• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

I'm interested to see how Levy deals with Pochettino over the next 18 months.
Poch is obviously not going to be here forever and dealing with his succession will be tricky, to put it mildly.
I don't though think Levy will put up with Poch's mood swings for too long.

I hope it’s a long way off but in terms of a succession plan:
If a transfer budget is available that fits with our position as one of the wealthiest clubs in Europe then I think we are an attractive job in world football. The decision might be down to whether we choose a coach working on a smaller budget but has a system and improves players but lacks big game experience or we go for a proven winner who is used to having a big budget and may not build a squad for the long term or play attractive football.

Said it before, Levy plays the long game and in that game we are winning.

He needs to switch his focus now, CL regulars, Training Ground, Stadium, Global Profile, Financial Security goals have all been achieved without money doping, truly extraordinary result.
Our competitors 15 years ago - Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Everton, West Ham, etc, no question they are not even in same bracket anymore. Untouchables then as well (gap was almost impossible to see us closing) United, Scum, Chelsea

What's next?
- The current squad has real challenges in terms of even 2 year stability, Eriksen, Toby, Jan, Rose, Aurier as 5 first team players who almost left, wanted to leave and have no long term commitment.
- How do we start winning stuff?

I think we will have his full focus now, so very interested to see where he goes now.
Top post.

The one thing we haven’t done well recently is spend big money, hopefully the signings from this summer buck the trend and their success will also be due to being Poch’s first choices.

Previous big signings made me feel like Levy had sorted by % discount rather than being the first choice targets.

I hope it’s a long way off but in terms of a succession plan:
If a transfer budget is available that fits with our position as one of the wealthiest clubs in Europe then I think we are an attractive job in world football. The decision might be down to whether we choose a coach working on a smaller budget but has a system and improves players but lacks big game experience or we go for a proven winner who is used to having a big budget and may not build a squad for the long term or play attractive football.

Interestingly my view on it and what @StephenH said is
- Poch is safe this season obviously, a crawl to the finish line (ala last season) with barely 4th, no Silverware and key players still wanting out will put him under pressure.
- Levy has never gone cheap/unknown (Poch/BMJ most unknown of entire tenure) with his managers, we also pay one of the higher manager salaries.
- I'd be extremely surprised if Levy doesn't have a shortlist of replacements

My view in the model we have, "IF" we replaced Poch, the next person needs to come in to deliver (even if that means some spending), no point starting another multi-year project.

Personally i do not think Poch is going anywhere at this time and i refuse to get drawn into panic about what he has said in some of his interviews ( as some have)

However IF he goes i do not think for one minute that there will not be a line of TOP coaches wanting the job. And despite what some supporters may think most of that will be down to how Levy has rebuilt our club and taken it to the top again.

Said it before, Levy plays the long game and in that game we are winning.

He needs to switch his focus now, CL regulars, Training Ground, Stadium, Global Profile, Financial Security goals have all been achieved without money doping, truly extraordinary result.
Our competitors 15 years ago - Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Everton, West Ham, etc, no question they are not even in same bracket anymore. Untouchables then as well (gap was almost impossible to see us closing) United, Scum, Chelsea

What's next?
- The current squad has real challenges in terms of even 2 year stability, Eriksen, Toby, Jan, Rose, Aurier as 5 first team players who almost left, wanted to leave and have no long term commitment.
- How do we start winning stuff?

I think we will have his full focus now, so very interested to see where he goes now.
Very good summary.

I think it's important to remember that a bit of luck is often needed to win, particularly when competing with clubs with massive financial advantages.

It's not like there's something inherent with us that meant we lost the CL final. We came very close to a massive trophy. Leicester won the league with 81 points, if we had one of our very best seasons that year we would have won it, though if City had one of their very best seasons we obviously wouldn't stand a chance. That stuff is out of our control, to me that's best described as luck.

As for future progress... I'm glad we're continuing down the path of focusing on developing young players, using our strengths (training ground, coaching staff, Pochettino). Signing players like Ndombele, Sessegnon, Lo Celso and Clarke with the potential to be much better some years from now than they are now. Scatter in the odd established player when possible now that our financial situation is stronger.

The obvious potential stumbling block will be replacing Pochettino at some point for whatever reason that happens, hopefully that will be well into the future.

Good response. Anyhoo its different with dele, Kane, son who signed contracts when offered... Article is biased from or selective sample from the start.

Sent from my SM-T835 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Overall Levy has been brilliant for the club. The one downside of our success is players want to be paid market rate for their stature and position. I have no doubt Levy and Poch will continue to keep us in and around where we are now. Whether we can make the next jump to being serious title contenders or indeed winners and get to the latter stages of the CL more often than not remains to be seen.

I think Levy is the best in the business and his policy of building a solid foundation will yield results of that I am sure.

BUT the players recognise their place in that build, Eriksen, Jan and Toby have been big cogs in a wheel that lead to this success, its on their profile and performances in part that have added to this Spurs success story, they deserve the pay day be it at Spurs or leaving on a free to get that.

Tottenham refinance £637m stadium debt but purse strings will not loosen
• ‘It will have no bearing on how we run the club,’ says Daniel Levy
• Chairman defends his policy and says there is no quick fix

Tottenham’s stadium, here about to host a Champions League game against Ajax, opened this year. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/The Guardian

Daniel Levy has insisted that he will continue to run Tottenham on the balanced and relatively frugal business plan that has characterised his 18-year chairmanship after he announced a refinancing of the club’s stadium loans.

Spurs borrowed £637m from Goldman Sachs, Bank of America Merrill Lynch and HSBC for the £1bn project and the money was due to be repaid by April 2022. But through US investors Levy has converted roughly £525m of the debt into a bond scheme, with staggered maturities of between 15 and 30 years.

Bank of America Merrill Lynch, which acted as lead placement agent and sole bookrunner on the bond issue, has provided a £112m term loan and HSBC has granted a revolving credit facility. The idea is to limit Spurs’s debt-servicing costs and the average annual interest rate on the new arrangement is 2.66%.

Levy was asked by the Financial Timeswhether the refinancing would release more money for Mauricio Pochettino, the manager, to spend on transfers or new contracts for existing players. Three key squad members – Jan Vertonghen, Toby Alderweireld and Christian Eriksen – have entered the final year on their deals.

“It will have no bearing on how we run the club … and no bearing on those types of short-term movements [like transfers],” Levy replied. “I understand as I am a fan, clearly you want to win on the pitch. But we have been trying to look at this slightly differently, in that we want to make sure we ensure an infrastructure here to stand the test of time.

“We could have easily spent more money on players. Who knows if that would have bought us more success or not. The right approach is to build from the bottom up. There is no quick fix to becoming a much more significant global club.”

Spurs posted record revenues of £380.7m over the 2017-18 season and a pre-tax profit of £138.9m – the largest annual profit recorded by a football club. They say that they spent about £120m in net terms on transfers last summer, which includes a commitment to turn Giovani Lo Celso’s loan from Real Betis into a permanent deal at the end of the season for about £60m.

Elliott McCabe, managing director in Bank of America Merrill Lynch’s sports finance and advisory group, said: “The management team of THFC continue to position the club for long-term success by growing the brand through ongoing investment, particularly in relation to the iconic new stadium. This is reflected in the strong market reception met by Tottenham Hotspur as a first-time issuer in the private placement market.”

EFD0bj8XUAEfxmj

From this month's paper edition of Fourfourtwo. Now I'm curious what he said about negotiating over Halilovic and possibly someone else.

Back