• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Early season training blues

superfaisty

Nico Claesen
didnt watch the game last night but did listen to it on radio 5 (fecking Alan Green are you of Greek descendance?!) but one thing I did pick up was some of our players looking leggy and way off the pace, and we started appallingly with no urgency, allowing olympiakos to dictate the tempo. Such a contrast to the way we started against Palace.
Made me wonder whether are poor start to games early season should be put down to Poch early season brutal training regime. Palace came after the international break when a lot of players were away from spurs n I suppose Poch wasn’t able to beast the boys in training as he usually does, which is why the players were more energetic?
Yes second half yesteday we came out with more energy but tgat was after a gonad*ing from Poch but is there something there which Poch needs to tweak training wise?

I’d almost get rid of friendlies. Other than as money making ventures I don’t see the point. Focus on giving players full fitness sessions over the summer instead, and play between squad matches. So a mixed team of players play against another of our’s. Will be as competitive as pre season friendlies plus allow Pochettino and coaches to pause matches to give additional advice which will enable us to develop playing style in different scenarios. By doing this hopefully the players would start the season with higher levels of fitness as this would be the focus.

didnt watch the game last night but did listen to it on radio 5 (fecking Alan Green are you of Greek descendance?!) but one thing I did pick up was some of our players looking leggy and way off the pace, and we started appallingly with no urgency, allowing olympiakos to dictate the tempo. Such a contrast to the way we started against Palace.
Made me wonder whether are poor start to games early season should be put down to Poch early season brutal training regime. Palace came after the international break when a lot of players were away from spurs n I suppose Poch wasn’t able to beast the boys in training as he usually does, which is why the players were more energetic?
Yes second half yesteday we came out with more energy but tgat was after a gonad*ing from Poch but is there something there which Poch needs to tweak training wise?

Hopefully it ain’t the cause, otherwise things are about to get worse :eek:

I reckon a mix of travelling there, being uncomfortable in a new country and stadium, the food in the hotel being brick and just underestimating our opponent contributed to our approach. A lot easier to be yourself and go out all guns blazing in your own home. Not really an excuse, but I wouldn't necessarily say its our training. There's just so many factors affecting the whole thing. I know I wouldn't be able to perform particularly well in that heat in a foreign country having slept at a hotel. :p

I'd definitely blame the amount and concentration (2 games in 24 hours at one point) of pointless pre-season commitments.

It's so shortsighted damaging our campaign for a quick fist full of dollars and yuan

I'd definitely blame the amount and concentration (2 games in 24 hours at one point) of pointless pre-season commitments.

It's so shortsighted damaging our campaign for a quick fist full of dollars and yuan
I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference. Pre-season friendly games are played at snails pace with the result not mattering and most players playing well within themselves. It is why the young players often tend to look better than they really are, as the more experienced players on both teams are playing at 50% of their real match levels.

I have been saying for ages that our slow start in games is largely attributable to being "overtrained". We definitely need to tweak this asap.

I have been saying for ages that our slow start in games is largely attributable to being "overtrained". We definitely need to tweak this asap.

I wondered about this ”overtraining” theory and could it have been behind our physical shortfalls in various games but then thought surly this is one of the main areas where Pochettino is meant to excel, so personally poopooed the theory.
Now I'm not so sure?

I wondered about this ”overtraining” theory and could it have been behind our physical shortfalls in various games but then thought surly this is one of the main areas where Pochettino is meant to excel, so personally poopooed the theory.
Now I'm not so sure?

All comes down to whether we are based on a philosophy of "working hard" or "working smart"...after 5 years, you have to wonder...

Back