• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Some european team ***

Xg can be useful over a longer time period e.g. 20 games, but for 1/2 a game or 1 game it is inaccurate.
To say xG is inaccurate for 1/2 or 1 game kind of misses the point of xG. What it tries to do is show you what the likely result would be given the chances the teams had and conceded. It's something to compare to when you look at a result. When you see Genk - Napoli 0-0 (xG 0.95 - 3.60) and you wonder whether the game was a snoozefest or how fair the result was, xG will give you an indication of that.

Well, if it makes you happy to believe that they were that much better, then please don't let me burst your bubble.

Hilarious. You're trying to convince people we lost only because of "supernatural" finishing, otherwise there wasn't much difference, and I'm the one in a bubble?

How could it possibly make me happy to have been so poor and lose so badly? What a ridiculous statement.

There was one team out there last night, not two. The difference was far more than finishing.

It’s all conjecture and speculation on our part but from what I see, I think the players have maybe stopped believing in him.

He’s sent out very mixed messages over the summer about his squad, his role and his future. How can he preach unity and togetherness with the nonsense he’s been spouting to the press? You can’t stand behind a fella who looks like he wants to leave the club. I also think he’s too bloody emotional. I will admit that this is hindsight because I didn’t call it at the time but his reaction in Amsterdam was a bit much. Yes it was an emotional evening and all of us felt it but you want your leader saying “Alright lads, enjoy the moment but we’ve got a final to win”. I don’t want him blubbing on tv and thanking the football gods. I know that’s harsh but when you throw in the nonsense about auras and lemons and the inconsistency in his approach, I just think what we’re seeing on the pitch right now is a manifestation of a manager who has lost respect and who isn’t in control of himself, much less his squad of players.

Other people will have a different view and that’s fair enough. Before I get totally flamed, it is just an opinion.

Top post, feel the same.

You have to wonder if there were other targets in the summer that we missed out on who were dcms that we didn't hear about..you would hope so at least anyway...

Indeed. When your midfield quartet provide this little protection to the back line it’s unlikely to end well when playing against one of Europe’s established giants... as I saw from close quarters in the East Stand last night :eek:

9BA29DED-2D94-45F8-B9DB-8F203FECDEB5.png 556881F2-2767-41F7-85D5-B72D4620EF39.png

Thankfully our ageing Dutchmen were able to keep their scoring down to single figures.

B6B01833-8515-4AB8-826C-F01FCD64D718.png2DA1B2A0-2FF6-4804-97BE-A970AD9EA307.png

Last edited:
This is one of those where watching the game tells you more than the stats. Firstly, they had 10 shots on target in the game I think. That’s very much on the high side for us to be conceding. Yes they were clinical but f**k me, we cough up a lot of chances.

Secondly, there is acres of space in front of our back 4. It’s happened in several games this season. And the amount of times a ball over the top completely exposes our centre backs is criminal. They are terrified of pace. In the first half, the first chance came when Toby was one on one. He was done for pace and fell over. One of the goals last night, he backed off, backed off, backed off because he was terrified of committing and being done. Eventually, the fella had a chance to slot it past Hugo and did it. We can’t defend high up the pitch with Toby and Jan and we can’t defend deep if they don’t have someone with a defensive brain sitting in front of them.

The Leicester game, Maddison scores the winner from the edge of our box. Was there a challenge? Not that I recall. Last night, the equaliser comes from Ndombele wafting a leg rather than putting in a proper challenge or, failing that, not committing and just making life awkward for the Bayern player. The Olympiacos goal that gets them back in the game comes from a bit of pace that terrified Davies and Jan.

We’re open and we’re easy to score against. And it’s not improving.
We have acres of space in front of our defence because we have a player at the base of our midfield diamond that doesn’t know how to defend. Replace him with a player that does and we’ll instantly improve in this respect IMO.

Also while they had 1o shots on target we had 8 ourselves and many of them being decent one on one type chances.

There was nothing supernatural about it. It was high quality, but they were gifted chance after chance. We deserved the spanking we got.
They actually weren’t gifted chance after chance until our shape went completely mental in the last part of the game. In the first half they had very few chances.... perhaps 3 half chances compared to 4 or 5 big chances for us. They just scored 2 of those 3 half chances.

They actually weren’t gifted chance after chance until our shape went completely mental in the last part of the game. In the first half they had very few chances.... perhaps 3 half chances compared to 4 or 5 big chances for us. They just scored 2 of those 3 half chances.
Strange how they had very few chances in the first half given that we "have a player at the base of the diamond that can't defend".

The problem isn't with individual players. It's that we're playing a system everyone fails with.

We must have very different definitions of chances then.

How else do we explain my watching the game and thinking we were gifting them opportunity for no effort at all?

Strange how they had very few chances in the first half given that we "have a player at the base of the diamond that can't defend".

The problem isn't with individual players. It's that we're playing a system everyone fails with.

Have you seen my post in the other thread looking at each goal individually? When I did that, it actually looked to me as if it was very much individual players that were the biggest issue. Would be interested to hear an alternative view on how it was the system at fault for each of those goals.

Have you seen my post in the other thread looking at each goal individually? When I did that, it actually looked to me as if it was very much individual players that were the biggest issue. Would be interested to hear an alternative view on how it was the system at fault for each of those goals.

I think one of the hardest things to gauge when people are not in the stadium is the vibe. And there is no doubt whatsoever that the vibe absolutely drained from us when the 5th went in. We didn’t manage to kick on after making it 2-4. But the vibe went, and certain players simply downed tools or lost their discipline. THAT was what really got me.

I think we were also very naive re:Gnabry. Very.

Back