• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Spurs vs Leicester City

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm going to log off now so that this debate doesnt descend further! Poch should be best placed to judge everything - but that doesnt mean we cant have opinions and that he cant get things wrong. I can't see how Dier is less fit or match-ready than Wanyama
Chill dude. Wasn't having a go. Was just stating that Poch has more evidence than we do. The decision to play Wanyama over Dier based on information of recent games is not necessarily unreasonable.

Chill dude. Wasn't having a go. Was just stating that Poch has more evidence than we do. The decision to play Wanyama over Dier based on information of recent games is not necessarily unreasonable.
Based on today though playing Wanyama again in a top flight game would appear crazy. Unless he morphed back into beast mode.

Today mainly worked though against a talented and up for it Leicester. We should have won but the day hinged on two decisions that turned a win into a loss, VAR and bringing on Wanyama.

People are overestimating playing leicester away. They are decent but the Spurs of recent years would go their and dominate the ball, hardly misplace a pass and win 0-3.

That is what the managers formation and team selection is reducing us to - basically an everton level team who at best were leicester’s equals today.

It was an even game at best, either side could have won it. Acceptable away at one of the other big six but not acceptable at all away at leicester imo. Im glad poch has learned from dropping jan, playing sanchez at right back, will learn from dropping eriksen (as how the fudge can he not as thats twice he’s done that now) but if doesnt learn on this formation thing (and I fear he will not) then we are in big trouble because again he will reduce us to an everton level side when we play wolves away or wham away or someone similar and rather than dominate the game and hardly misplace a pass, it will instead be even games, with us giving the ball away multiple times and the opposition creating half a dozen great chances to score - that is not how these fixtures should be.

I’m extremely fearful he is going to continue with this three in midfield.

Mark my words if he keeps doing that we are going to come unstuck more often than not and he will get himself sacked.

People are overestimating playing leicester away. They are decent but the Spurs of recent years would go their and dominate the ball, hardly misplace a pass and win 0-3.

That is what the managers formation and team selection is reducing us to - basically an everton level team who at best were leicester’s equals today.

It was an even game at best, either side could have won it. Acceptable away at one of the other big six but not acceptable at all away at leicester imo. Im glad poch has learned from dropping jan, playing sanchez at right back, will learn from dropping eriksen (as how the fudge can he not as thats twice he’s done that now) but if doesnt learn on this formation thing (and I fear he will not) then we are in big trouble because again he will reduce us to an everton level side when we play wolves away or wham away or someone similar and rather than dominate the game and hardly misplace a pass, it will instead be even games, with us giving the ball away multiple times and the opposition creating half a dozen great chances to score - that is not how these fixtures should be.

I’m extremely fearful he is going to continue with this three in midfield.

Mark my words if he keeps doing that we are going to come unstuck more often than not and he will get himself sacked.

I thought Leicester were as good as I’ve seen them since they won the league but still not that good.
They bypass midfield and leave loads of room in front of their full backs
They don’t look to me ho have many goals in them which is why I couldn’t see them scoring .... until the VAR call

I thought Leicester were as good as I’ve seen them since they won the league but still not that good.
They bypass midfield and leave loads of room in front of their full backs
They don’t look to me ho have many goals in them which is why I couldn’t see them scoring .... until the VAR call

Yeah but the important thing is the team below dominates the game significantly, hardly gives the ball away and wins 0-3 or maybe 1-3 if one of their rare counter attacks came off with vardy.

Gazzaniga
Aurier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose
Sissoko/Ndombele, Winks
Lamela/Lucas, Eriksen, Son
Kane

Instead he picks what he picked and turns us into an everton or west ham.

Will he learn? I fear he has a serious hard on for this three in midfield.

If he does, we are fudged mark my words.

Yet our best form and overall performances came with Wanyama or Dier playing, I am a firm believer that a clubs best XI players all playing in their natural positions does not equal the best team, you need the workhorses in the team as the glue.
Those performances didn't come because we had a DM in Wanyama, they were despite that.

We should be trying to emulate the best teams in the world - City and Barca don't use a DM because the best place for one is the 1990s

Lots of bad luck in this game for me, plus some poor finishing. We played very well all told, riding out a few average performances too. Still early doors and if we play like this consistently, taking advantage of chances created, we will be fine.
Important thing is that we stay strong and stay compact as a club. Everyone will be gunning for us but we have to ignore.

My only concern is that we are unable to close out games when in winning positions. It seems bizarre. We have to learn how again...soon!

Game observations...

Sorry, Maddison is a cheating clam. Lying there looking for a red card when Sissoko won the ball cleanly.

Evans dangles a leg on Rose in the box - nothing.

Kane’s goal was brilliant, this after being fouled yet again when going through (I’m sure he took a dive though, right?!!!!!!).

Sonny has to score when through on 57 mind.

I know VAR goes for and against everyone, but that was NOT offside by any logical conclusion. I am not even sure I understand how Aurier’s strike can be considered within the same phase of play. He is clearly NOT directly interfering with play when the ball is fired in by Aurier. Has the initial phase involving Sonny not ended when the defender tackles him and the ball goes back out? I think it is a ludicrous decision.

If Sissoko gets booked for the Maddison tackle, why doesn’t Evans for the tackle on Kane at the halfway line? Bear in mind I don’t think either were yellows, but if Kane had pulled a Maddison and looked for a card he’s have got it.

Why weren’t any of our players attacking the 6 yard box when Sonny makes that move on 78 mins into the box? Criminal. Tap in.

I didn’t think VW was great, but for me, the Eriksen sub was one which was just as bad. AWFUL free-kick in the 80th min, just brick. His deliveries were all largely awful.

Demari Gray lucky to stay on the pitch for the OTT stamp on Rose. Foyth off for less at Bournemouth.

Those performances didn't come because we had a DM in Wanyama, they were despite that.

We should be trying to emulate the best teams in the world - City and Barca don't use a DM because the best place for one is the 1990s

Absolutely agreed.

I think the bigger issue is that when we bring on a player of Eriksen’s quality, we are entitled to expect more. He was again poor.

City have Fernandinho and Rodri. They are tough tackling and press resistant. That they are better at progressing the ball than our defensive midfielders does not mean they are not defensive midfielders. It appears that you think DMs are only Claude Makalele types.

For me, it's absolutely the case that we have struggled because we lost Dembele at the same time that the form of Dier and Wanyama has fallen through the floor. Winks and Sissoko are not true DMs. Neither are or good tough enough positionally or tackle as effectively as the other three. Until we address this we will struggle although today I thought they did reasonably well.
Isn’t Skipp’s preferred position DMF? As whilst Wanyama and Dier have suffered horrendous injury problems over the past year or so I’m surprised to see Skipp not given the opportunity to help us see out games. If Pochettino doesn’t think he or Dier are ready for first team football then why name them amongst the subs.

ICYMI in the VAR thread but just to confirm that a player can travel 14cm per frame which means that an attacker really needs to be at least 6 inches offside before VAR can overrule as being a clear & obviousl error, which Son clearly wasn’t!

Seems a fair point. This might be the only time FIFA is truly relevant to real life football but whenever I’d have a goal disallowed as a kid I’d put on an instant replay and trying to get it to be right on the absolute split second of when the ball is played is a nightmare to do.

It’s touch screens they use as well isn’t it? Must be even more difficult to do.

Doesn’t the angle of the TV camera also make a difference? The replays are never level and I don’t know how they generate the lines they have, whether they are programmed to be accurate or something they throw on.

Back