• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

Im sure he does too but my point was more that he is probably earmarked for the base of the diamond with Lo Celso and Ndombele for the two positions in front and it will be Dier or Winks rather than both on the pitch together

Given Pochs penchant for not playing explicit width from forwards, but instead being quite happy to see players come in from the flank I dont think its impossible we could see something like this:

...................Dier
.........Ndombele.....Winks
Lo Celso.........................Son
....................Kane

With an attacking fullback set up....

Im sure he does too but my point was more that he is probably earmarked for the base of the diamond with Lo Celso and Ndombele for the two positions in front and it will be Dier or Winks rather than both on the pitch together

Well i guess we will see, its good to have options in M/F again though.

Can we just accept he's not the lovechild of Modric and Pirlo. A tidy player who needs to be playing alongside an enforcer who offers him some protection.[/QUOTE]
I don’t think anyone has ever said different to this. Totally ridiculous that the sole midfield defensive responsibility is on his shoulders. Yet also if we don’t create anything it’s solely Winks as well. Everyone else in midfield gets a pass in this diamond it seems.

Can we just accept he's not the lovechild of Modric and Pirlo. A tidy player who needs to be playing alongside an enforcer who offers him some protection.

It's why I thought he would be the one to miss out when Ndombele is up to speed, and still do. He's not defensively solid enough to be the defensive pivot, and isn't as good as Ndombele at holding the ball and playing penetrative passes

He's a good player in his own right, and would be a good choice when paired with a DM. But so would Ndombele - and neither of them offer the solidity in midfield we desperately need by themselves.

I like Winks but he doesn't have the game for base to a high enough standard. Next to Ndombele with someone mobile behind he could show some of his talent but the base doesn't suit him.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

There’s a good player in there but he needs to spend more time in the gym, he needs to be quicker and stronger.

I know he gifted a goal. But I actually thought he did okay tonight. He's been improving, but he is not an elite CL level player. He's brushed off the ball too easily. With Dier behind him he might have more license to play his game driving forward with the ball (good at it) and passing.

It's why I thought he would be the one to miss out when Ndombele is up to speed, and still do. He's not defensively solid enough to be the defensive pivot, and isn't as good as Ndombele at holding the ball and playing penetrative passes

He's a good player in his own right, and would be a good choice when paired with a DM. But so would Ndombele - and neither of them offer the solidity in midfield we desperately need by themselves.

Playing Ndombele as the sitting DM would be a absolute travesty and waste of talent, Winks and Ndombele and I guess Sissoko should all be competing for the same place in the team.

I know he gifted a goal. But I actually thought he did okay tonight. He's been improving, but he is not an elite CL level player. He's brushed off the ball too easily. With Dier behind him he might have more license to play his game driving forward with the ball (good at it) and passing.

that goal was a killer tonight, and it was basic, he got beaten physically, beaten at a metric completely in his own control

that goal was a killer tonight, and it was basic, he got beaten physically, beaten at a metric completely in his own control

He's a good squad player but not an elite-level player. We are still fortunate to have him. He can also develop more. He has kicked on. I never thought he'd get this far. So credit to him.

He's a good squad player but not an elite-level player. We are still fortunate to have him. He can also develop more. He has kicked on. I never thought he'd get this far. So credit to him.

like so many of our players, he’ll be the player he settles to be, he’s got the technique but has he got the mindset

like so many of our players, he’ll be the player he settles to be, he’s got the technique but has he got the mindset

I actually think its the other way round. He has the mindset. But not the physical attributes. The way he has kicked on, improved his game, and played well against top teams shows he has mental strength and determination. But he'll never be physically strong. Modric's powerful legs and ability to turn away from players is not something Winks is ever going to emulate fully.

I actually think its the other way round. He has the mindset. But not the physical attributes. The way he has kicked on, impreoved him game and played well against top teams shows he has mentel strength and determination. But he'll never be physically strong. Modric's powerful legs and ability to turn away from players is not something Winks is ever going to emulate fully.

I disagree, look at what Kane has done, if you want a more extreme example look at what Bale did when he moved to Madrid, his weight must have doubled and the increase was all muscle, or to another level beyond that, Rooney not getting fat.

Anybody can be any shape and size they desire if they put the effort in.

He'll be alright and has qualities, but not as what we apparently try to use him as now - a creator and distributor against top teams. He hasn't got the required vision and awareness to do so, I believe his unneccessary 360s are to buy himself time. They are not feints or movement into (a more open) position, he literally just spins around his own axis. As opposed to Scott Parker, who I think did it to look cool.

I dunno how anyone could think the difference between Modric and Winks is physical. Modric is one of the weediest players I've ever seen but is a genuine giant inside.

Back