• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pick Your Poison

Spurs under Poch aren't good enough for me and I think I'll go off and support someone else either

• Manchester United

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wolves

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Chelsea

• Arsenal

• Maybe I should stick with Spurs under Poch ...

Votes: 25 80.6%

• Total voters

NYSpur

Ryan Nelsen
I have been staggered at the amount of vitriol being spouted after yesterday's loss. There appears to be a total lack of any perspective. Smacks very much of a "what have you done for me lately" mindset. Well, Poch has had us in the top 4 for 4 years and just got us to a Champions League final. Not enough for you, well maybe other clubs might give you what you crave based on how they have started this season. So how about a poll.....

I have been staggered at the amount of vitriol being spouted after yesterday's loss. There appears to be a total lack of any perspective. Smacks very much of a "what have you done for me lately" mindset. Well, Poch has had us in the top 4 for 4 years and just got us to a Champions League final. Not enough for you, well maybe other clubs might give you what you crave based on how they have started this season. So how about a poll.....

Why would anyone vote for Wolves, they are in relegation form as well.

Much of a muchness

Also - you have missed out “remember the 90s” in the attempt to win cliche bingo.

Hahahaha an EXCELLENT post. I have, of course, voted!
What bothers me about the latest reaction is what it says about the mindset of certain "supporters". No one is above criticism. I have issues with some of Poch's decisions, now and in the past. The away form is of concern (although last season was beset by injuries to key players in the latter part of the season). But I cannot understand how one goes from raising reasonable concerns to concluding, as some have done, that we should fire our most successful manager of recent times and hire Jose Mourinho. Even a modicum of perspective should allow a fan to realize that the grass is not always greener. Just look at Man Utd., Chelsea and Arsenal where new coaches have struggled to take a team to success. And I'm old enough to remember in my youth the end of the Nicholson era, the Terry Neil era, relegation (and rebirth). Our current malaise comes in the context of three new signings that have hardly played along with disruption from players that had wanted to leave. How can one not give Poch time to see if the new additions do the trick?

Much of a muchness

Also - you have missed out “remember the 90s” in the attempt to win cliche bingo.
My point was that several of the more fancied teams have also suffered poor starts to the season, Wolves among them. And that short term thinking frequently leads to poor results, as our history and those of other teams has often shown. Or would you rather repeat the failures of the past by ignoring what happened then?

My point was that several of the more fancied teams have also suffered poor starts to the season, Wolves among them. And that short term thinking frequently leads to poor results, as our history and those of other teams has often shown. Or would you rather repeat the failures of the past by ignoring what happened then?

How much longer do you think Ole will have, given they are on the same sort of results run we are in?

Do you think united will hold fire on sacking him because of The CL final in 99?

History has also shown changing the manager can improve a team - this version of Mopo isn’t the manager we had for the first 4 seasons.

How much longer do you think Ole will have, given they are on the same sort of results run we are in?

Do you think united will hold fire on sacking him because of The CL final in 99?

History has also shown changing the manager can improve a team - this version of Mopo isn’t the manager we had for the first 4 seasons.
Ole will be gone by Xmas. No to holding fire, because he has no managerial track record apart from abject failure at Cardiff. Ardiles and Hoddle winning the FA Cup didn't save them at Spurs. Performance as a player really should not have any influence on retention as a coach. Poch gets time to turn us around because in his period with us he has taken a Europa League side into the Champions League and kept them there.

Of course the replacement of a failing manager can lead to an uptick in fortunes on occasions. Ramos being replaced by Redknapp being a recent example for Spurs. But the difference with us now is that we haven't been that bad -- no "2 points from 8 games." There are reasons to be concerned but the reaction has been OTT in my view.

What fancied teams? Wolves overachieved last season in all honestly and when the Europa was added in this season they were always unlikely to repeat last seasons feat, as for United and Chelsea it didn’t take a genius and was predicted by most fans they would struggle with Solskaer and Lampard despite the media tossfest over the pair.

