• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Looking more like the ‘let’s run it down and see where we are’ approach. So another 5-10 months of this dragging on in the headlines and off the pitch.

What I respect about the player is that he told us upfront that he wants to leave as opposed to Campbell who get on telling us he was going to sign new contract and instead lead us on until the summer and then walked.

He has been great.

No long bedding in period, season after season of high level performance and still makes a difference when running his contract down.

He has my respect and if we keep him til the end of the season and leaves on a free then good for him.

It just comes down to your definition of World Class, some will agree with you and some like myself have a different definition of what it means to be world class. I dont think he is because:

He doesnt turn up enough in the big games and win them enough for us like the very top players do. To be clear Im not saying he NEVER has, but the very top players do it consistently in the biggest games.
And by turning up, I dont mean him scoring a goal - that is a bonus if he does. I mean dictating the play/tempo for us which is primarily what he is there to do for us and what he does well a lot of the time. But when the going gets tough, where is he? How often when we are up against it does he take the game by the scruff of the neck like world class players do and say 'Im a WC player here, Im going to do something about this'.
Could easily be summed up this season by the fanfare his cameo against Aston Villa created, when he came on and started dictating things to an extent. Next game, against Emirates Marketing Project where was he then? Yes the whole team was poor, but if he is WC that is irrelevant - you rise above and drag your team with you. Like say Ronaldo does with Portugal as one example. Even against Arsenal, yes he scored but as someone posted in the match thread when our backs were against the wall something along the lines of 'when things are going like this, this isnt the game for Eriksen.' Which kind of sums it all up really.

But that is just what my expectations of a World Class player are, yours are different and thats fine. I love Eriksen and really do rate him, just stop short of calling him World Class. But I do find the labelling a player WC as a bit of a pointless debate as noone ever agrees on what WC actually is:D....

I agree, great player but maybe lacking the consistency in some of the bigger matches.

Incidentally that's been the criticism when he joined and over the last few years that he doesn't dictate the tempo and own his area of the pitch in big games like some other players do.

It just comes down to your definition of World Class, some will agree with you and some like myself have a different definition of what it means to be world class. I dont think he is because:

He doesnt turn up enough in the big games and win them enough for us like the very top players do. To be clear Im not saying he NEVER has, but the very top players do it consistently in the biggest games.
And by turning up, I dont mean him scoring a goal - that is a bonus if he does. I mean dictating the play/tempo for us which is primarily what he is there to do for us and what he does well a lot of the time. But when the going gets tough, where is he? How often when we are up against it does he take the game by the scruff of the neck like world class players do and say 'Im a WC player here, Im going to do something about this'.
Could easily be summed up this season by the fanfare his cameo against Aston Villa created, when he came on and started dictating things to an extent. Next game, against Emirates Marketing Project where was he then? Yes the whole team was poor, but if he is WC that is irrelevant - you rise above and drag your team with you. Like say Ronaldo does with Portugal as one example. Even against Arsenal, yes he scored but as someone posted in the match thread when our backs were against the wall something along the lines of 'when things are going like this, this isnt the game for Eriksen.' Which kind of sums it all up really.

But that is just what my expectations of a World Class player are, yours are different and thats fine. I love Eriksen and really do rate him, just stop short of calling him World Class. But I do find the labelling a player WC as a bit of a pointless debate as noone ever agrees on what WC actually is:D....

Basically my feelings too.

World class, for me, is about consistency at the top level. Constantly making game changing contributions by being at your best. And stepping up to make telling differences in the biggest games. Standing apart from those around you, bringing them up to your level (or dragging them to a win!).

As good as Eriksens stats are, I do feel he is lacking in making those telling contributions. He has never been one we can rely on in those games when we need a difference maker.

And its to my frustration, because I dont doubt he has the ability to take the game by the scruff and really impose himself.

In fact, Id argue our whole team is set up for him to do it.

That goal at the World Cup = World Class

A large percentage of corners for Spurs = Not World Class

He’s kind of a mixed bag :)
Probably helps that Eriksen knows that he’s the main man for Denmark and steps up accordingly but at Spurs he’s merely one of many star players.

world class ability, hit and miss execution
I like to view the definition of world-class in much the same way as I view slime. My kids play with it, but wtf is it? Is it some sort of primordial gloop or an amorphous sentient, a chemically cohesive coagulant (JRM eat your heart out) or just a fudging mess with the consistency of wet snot. We'll never truly understand it, and I also see the definition of world-class in this way. Undefined and as ephemeral as a fart in the wind. Also seagulls, wanton boys, Cantona.

Last edited:
That goal at the World Cup = World Class

A large percentage of corners for Spurs = Not World Class

He’s kind of a mixed bag :)

He's like a neon sign that used to say "World Class", but the letters W, r, C and l have gone on the blink.

Edit: can still make us tick, though.

WHAT? Dele is simply more versatile, thus can play in a different place and still be a key member of the side.
We miss Dele's intensity. Some look at the fact he hasnt scored and assisted as many and decided he's been poor, when in fact he has been playing a different role and developing in other areas. He is a guaranteed started for us, and we've missed him badly....

If we have to leave a REALLY GOOD player like Dele or Eriksen or Lo Celso on the bench, this is brilliant news for Spurs fans.

It means we finally have good depth.

Injuries, loads of games, every player will have their chances.

Back