• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

Id debate a couple of those at least. Lucas has been bright, but hardly ground breaking. Hugo has been fine, nothing to write home about (more, better than last year, which is nice). I do contest your point, I think Winks has been doing a lot more for us, at a much higher standard, than he is given credit for.

Which is not to say he has been amazing, there is clearly room for more to come from him.

Players dont pass if the run isnt made. See how that line of argument works? Its a 50/50 thing, chicken and egg. If players arent making space what can Winks do? If players arent showing for runs what can Winks do?

And if he just passed the ball into the opposition 10 times a game because he was being brave, but really just ended up inviting pressure, counter attacks and exposing us - I do not think there would be people claiming that is better. He would be getting slagged off even more.

I do believe Winks has it in him to be quite brilliant, but also that he needs the environment around him to facilitate. A partner that works with him, forwards that make opportunity etc.
I think Winks played reasonably well against Arsenal, poorly against Villa and poorly against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. He is in the bottom third of our performers this season IMO along with Sanchez and Sissoko

But aren’t crosses the least effective form of attack

And even less effective against packed defence systems

It’s why Liverpool actually play it wide to a WF like salad or mane and they then cut in centrally. The full back then overloads the wide area giving them options

It’s what son does so well for us and what we missed in the first 3 games (Saudi Sportswashing Machine he wasn’t rusty)
Fair point. Thinking it through a bit, that's more what I meant, except that I got caught up in the 90s and started wittering on about crosses. Force of habit.

Fair point. Thinking it through a bit, that's more what I meant, except that I got caught up in the 90s and started wittering on about crosses. Force of habit.
Liverpool's fullbacks are also excellent crossers of the ball. As much as we get the ball wide with Rose, his delivery is very poor. KWP seems ok but we haven't really gotten him wide in space as yet.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Liverpool's fullbacks are also excellent crossers of the ball. As much as we get the ball wide with Rose, his delivery is very poor. KWP seems ok but we haven't really gotten him wide in space as yet.
I've always found this strange, given that he's left footed and started as a winger. Davies has a better cross on him, as has Verts. On the right, Walker was alright but Trippier was a definite upgrade as far as crossing was concerned.

If only Liverpool had a striker who was good in the air

I know their FBs got a huge Number of assists but it’s not from traditional crosses. It’s clever passing and movement more than anything

If only Liverpool had a striker who was good in the air

I know their FBs got a huge Number of assists but it’s not from traditional crosses. It’s clever passing and movement more than anything
Yeah, I'm rather jealous of their FBs decent enough defensively, but excellent in attacks. Great movement and understanding of patterns and the aforementioned good technique for crosses or passes.

I know Stop! Hammer time but i really do not get the slagging of Winks for me he is the least of our worrys.

100%
Our issue is we have a reliance on a player who is a workhorse but technically limited ...
Can’t say his name for fear of death threats and abuse
Football so simple if you get your best players playing in their best positions

Does winks get a credit for a failed pass for the goal on Saturday?

What about the shot at the beginning of the second half?

Hopefully him starting this game signals that he's ready to play twice a week quite frequently.

If he can stay away from injuries I think he will regain his best form fairly quickly and hopefully push on from there.

I know Stop! Hammer time but i really do not get the slagging of Winks for me he is the least of our worrys.

Actually disagree, he will be a big part of our worries because he is part of a crucial part of the team that has/is not working

The two issues the team has is RB and the CM pair in front of back line.

Unfortunately a bad day for Winks has a disproportional impact on team performance vs. Son, Lucas, Lamela, Kane

I thought he had a decent game yesterday, not amazing as some people seem to think .. for me he was better Saturday.

Actually disagree, he will be a big part of our worries because he is part of a crucial part of the team that has/is not working

The two issues the team has is RB and the CM pair in front of back line.

Unfortunately a bad day for Winks has a disproportional impact on team performance vs. Son, Lucas, Lamela, Kane

I thought he had a decent game yesterday, not amazing as some people seem to think .. for me he was better Saturday.

I do get the point you are making about the crucial parts of the team and mistakes being more important, however i have to disagree that Winks is a weak spot. I think he is playing with various players alongside him ( and that does not help any player to settle into a rhythm). Winks is also/has been playing deeper then he usually would and imo that is not where he is at his best.

If Dier can come back from his problems ( injury/health) i believe that Winks will push further forward ( we saw a lot of that from him last night) and become a better player.

I do get the point you are making about the crucial parts of the team and mistakes being more important, however i have to disagree that Winks is a weak spot. I think he is playing with various players alongside him ( and that does not help any player to settle into a rhythm). Winks is also/has been playing deeper then he usually would and imo that is not where he is at his best.

If Dier can come back from his problems ( injury/health) i believe that Winks will push further forward ( we saw a lot of that from him last night) and become a better player.
CM is so often about solid partnerships. Like Keane and Scholes, Vieira and Petit, Dembele and Sandro (briefly).

Winks and Sissoko is never going to be a top class partnership, and that's without considering the revolving door that is our midfield.

I've got high hopes for Winks plus either N'Dombele or Lo Celso though. Winksbele or Lo Winkso perhaps.

But if he played so well yesterday then how come we were rarely in control of the game? It can't always be other players fault. He's there to control the tempo, slow it down or speed it up depending what's required and we got overwhelmed and couldn't maintain possession and suffocate the game

Winksy catches my eye because of busy workmanlike hustle bustle style!
I am though now starting to question his end product.
All the ’one of our own’ noise that surrounds him does tend to mask his true contribution.

Back