoo he couldnt sell players, boo-hoo some players arent fit yet excuse cycle...

Oh yes, I see it very, very clearly, and I think you have pot-boiled managing Tottenham Hotspur down to the equivalence of managing a petrol station. I agree with all who say they think the diamond should be ditched, but I will add that IF Poch has not earned the respect of us enough to ponder that there might -just might- be a mitigating factor or two behind why he is doing it, then we are in a sad place as a fan base.

I really havent. Ive tried to remove the noise surrounding the situation to recognise the actual core of it.

Poch is the manager. His job is to deal with constraints. He has done it wonderfully over the last 5 years. As you should know Ive been a strong advocate for him the whole time.

What Im looking for now is to see him do it some more, and what Im seeing leaves me feeling very uneasy.

Pretty much everything he has done since being here has made sense. There has been an obvious benefit to it. And even when he was playing Mason and Bentaleb and Kane having bombed out senior players - everyone was on board.

His persistence with the diamond is the opposite of all that. It makes no sense. Even lay people here can see better alternatives. The BM performance was called out, on here, an hour before kick off. If people are able to forsee that, but not what on earth the manager is doing, I think its only fair to raise a hand and say you dont think things are looking good.

At no point does that mean I dont want Poch to succeed, or that I dont think he has the ability, or that I dont think he deserves the chance.

Its simply recognition of - what the fudge is going on? and Why does Poch seem to be getting it so wrong?

The analogy only bears partial parity. Fergie was 45 when he took over Man U, having won a European trophy with Aberdeen and managed Scotland during a World Cup Finals. It took him four seasons to win the FA Cup. It took him seven to win the title.You could argue that Poch has been as successful in 6, having lost two finals, one of which was the biggest club final in world football, as well as helping us enter the 21st century and re-establish as major force in world club football.

I hope he want to be with us, because if he does, in MY opinion, we need to give him everything he wants. Everything. Because I believe he will bring us silverware if we do.

I think you raise an interesting point re: assts, and have noted that he himself says they need to refresh aspects of training.

More than anything, I hope he hunkers down and gives no-one -the media, his critics in our fanbase, no-one- the chance to take swings at him.

I agree. The analogy wasnt mine. I was just pointing to the difference between Poch suddenly becoming distant (as reported) and Fergie not being heavily involved in training.

I agree completely that Id love nothing more than for him to pull it round.

And I agree he should be given the chance.

The ONLY problem I have with that approach, is doing so completely blind of any sort of plan/direction. I think Poch needs to provide the road we will travel, so we can follow him down it. Otherwise, what if Poch has actually lost his mind and we are just fudging ourselves up?

NO!!!!! He did NOT "keep them around"...Toby priced himself out of a move with his wage demands. Eriksen would not be sold to anyone he did not want to go to and would not sign a contract extension, christ, there were MANY efforts made. Did you know, for example, that (reportedly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) AM came in for him BEFORE Tripper, but he didn't want to go there? WTF can Pochettino do about that? What can he do about Alderweirteld thinking he can get one hundred and eighty grand a week and holding out for it? Rose was close to being sold several times, as for Wanyama, you saw what happened. HOW are these the manager's fault? Please. Explain.

They arent. I have never once said they were. I have, many times, stated the situation with Eriksen is entirely of his design, we were powerless, for example.

That is not my point at all.

YOU say Poch has an issue with these players still being here.

I say, he is under no obligation to have them in the squad or with the team.

THAT is well within his power. Poch can resolve the issue you describe himself. That is all.

0-1. Maupassant. 2 mins Another Lloris howler. That is why I would have started Gazza who is now coming on for a self injured Hugo.

Back