• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Cricket Thread

The ashes are much more important than the world cup. It's the pinnacle of cricket

I think that you have to be honest and say that test cricket is a massively diminished sport and there are only really a handful of decent sides in the world now. The Ashes has been devalued by playing each other too often. Test cricket is the best form of cricket and it is everyone else who is wrong. Beating the Aussies at anything is equal to beating Arsenal.

The ashes are much more important than the world cup. It's the pinnacle of cricket

The World Cup is only one-day games, which is a different sport. A bit like 5-a-sides football or rugby 7s. Test matches (5 dayers) is the serious stuff. And England-Australia is the great global rivalry.

Ok, cool, thanks. :) Such a weird sport. You guys are such weirdos. :p

So for someone who knows very little about cricket, why is there so much fuss about England winning today? Is it like a world Cup final or something?

Test cricket is considered the ultimate test in the game, hence the name. But its not as simple as comparing to sevens rugby or five-aside football. The shorter forms of the cricket have their support and are far more important. The one day world cup is probably the top accolade for most cricketers, but the T20 form is where the money is, especially the Indian PL.

When I say the world cup is probably the top accolade for most cricketers there is an exception, the Ashes. These series between Australia and England rise above everything, the way no other test rivalry does. The possible exception is India and Pakistan, where the rivalry is so intense they rarely play.

The Ashes combine all the best aspects of England football rivalries with Scotland, Germany and Argentina. Tradition, shared history of the nations, intense historical and recent rivalry, classic games, and edginess.

Test cricket is considered the ultimate test in the game, hence the name. But its not as simple as comparing to sevens rugby or five-aside football. The shorter forms of the cricket have their support and are far more important. The one day world cup is probably the top accolade for most cricketers, but the T20 form is where the money is, especially the Indian PL.

When I say the world cup is probably the top accolade for most cricketers there is an exception, the Ashes. These series between Australia and England rise above everything, the way no other test rivalry does. The possible exception is India and Pakistan, where the rivalry is so intense they rarely play.

The Ashes combine all the best aspects of England football rivalries with Scotland, Germany and Argentina. Tradition, shared history of the nations, intense historical and recent rivalry, classic games, and edginess.

Thanks for sharing. Been hearing about the ashes for years and years thinking it was the nickname for the British cricket team. :p thanks for informing me. :)

Winning the WC and saving the Ashes makes for a career defining summer. If he can drive us to winning the Ashes, case closed.

Yep. I just hope he can keep his focus and discipline, because it's very unlikely he'll ever top today's performance.

Something tells me he'll prove better than Freddie in that regard too, though...

All you need to know is that the Aussies are in Sport the worlds worst winners and losers

Pretty rich coming from you and your fellow boo boys. fudging classless bunch of clams all round.

Fair play to Stokes though, amazing effort. We'll still win the series with the best batsman on the planet back in the side. Set up nicely.

Really got turned on to The Ashes during the 2010-11 series in Australia. Sprinkler dance at Melbourne was a hoot.

This has been an intriguing series with Archer coming on board but I still like the Aussies to win if Smith has properly recovered.

I think that you have to be honest and say that test cricket is a massively diminished sport and there are only really a handful of decent sides in the world now. The Ashes has been devalued by playing each other too often. Test cricket is the best form of cricket and it is everyone else who is wrong. Beating the Aussies at anything is equal to beating Arsenal.
Why too often? The schedule is still once every 2 years (or 2.5 then 1.5 because of the different hemisphere summers)

The big loss to test cricket had been West Indian youngsters preferring male netball over the past 15-20 years. South Africa, India and Pakistan all still have decent sides - the latter two just don't tour well, as has always been the case

The series has gone up a notch in the last 2 tests with some great cricket played by both sides

Really looking forward to the next test match

Why too often? The schedule is still once every 2 years (or 2.5 then 1.5 because of the different hemisphere summers)

He might be referring to the 3 series in 2 years between 2013 & 2015. That was overkill, a little bit.

The two most recent series before this one (2015 & 2017-18) have been among the least memorable for me. I put 2015 squarely down to this reason. 17-18 might've been other things...

Back