• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

To be fair to Eriksen, a big part of his intentions was for there to be a quick resolution one way or another. He was clear about that in his "considering trying something new" interview and as predicted, jack all has happened and here we are having a player we have relied on so very much on the bench whilst those on the pitch play like a bunch of dingdongheads who've just met... Seeing that isn't going to make him absolutely desperate to sign a contract.

This isn't by any stretch a pop at levy, if a suitable offer hasn't come in then what can he do? The stalemate isn't good for either party..

To be fair to Eriksen, a big part of his intentions was for there to be a quick resolution one way or another. He was clear about that in his "considering trying something new" interview and as predicted, jack all has happened and here we are having a player we have relied on so very much on the bench whilst those on the pitch play like a bunch of dingdongheads who've just met... Seeing that isn't going to make him absolutely desperate to sign a contract.

This isn't by any stretch a pop at levy, if a suitable offer hasn't come in then what can he do? The stalemate isn't good for either party..

He’s not doing anything he’s not entitled to do.

What’s mental is that he acted like he’d had a firm approach from another club and vocalised it, either someone has dropped him in the brick or he was talking out of his arse.

He’s not doing anything he’s not entitled to do.

What’s mental is that he acted like he’d had a firm approach from another club and vocalised it, either someone has dropped him in the brick or he was talking out of his arse.

That's not how I view his interview earlier in the summer - seemed to me as though he was trying to court the interest of Madrid himself, only to be rather embarrassingly ignored by them. I honestly don't know what possessed him to come out with that comment but it all looks a bit cringe in hindsight

That's not how I view his interview earlier in the summer - seemed to me as though he was trying to court the interest of Madrid himself, only to be rather embarrassingly ignored by them. I honestly don't know what possessed him to come out with that comment but it all looks a bit cringe in hindsight

If that’s the case I agree with your opinion, it’s mental that he did it via the press, his agent could have done it quietly or he could have spoken to a player he knows at a target club, we’ve crossed paths with both the Spanish giants recently.

All of which he could have achieved behind closed doors. There was no need to go public.

That he went public, suggests to me, he was fishing for interest.

Which has so far been conspicuous by its absence.

I think he expected clubs to be very keen on signing him, and I think he has rather badly miscalculated that. And, to top it off, he seems to be the catalyst for unrest within the squad.

All of which he could have achieved behind closed doors. There was no need to go public.

I think he expected clubs to be very keen on signing him, and I think he has rather badly miscalculated that. And, to top it off, he seems to be the catalyst for unrest within the squad.

Maybe clubs are waiting to do a levy and get best value in the last day.

We are constantly told this is the best way to get value for money and do business

Maybe clubs are waiting to do a levy and get best value in the last day.

We are constantly told this is the best way to get value for money and do business

Entirely possible.

I think, at this point, its more the case that he isnt plan A for anyone, but a handy plan B for a couple of plan A falls through.

I dont think it is constantly the best way to do business/get value, but it has proven over time to be effective very often.

If you were (say) Madrid, looking from the outside in - I could well imagine Spurs being open to offers given the talk of his agents not even meeting with us and the unrest in the squad.

And, honestly, were I in a position in the club, Id be quite happy to see him gone at this point.

Nothing personal, and no judgement on him as a player, rather just the situation. It needs to be resolved, and the only resolution that sticks is a contract without clauses (not happening it seems) or selling.

We need to put a full stop on the whole scenario so we can move on.

It’s absolutely mental, amateur, and I would venture a guess that this is why Levy has fallen out with the agent. There is clearly a well defined playbook that clubs and players use to pressure the selling club in the media, and either get the price they want or increase the willingness to sell, but it is surely used when both sides are agreed on the plan. When Modric wanted to go to Chelsea, you can be pretty sure that Chelsea had already indicated they obviously wanted to push for him. Ditto Bale and Madrid.

Eriksen having done this with no sincere interest forthcoming is pretty embarrassing. Maybe that’s why Toby is back in Poch’s good books - through everything he has kept professional, worked hard and even though he could well be running his contract down in the same way, he hasn’t let it affect him and he hasn’t gone public with anything despite spending half the season out of the team with his own contract dispute.

I would also say, Eriksen’s way of doing it, ‘it wouldn’t be the worst thing to stay at Tottenham’ is so half arsed and again, amateur. If you’ve got no intention of staying, let the club plan without you and make your move - as long as you have interest in your services. Don’t just release a quote without any interest in the hope of drumming it up, and paint Spurs as the second choice. Be the villain, let us paint you as the villain and get your move. And we can move on.

He did it with good intentions but it’s been received completely the wrong way because he had no interest in him. If a club thought he was that good, they’d jump at the chance to get him for 40/50M or whatever it is and get another season out of him because of how much value he would bring to the team. But he isn’t that and he’s going to be viewed as a punt.

I think we need a new bomb squad. Or we need Poch to change how he manages, which may be possible. Fergie’s authority was absolute at United and once you crossed him you were out. We can now pay proper wages but maybe we can also afford to let people rot or go out on loan and pay their wages for the sake of unity. We absolutely can’t have this continuing cloud hanging over the club with players treating it as a stepping stone and a manager not wanting to deal with them.

Eriksen is well within his right to run his contract down, and to try and court a move. I dont believe he needed to to so publicly, but I dont have a problem with his situation. It is self serving, but there is nothing wrong with it.

My only 'issue' with Eriksen is his ambivalence toward the club. It is clear he wants out, and when thats the case its usually best all round if that happens.

Chances are they would pay the money.

Would be interesting to see if he was interested, or more intent on sitting out his deal hoping to appeal to Barca/Real next summer on a free...

Had he played this differently there is a fair chance he'd have had Levy "helping" him to get a move.

Totally agreed. The more I think about, the more I think the issue is that Poch is royally fudged off with players’ lack of commitment. I think he is open to helping them get moves if they really want out, but the idea that they are out there whoring themselves without any genuine interest is the thing that is getting his, and probably Levy’s, backs up.

I did think I could sympathise with certain players if Poch is releasing quotes saying he is going to move on players who aren’t right for us after the rebuild. That may give them cause to think there is no loyalty and it works both ways. But thinking further, we’ve not had a problem selling when a player wants out. We let Walker go. We’ve helped Trippier get a good move at a reasonable price. We’ve allowed Rose to stay back from pre season to try and get a move...it feels like we are more than willing to sell it a player’s commitment is gone and can’t be recovered. We treat them with respect, and probably expect it in return.

Eriksen has decided to create a saga even though there is no interest in him. He’s said that staying here wouldn’t be the worst option as if we are a good back up. The choices are we get the squad back to being fully committed and unified, which means selling Eriksen or loaning him to PSG or Brentford if we have to. And the others out too. Or, Poch needs to accept the days of the tight knit family club are gone and players will now wield power, and he’ll have to motivate them differently.

Maybe he does it, but I think actually this is more a lack of respect from certain players. By all means seek a move, and when there is interest try and make it happen. But don’t fluffy bunnies cuddling yourself out when no one has indicated that they want you through private channels.

Has there ever been other situations like this? Where players seem to want out, but can’t generate the interest they think they deserve? I really can’t think of any. A few people have seriously miscalculated.

It was pathetic at the time and yes, remains so. He wanted Barca for two years and when he realized it wasn’t mutual, switched focus. I have it on goor authority that AM came in for him before Trippier and he said no (I am obliged to say this is “speculation”). He and his agents have ballsed this up big-time. He should’ve hired me.

Back