• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v Emirates Marketing Project***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Didn't see the second half, was out for a meal - how did it compare to the first? Thought City dominated but didn't really create anything beyond half chances, we've been in that position many times and the theme after the game is usually we got what we deserved...

Despite the result it was a very poor performance...

None of our players looked comfortable or inventive on the ball and we seemed to play as if in awe of them.... We looked slower and less determined to get the ball all over the pitch... Strange!

One last point, did anybody else notice that we couldn't even retain the ball from our own throw ins.. Emirates Marketing Project were always there first with a head or a foot and our players just seemed to meekly accept being outfought.

COYS.

Didn't see the second half, was out for a meal - how did it compare to the first? Thought City dominated but didn't really create anything beyond half chances, we've been in that position many times and the theme after the game is usually we got what we deserved...
Same as the first half

I like many was disappointed with our overall play but think it's unrealistic to expect us to go to City and play an open game with the way they play. This is a game where we aren't going to have much of the ball so should play 2 defensive midfield players such as Dier and Wanyama and look to play long balls in any space behind them. One thing is for sure we will play a lot better this season and lose, which we please some.

Not sure to what extent we were poor and how much of it was just City being fantastic. Either way we were very lucky to get away with a point. If we want to be title challengers we have to up our game considerably unless City implode over the season.

We were missing some key players, will be good to have them back.

That's what I thought we'd do, sit deep with 2 DMs to stifle their creativity through the middle and then hit the ball directly to the wings on the counter. Pace wise would've picked Moura and without Son might have gone for Nkoudou but what do I know. Poch's plan was ok but implemented poorly, City still managed to find so much space and our midfield was non existant.

That's what I don't get, shearer obviously knows his stuff and yet when it came to the disallowed goal he wae

Does it need to be intentional? Thought that was one of the rule changes that if it hits the hand/arm then a foul will be called. Sissoko's 'handball' in the CL final certainly wasn't intentional. Without the ball hitting Laporte's arm it would not have gone to G. Jesus and he would not have scored, correct decision. I don't like VAR but if we are to have it then that is what it's for, didn't deserve a draw but will take it after such a naff performance.

Changes to the law are outlined here,

http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/786/111531_110319_IFAB_LoG_at_a_Glance.pdf

That's what I don't get, shearer obviously knows his stuff and yet when it came to the disallowed goal he wae

Does it need to be intentional? Thought that was one of the rule changes that if it hits the hand/arm then a foul will be called. Sissoko's 'handball' in the CL final certainly wasn't intentional. Without the ball hitting Laporte's arm it would not have gone to G. Jesus and he would not have scored, correct decision. I don't like VAR but if we are to have it then that is what it's for, didn't deserve a draw but will take it after such a naff performance.

It needs to be intentional by a defending player

The new rule is an attacker cannot gain advantage through the use of the hand or arm at all

Not sure to what extent we were poor and how much of it was just City being fantastic. Either way we were very lucky to get away with a point. If we want to be title challengers we have to up our game considerably unless City implode over the season.

We were missing some key players, will be good to have them back.

Same I think people are being too harsh, city are on a different level, and let’s be honest we ain’t title challengers because we are not realistically getting 95+ points, unless city implode that’s what it’s going to take.

I’d love to know what Poch’s plan to deal with their system was, particularly De Bruyne. It seemed like there was no plan at all! We all know by now how he likes to play in that little pocket inside the full back and behind the midfield, but we seemed to have no idea who should be picking him up. Extremely frustrating.

Oh well, very grateful for a point and let’s hope that we look more prepared and coherent once the team’s more settled.

I think claiming we were out worked or outplayed is inaccurate. We clearly went with a plan to contain and frustrate.

What I found annoying was our inability to be ruthless on the counter. A draw is a good result but we could have had more if we were more composed when we actually had the ball.

But we didn't really contain or frustrate, we let them play their natural game and didn't really press, show energy etc - instead we just stood of them and let them play around us. It was like we knew we couldn't get a result before the game started so didn't bother to try. Very strange performance.