This whole poll and topic is just utterly stupid, hardly anyone (if anyone at all) wants him sacked but serious questions and criticism is being asked of his team and tactical choices over what is now the best part of a year, but this defence force mentally by some of sticking their head in the sand and pretend nothing is wrong is just as stupid and irritating in its own way as anyone that actually wants him sacked.

Did not stop supporting us when we had some shocking managers.

So not stopping just because the current one has depression and keeps changing his mind about what he wants.

Decent coach but not keen on him as a man. Levy should do the sensible thing and that is nothing.

I would have Poch as the manager for next 2 seasons. To expensive to sack plus his fan boys won't give the next guy a fair crack of the whip. Best leave him to destroy his legacy like Mourinho does.

What fancied teams? Wolves overachieved last season in all honestly and when the Europa was added in this season they were always unlikely to repeat last seasons feat, as for United and Chelsea it didn’t take a genius and was predicted by most fans they would struggle with Solskaer and Lampard despite the media tossfest over the pair.

This whole poll and topic is just utterly stupid, hardly anyone (if anyone at all) wants him sacked but serious questions and criticism is being asked of his team and tactical choices over what is now the best part of a year, but this defence force mentally by some of sticking their head in the sand and pretend nothing is wrong is just as stupid and irritating in its own way as anyone that actually wants him sacked.
I have seen numerous posts on different platforms by Spurs "fans" calling for his head. I'm glad you agree that makes no sense but, believe it or not, there are others who take the contrary view. My point is, and remains, that perspective can be gained by looking at the several teams that were around us last year and at how they have performed in the early part of the season. Whatever the reason, and you have cited to some, they are not doing any better than we are.

As I noted, I am not advocating ignoring Poch's perceived failings or saying he should be immune from criticism. But I don't think it is "stupid" to call out the approach of alleged supporters who want to chop and change six games into a season.

Picking up on an earlier point, statistically, a manager change doesn’t improve performances per se, it merely returns performances to par.

I have seen numerous posts on different platforms by Spurs "fans" calling for his head. I'm glad you agree that makes no sense but, believe it or not, there are others who take the contrary view. My point is, and remains, that perspective can be gained by looking at the several teams that were around us last year and at how they have performed in the early part of the season. Whatever the reason, and you have cited to some, they are not doing any better than we are.

As I noted, I am not advocating ignoring Poch's perceived failings or saying he should be immune from criticism. But I don't think it is "stupid" to call out the approach of alleged supporters who want to chop and change six games into a season.

Fair points and every club has their fair share of idiots, but the difference with those clubs imo is their are on par with where they should be due to different factors, we are underperforming whichever way you want to look at it.

Fair points and every club has their fair share of idiots, but the difference with those clubs imo is their are on par with where they should be due to different factors, we are underperforming whichever way you want to look at it.
I think that you would find that supporters of the other clubs would take issue with that sentiment!! :)

I agree that we are underperforming at the moment, but reserve judgment on whether this is a blip or the end of days until I've seen our new signings integrated and more games played.

Ole will be gone by Xmas. No to holding fire, because he has no managerial track record apart from abject failure at Cardiff. Ardiles and Hoddle winning the FA Cup didn't save them at Spurs. Performance as a player really should not have any influence on retention as a coach. Poch gets time to turn us around because in his period with us he has taken a Europa League side into the Champions League and kept them there.

Of course the replacement of a failing manager can lead to an uptick in fortunes on occasions. Ramos being replaced by Redknapp being a recent example for Spurs. But the difference with us now is that we haven't been that bad -- no "2 points from 8 games." There are reasons to be concerned but the reaction has been OTT in my view.

You mean as players? They definitely didn’t as managers!

You mean as players? They definitely didn’t as managers!
Of course! I was responding to the previous posters comment (which may have been tongue in cheek) regarding whether Ole would get more time at Man Utd because he scored the winner in the Champions League final in 1999.

Much of a muchness

You can only play "cliche bingo" if people insist on dealing cliches without context themselves. I see a real split developing between our supporters. It isn't great.

Back