• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

~ OMT ~ TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FC v Liverpool FC ~ THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL ~ 2019 ~

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In the full article, it makes it fairly clear that the interpretation has been tailored to suit the style of English football. Riley does not say it in so many words but he implies that in some leagues a five-minute break in the <ahem> action to review a decision would hardly interrupt the tempo, whereas in English football, breaking up the play would be regarded as a serious interruption.

Riley expects two VAR incident per 10 games of footie, i.e. two VARs per full-fixture list for the Premiership.

Could you post the full article please?

That is bizarre. I would expect at least two per game. There are so many big moments per game with possible red cards, yellow, penalty, offside... way more than Riley mentions?

I think I misquoted him. I was discussing this with a friend and he reckons 2 per full fixture list is way too low. I'll see if I can find the original article (it was behind a paywall) but in retrospect, he was probably talking about occasions where the ref goes over to the off-field monitor - something the refs' organisation is trying to discourage with the mantra "trust the officials on the field" - rather than VAR decisions.

Apologies to all; this is how misconceptions get started.

you'd expect it to get that once its a few years in, once players realise they are going to get caught, they'll stop cheating

I think I misquoted him. I was discussing this with a friend and he reckons 2 per full fixture list is way too low. I'll see if I can find the original article (it was behind a paywall) but in retrospect, he was probably talking about occasions where the ref goes over to the off-field monitor - something the refs' organisation is trying to discourage with the mantra "trust the officials on the field" - rather than VAR decisions.

Apologies to all; this is how misconceptions get started.

So, much as I'd like to stick it to the Dirty Digger and reprint the whole article from The Times, it is behind a paywall so I will just quote a couple of bits under fair use policy.

The full article is here: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/english-game-will-be-lenient-on-handball-mike-riley-rjbf5pztt

Despite the handball law, which came into force across all competitions last month, Riley thinks that there is flexibility for English football to interpret it in a way that will not cause a big increase in the number of spot-kicks.

Premier League officials would need to be convinced that the defender was making a deliberate attempt to make the barrier bigger rather than extending their arms for reasons of balance.

VARs have been used by the PGMOL [Professional Game Match Officials Ltd ] in 69 trial matches and that has led to 14 decisions being changed. Riley said on average that a review which stops the game is used once in every five games.

So, a fairly sensible approach to keeping the game flowing and eliminating the need for defenders to keep their hands behind their backs when trying to block.

On a flight yesterday and the tv section had a CL Highlights programme. I watched it as far as our SF (and still had tears of emotion in my eyes even after the umpteenth viewing), then switched off. Couldn’t face watching the final. Didn’t help that the programme was narrated (in rhyme no less) by a scouser.

Was at the game and can't ever see myself watching it back (full match or highlights)
I made a crucial mistake of agreeing a sissoko based drinking game with mates.

Every time he did something a little bad, have a shot. Really bad, two shots, etc.

I was passed out after 3 minutes and missed the whole game.

Back