I do think that they can be got at, they don't have a lot of pace at the back and Moura showed if you run at them they can panic. He did one great move where he knocked the ball past a defender and managed to run right round him into the area, a better delivery or slotting it to Eriksen would likely have been a goal. That's the way Liverpool play City, run at them with pace and directness - might not always work but worth a go especially as we have the players to play that way.

We let them play.

We didn't have enough dirty players on the pitch willing to foul in the right way.
Dembele, Dier and Alli were great at this. Even Wanyama on his day.

We made 4 fouls in the entire games. Not a single booking!

De Bruyne needed to be fully cleared out in the first half when he was running the game.

What's funny is people miss this .. we had 4 fouls, City had 14 .. seems odd for a side that was dominating? no, every time we got the ball and tried to build our rhythm, tactical foul.

Make no mistake, what makes City dangerous is the mix of physicality, tactical fouling (that goes unpunished), pace and genuinely brilliant players (yes, fudging you KDB)

Let me explain what Spurs did well yesterday as very few seem to understand of want to give credit for

- We stayed in the game, no matter how overrun, no matter how outplayed at moments, we stayed in the game, hence we were always in a position to take something from it
- We were clinical, 3 shots on target, 2 good goals (not flukey/lucky, well taken, calculated goals)
- First team in 15 attempts to get a point off City at home, 5 of last 8 goals scored against them at home .. so for as "bad" as we were, we somehow seem to do more than others

And what City did wrong was not make it count, yes, lots of shots, but how many world class saves or last ditch clearances?

We have had games where we dominated and hit 20+ shots too close to keeper or in savable areas and left frustrated and without 3 points, this is no different.

I expected we’d be better, we were crap last week against a very poor villa side too.

Yes we are missing Son and Dele, but the players who have replaced them have been in the system long enough that they should plug straight in.

At the start of last season we were dealing with the World Cup and a shortened pre season, there isn’t that excuse this year, we looked good in pre season and knew about Son’s unavailability, our system looks wrong and players are underperforming.

City had more new player minutes than us today.

City had KDB fit and in form, Silva, Sterling and Aquero .. not sure they can complain about player availability.

Disagree re last week, I was there, to say we were crap is revisionist .. we completely dominated that game, albeit for 60 minutes at the wrong tempo, once we changed the tempo, game could have been 5-1.

System problem is the same as last season, the midfield behind Eriksen, Dele, Lucas, Lamela, Son, Kane (whatever variation of that group we use) is not good enough, not settled. Specifically Winks/Dier/Wanyama (Sissoko has shown he can play a role) plus we typically sacrifice a midfielder as extra cover for RB (haven't solved that issue), so we have bought N'dombele and Lo Celso to help fix that, but are we really expecting they would be settled in enough to manage City's midfield on the 2nd game of season?

Eriksen & Dele struggled for fluency last season in large part due to the sitting two behind, that affects our game going forward, it affects our possession and tempo (if they sit too deep, it slows the game down).

I think we are going to need to wait for a few more games, get N'dombele fit and up to pace, integrate Lo Celso, find a 3 behind Kane that works (likely Son +some combination of Dele, Lamela, Lucas, Eriksen) and then you can judge. In my opinion Skipp, Winks and KWP will never be in our full strength lineup and against City, 3 of "not your best" will hurt you.

Look at De Bruyne's average position yesterday (17):

upload_2019-8-18_11-7-29.png

I don't think we needed one of our midfilders to be tracking him, I think we needed an extra centre-back. I still struggle to understand why people don't agree that 5 at the back is the way forward against City at the Etihad. Without it, I think they're always going to overload you, as they did time and time again yesterday.

(Though GHod knows why WInks and/or Eriksen didn't step up to close him down for their first goal.)

Oh well, thank GHod we finished better than them and got the draw!

Watching a reun of the as I didn't see it live.
It's half time,
Points so far,
We were pants up to their first goal. Been OK since
All the danger is coming down their right, lining up to foul rose and there's as much chance a shopping trolley picking up kdb as Eriksen doing it.
Is Harry playing?
Lamela not having his best game but still our best player.
KWP doing well.

Back