• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

It's notably sucked passion out of games. Player and crowd celebrations have become muted since the Sterling incident(s).

The Euro matches last week were really refreshing in that everyone could focus on the actual sporting part of the game again

Its also getting stuff wrong

I think the PL refs have decided that not slowing the game down is more important. So whilst there have been incidents where the VAR should be recommending the on-field ref has a second look on the pitch side monitor, they are shying away from that in the interests of letting the game flow.
Wrongly so imo and I think another month or so of ‘clear and obvious’ errors going uncorrected and they will change their stance.

I think the PL refs have decided that not slowing the game down is more important. So whilst there have been incidents where the VAR should be recommending the on-field ref has a second look on the pitch side monitor, they are shying away from that in the interests of letting the game flow.
Wrongly so imo and I think another month or so of ‘clear and obvious’ errors going uncorrected and they will change their stance.
Cannot see the point of the pitch side monitor. The process not only slows the game down interminably but also exasperates the fans who surely just want a quick decision. Personally I would prefer the VAR to be allowed to override the ref if he is convinced it was a clear and obvious error. That's the way it operates in cricket and seems to work perfectly well so why complicate matters?

Cannot see the point of the pitch side monitor. The process not only slows the game down interminably but also exasperates the fans who surely just want a quick decision. Personally I would prefer the VAR to be allowed to override the ref if he is convinced it was a clear and obvious error. That's the way it operates in cricket and seems to work perfectly well so why complicate matters?

Oh I totally agree the VAR should be able to make a definitive decision. But right now the VAR is supposed to advise the ref rather than over rule. So let’s at least see it implemented as it is (currently) supposed to be and then deal with issues of delays afterwards. Who knows, fans might decide getting the correct decision takes precedence. Or there might be sufficient demands for VAR to be given more powers of over ruling. Just don’t do a fudge.

I think what's behind it is primarily protectionism for referees and the policy of non-intervention will carry on, with the result that players in the English league will start to treat it as though nothing's really changed. Then they'll get hit in the face with it in the next international tournament and there'll be hand-wringing and rending of garments and a panic readjustment of the way it's implemented.

Because they’ve bolded the red line and kept the blue Line as .5!

Also if it hits his shoulder (where they have the line coming from) then they’d rule it out for handball!

We’ve been done up like a kipper I’m afraid.

Because they’ve bolded the red line and kept the blue Line as .5!

Also if it hits his shoulder (where they have the line coming from) then they’d rule it out for handball!

We’ve been done up like a kipper I’m afraid.
The red line overlays most of the blue

All these years football fans were asking for some sort of video refereeing - just the simple stuff, a few guys and the hindsight of TV replays - to make sure there would be no more Mendes no-goals or two metre off side goals. That's all fans asked for. A simple way to rid the game of the worst refereeing howlers.

Instead we wait. And wait. And wait. And after all these years - we could've had effective video refs 10-15 years ago - this is what we get; drama over millimetres, debates over decisions so close there is no way anyone can be 100% certain either way, and a system of rules so ambigious and complex that no one really knows what VAR is looking at and why.

And while the spectacle commences, blatant fouls like the one on Mane last weekend, go seemingly unnoticed and unpunished. It's baffling.

And this is the biggest issue with VAR. It's not what we asked for. Fans know that there will always be disagreement on decisions, and that there will always be gray areas where you can't tell for certain that the decision was right or wrong. And fans accept that fact.

We didn't want a utopian system aiming for the impossible 100% accuracy in every decision. We just wanted a simple system to rid the game of errors that are very obvious from TV replays. VAR isn't that system. And that's why it won't work.

I agree with Robbo above. As we waited so long they should have gone for the simplest system possible to start with.

All VAR needed to be was a system to get rid of the obvious errors:

> Goals for and against with a clear error (i.e. Mendes style, Terry Henry handball, miles offside)
> Red cards for violent conduct not seen.
> Obvious penalties not seen.

Basically a Video Ref alerts the on pitch ref to a f**k up, similar to how the goal line tech alerts them.

There should be whole match days without a single VAR call imo -- as it is, every goal you have to look at the ref to see whats happening.

This slow motion stuff is ridiculous (The Women's WC was a total embarrassment for VAR, but commentators / pundits just makes excuses).

I agree with Robbo above. As we waited so long they should have gone for the simplest system possible to start with.

All VAR needed to be was a system to get rid of the obvious errors:

> Goals for and against with a clear error (i.e. Mendes style, Terry Henry handball, miles offside)
> Red cards for violent conduct not seen.
> Obvious penalties not seen.

Basically a Video Ref alerts the on pitch ref to a f**k up, similar to how the goal line tech alerts them.

There should be whole match days without a single VAR call imo -- as it is, every goal you have to look at the ref to see whats happening.

This slow motion stuff is ridiculous (The Women's WC was a total embarrassment for VAR, but commentators / pundits just makes excuses).

That's is where I think it will end up! Todays second VAR was far too marginal IMHO!
The first one was good worked well!
The second was level for all intensive purposes

Someone in the match thread was talking about the video quality. Turns out a player can run 20cm between each frame of video.

So giving offsides closer than that is absolute *****s as there's no way of knowing.

ECbfEdTXkAErSsN

ECbZPrxXoAAZQ3a

Ends the discussion on offside really. You simply cannot say a player is offside by less than 20cm as you don't have enough video data.

Edit: There's more confusion though. Apparently they have super slo-mo cameras with 200 - 300 frames per second, but these aren't used for offside as they don't cover all the angles.

Conclusion: Dogs dinner :)

I'm annoyed obviously with my Spurs underpants on regarding VAR today - but I can't be too upset as we are going to be in guineapig phase with VAR for at least a couple of seasons.
Let's hope these anomalies are sorted asap.

Back