• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

I'm writing this from a half dead Seoul Incheon airport, T1 airside, for an overnight transfer. It's just gone midnight and it ain't exactly the airport that never sleeps.

I was half expecting at least one cardboard cutout of Sonny, but there's been nothing so far. Perhaps there'll be something when more of the shops open.

Jebus.

7bvimxlth0n31.jpg

Two very well taken goals. Great run for the first, but so much work left to do after that, he made it look easy. Though the finish for the second was a lot harder than it looked as well.

Although he can be a little inconsistent, he seems to have matured. Along with Kane, Eriksen (probably Toby too) I'd say he is one of our 4 best players. Maybe you'd put Hugo in there too?

No love for Vertonghen?!

Yes. He's on the cusp. Toby's distribution just sets him apart for me. A Quarter Back centre back. Verts aint half bad, but not quite as accurate. Toby's ability to spray the ball long all over the pitch is as good as someone like Huddlestone or Carrick. Rarely does he send a long ball wayward. Every touch he takes he's moving the ball out from his feet ready to go long.

Although he can be a little inconsistent, he seems to have matured. Along with Kane, Eriksen (probably Toby too) I'd say he is one of our 4 best players. Maybe you'd put Hugo in there too?

He needs to play, I struggle to see how we can justify not playing Kane +1 of Son/Lucas (with them playing CF, not wide), too much attacking potential wasted.

If we play like against Palace with Toby playing as a deep making playmaker, +Eriksen & Lamela (both of which can play good passes) and eventually +some combination of N'dombele & Lo Celso, we should have no issue creating enough chances for two strikers on pitch.

Yes. He's on the cusp. Toby's distribution just sets him apart for me. A Quarter Back centre back. Verts aint half bad, but not quite as accurate. Toby's ability to spray the ball long all over the pitch is as good as someone like Huddlestone or Carrick. Rarely does he send a long ball wayward. Every touch he takes he's moving the ball out from his feet ready to go long.

Personally I think Jan's passing is at least as good, albeit in a different way. IMO he has an outstanding ability to fire medium-range passes accurately into attacking players' feet, in a way that Toby can't (or doesn't). A bit Carrick-esque.

Basing it on which one i would choose if i had to, both are very good players though.
It's a tough one. Just considering pure ability, I would take Verts over Alderweireld as he's just such a quality defender. However, Alderweireld seems to have that rare ability of taking the entire defensive up a notch.

They're both brilliant and wonderfully complementary. Replacing them when they retire would be one hell of a feat. For all Wenger's success at Arsenal, for instance, did he ever truly replace the defence he inherited?

But on the flipside he's poor positionally (of late) and regularly doesn't pick up his man, could be his age but Verts has superb timing, anticipation and positioning.

But on the flipside he's poor positionally (of late) and regularly doesn't pick up his man, could be his age but Verts has superb timing, anticipation and positioning.

I agree. But as our slim friend @FatBloke says Toby has a kind of voodoo quality. He has a nastry streak and determination. A little nudge at the right time that never quite crosses the line. His focus and determination runs through the defense. In a way it doesn't with Verts. But we are splitting hairs. On their day both are top notch. The thing that seperates them (for me) is Toby's passing. The opening goal on Saturday was all made by Toby's pass, and he did it all game. When given time and on it, it is like having an extra midfielder like Thud in the middle.

I agree. But as our slim friend @FatBloke says Toby has a kind of voodoo quality. He has a nastry streak and determination. A little nudge at the right time that never quite crosses the line. His focus and determination runs through the defense. In a way it doesn't with Verts. But we are splitting hairs. On their day both are top notch. The thing that seperates them (for me) is Toby's passing. The opening goal on Saturday was all made by Toby's pass, and he did it all game. When given time and on it, it is like having an extra midfielder like Thud in the middle.
Verts is pretty good at the dark arts too, mind. I doubt any team is going to give Toby that much time again this season.

Back