• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

It depends massively on what he is facing i.e. in a 4231 formation, Winks and his partner have to face up to either 4 men (442) or 3 men or 2 or whatever formation he is facing... then people come on here and say he was awful, swamped, never seemed to have time OR he was great, epic etc... in each game he is still the same Winksy, but it depends what he is up against.

great stats but little influence in the game.
after watching the game closely it looked like olympiakos didn't bother to close him down as they wanted to press lower. Their focused efforts around eriksen, alli and both our right backs were nothing short of amazing.

Sent from my SM-T835 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I think he does what he's told do and does it to the best of his ability of that I have no doubt.
Maybe then we have to look at those setting the team up then!

great stats but little influence in the game.
after watching the game closely it looked like olympiakos didn't bother to close him down as they wanted to press lower. Their focused efforts around eriksen, alli and both our right backs were nothing short of amazing.

Sent from my SM-T835 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

He really offered very little cover as well, he was not alone - but he’s been part of a CM that teams go past with ease.

He really offered very little cover as well, he was not alone - but he’s been part of a CM that teams go past with ease.
Apart from the City game where we were carved open just about every way imaginable I think we've had a lot more problems in wide areas than through the centre so far this season.

To the extent that we have been open through the middle this season I think Winks has been much more a part of the answer than the problem so far.

Apart from the City game where we were carved open just about every way imaginable I think we've had a lot more problems in wide areas than through the centre so far this season.

To the extent that we have been open through the middle this season I think Winks has been much more a part of the answer than the problem so far.

I would pay Winks further up with a holder behind him, I rate winks - I guess my post comes across as I don’t - but the CM isn’t working at the moment.

I was hoping for a Winks/Dombele combo

I would pay Winks further up with a holder behind him, I rate winks - I guess my post comes across as I don’t - but the CM isn’t working at the moment.

I was hoping for a Winks/Dombele combo
Yeah, Winks seems better suited to double pivot alongside N’Dombele or further forward if Pochettino persists with diamond.

As he’s neither a tenacious tackler who can drop back and help out the centre-backs nor does he have the long range passing to launch quick attacks. Dier seems to be the best suited in squad but hasn’t even come off the bench this season.

FE4F0871-1869-4CD0-B8A2-4170836CAB44.png

he is not a defensive midfielder, he powerful enough (that's power not size), he doesn't sense where the danger is, look at how he runs from here to there when in defending position hes chasing the ball not sesing where he needs to be
he is a tidy player that keeps the ball moving, but that is not the role of a defensive midfielder, or an attacking midfielder
look at him would you be frightened/worried to play against him ?

This comes from someone who always loved Dembele and massively rated him, but I genuinely think I underestimated just how good he was. I actually think he could be spoken about as being a dare I say it world class player. People go on about stats and perhaps because he didn’t have the numbers in assists/goals he was never spoke about in the real top company. But he has left such a hole in our CM that looks practically impossible to replace, I’m beginning to think he was pivotal to us overachieving and of course we have other good players but CM is such an important position it’s no coincidence how fragile we’ve looked since he’s gone. Yes there are other factors but Dembele in CM with Winks, Sissoko or Dier and we would instantly easily look a much much better team and that’s a mark of what a great player he really was for us.....

This comes from someone who always loved Dembele and massively rated him, but I genuinely think I underestimated just how good he was. I actually think he could be spoken about as being a dare I say it world class player. People go on about stats and perhaps because he didn’t have the numbers in assists/goals he was never spoke about in the real top company. But he has left such a hole in our CM that looks practically impossible to replace, I’m beginning to think he was pivotal to us overachieving and of course we have other good players but CM is such an important position it’s no coincidence how fragile we’ve looked since he’s gone. Yes there are other factors but Dembele in CM with Winks, Sissoko or Dier and we would instantly easily look a much much better team and that’s a mark of what a great player he really was for us.....

Ndombele played just like Dembélé did
We haven’t seen it here but I promise you that’s how he played for Lyon

I used to hear the same moans by fans about Perryman when he first broke into our team. Players like them rarely get noticed for all the good work they do for a team.

Hopefully, as Bedford says, Ndombele (and Lo Celso) will fill that Moussa hole in midfield when they’ve settled.

As whilst Winks is a tidy little player he don’t appear to have the attributes to play at the base of a diamond whilst (judging by Pochettino’s reluctance to bring him off the bench) Dier seems to be a long way from match fitness.

https://statsbomb.com/2018/11/whats-up-with-tottenham/

upload_2019-9-22_12-32-26.png
upload_2019-9-22_12-33-11.png

Although Winks is the same age as Modric when he joined us, so perhaps he’ll overcome his lack of physical prowess and become world class too...

https://statsbomb.com/2014/06/gifolution-luka-modric-croatian-talisman/

upload_2019-9-22_13-29-36.gif

He's been better this year at sensing danger and has definitely picked up on that side of the game. He doesn't read the game as well as a dedicated DM, but he is improving. Much of our issues with midfield are imo a result of Poch trying to maybe do too much with too few players. Leaving three up field and expecting three in the middle to shuttle back and forth across the defensive line is leaving spaces and making all of us pick spacegoats.

Pochettino must see something more in Winks on top of his obvious hard work and energy!
I'm starting to doubt his real worth as a midfielder at the level we require now which I find sad as I've been a big fan of the lad!

Pochettino must see something more in Winks on top of his obvious hard work and energy!
I'm starting to doubt his real worth as a midfielder at the level we require now which I find sad as I've been a big fan of the lad!
Lots of technical ability, but you need alot more to be effective at the top end of the best league.
Modric developed after one season into a player who looked like he could control a game and destroy a team.
I would expect to see more signs of Winks significantly affecting the game or the opposition by now - but it's only been in flashes. As an opponent, I wouldn't look at him and think we need to do anything about him.
Need a rapid step up. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't see it.

Back