• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Yep they changed their minds as it was stupid.

You have your heart in the right place but your conclusions are wrong. They don't line up with consensus environmental thinking because that has evolved in recent years. Cooperation on a global scale is our last punt. Not isolationism and allotments.

I think it's more that Thatcher and Blair have beaten down almost anyone with the imagination and hope to think beyond neo-liberalism

And now everyone blames Cameron, while the Lib Dems & Greens play the good guys.

240417TonyBlairelection.jpg

This is going to get interesting (in as much as constitutional law can be). If this goes against Boris his political career is in the bricker, I would think.

This is going to get interesting (in as much as constitutional law can be). If this goes against Boris his political career is in the bricker, I would think.

My conspiracy theory thinks Boris's old classmates' fathers will be on the bench today. He will be fine.

The decision in Scotland was that there was no evidence that he prorogued for any solid reason.

He can simply send JRM an email stating that he thinks he needs to prorogue in order to do everything he needs to do before the Queen's Speech, then prorogue again.

Unlikely - our judiciary is hugely left wing and very Remain biased.

Your just saying that to cheer me up!;)
I knew one some years back he was a good customer, a nice bloke did all the Bloody Sunday review. Mark Saville, he was not at all as you describe.

Green's take is that the Scottish decision hinged on the fact that no-one was willing to sign a witness statement saying the reason for proroguing. He surmised that this is because there is a paper trail stating a different reason (i.e the real reason) and whoever signed it would then be in legal jeopardy. This is probably why Grieve wanted No 10 to hand over private communications on no-deal Brexit. Receipts.

Green's take is that the Scottish decision hinged on the fact that no-one was willing to sign a witness statement saying the reason for proroguing. He surmised that this is because there is a paper trail stating a different reason (i.e the real reason) and whoever signed it would then be in legal jeopardy. This is probably why Grieve wanted No 10 to hand over private communications on no-deal Brexit. Receipts.
No evidence of a good reason, yes.

The inference being that Johnson can simply provide a good reason and prorogue again.

No evidence of a good reason, yes.

The inference being that Johnson can simply provide a good reason and prorogue again.
No 10 has already given its reason, but will supply no witness to corroborate it. JRM nor anyone else will not put their name to it.

Given his Trump like teflon nature, I wouldnt bet on it...

No 10 has already given its reason, but will supply no witness to corroborate it. JRM nor anyone else will not put their name to it.

Im not sure why there needs to be witnesses or anything like it, to be honest. He made a statement, "I want to prorogue because..." and did it.

Simple as that, surely?

If there are accusations of a more sinister intention, then surely the burden of proof lays with those accusers, and not for the PM to prove otherwise before then?

Given his Trump like teflon nature, I wouldnt bet on it...

Im not sure why there needs to be witnesses or anything like it, to be honest. He made a statement, "I want to prorogue because..." and did it.

Simple as that, surely?

If there are accusations of a more sinister intention, then surely the burden of proof lays with those accusers, and not for the PM to prove otherwise before then?
A fair point about Boris.

The Scottish court asked the reason for proroguing which in the normal course of events would have been a dotting the i's exercise. That the government declined to provide this reason in writing (and witnessed) meant that the judges inspected the merits of the case and decided that the stated reasons were dubious. And let's be honest here, they were, and that is one of the arguments being made in the supreme court today. However the battle to be won or lost is not the motive, but where the line is between law and politics.

A fair point about Boris.

The Scottish court asked the reason for proroguing which in the normal course of events would have been a dotting the i's exercise. That the government declined to provide this reason in writing (and witnessed) meant that the judges inspected the merits of the case and decided that the stated reasons were dubious. And let's be honest here, they were, and that is one of the arguments being made in the supreme court today. However the battle to be won or lost is not the motive, but where the line is between law and politics.

My point is - why would they need to provide a written reason, when the PM stated everything up front in a speech?

Statements already made, a matter of public record. And so its up to the opposition in the case to prove otherwise, surely?

And yes, we all know its Boris pulling a dodgy move - but good luck proving that... And yes, I do actually think he/the Govt shouldnt need to provide a statement, to my eye its been done.

That line between Law and Politics is indeed the interesting part, and for those reasons Im hoping the supreme court fudge this off as none of their business. I think a dangerous precedent is set when legal cases can be brought like this to achieve a political aim.

Back