• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

Another sport adopts VAR.

Now even jousting needs a video referee

The medieval sport of knights is adopting the most modern of sporting technology

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F1bdc0e40-b2df-11e9-9df9-ac98825b867a.jpg

The thunder of hooves. The splintering of lances. There is nothing quite like the sight of two knights in armour charging towards each other, weapons at the ready, to conjure up images of medieval England and the age of chivalry.

But at Pendennis Castle in Cornwall, the traditions of knightly combat are today being given a 21st-century twist. And the question might be asked: however did jousting survive without the video assisted referee?

VAR, the replay technology that has proved so controversial since it was introduced into football a couple of years ago, is now being brought into jousting to help decide when competitors have scored a hit on their opponents.

The sport, which involves two knights in 20kg of steel armour riding at each other with a balsa wood-tipped lance in one hand and reins in the other, is scored according to which part of the opponent the lance hits. You get five points for a hit on the head, three for the shield and one for the arm. Combatants each get six if they strike one another tip to tip — a mutual blow that serves both well in tournaments where the aim is to score as highly as possible.

Now you can't celebrate impaling your opponent in the moment.:(

It's good the Premier League have confirmed exactly how VAR will be used (see Glenda's Legs post above). If they stick to that then that's a step in the right direction.

He then proceeded to demonstrate that he can put his bottom lip right over his nose before settling down with some bread and dripping and his special blanket.

I still hate it, its just a huge distraction and hugely un-subtle. Its never going to be seemless so this whole stop start nature of the sport we now have is here to stay.

It's sad about Holloway, he used to be a reasonable pundit, brutally honest about his own teams, at least that is my remembered perception of him.

I’ve watched that replay again a few times this morning, I can’t get beyond Kane’s failure to take the shot early, why wait for the defender to get back. Just take the easy goal.

Why can't the VAR have the authority to make calls? Why do we have to protect the delicate little flower on the pitch?

Part and parcel of the soft soap being applied to get everyone talking about how unobtrusive VAR is turning out to be. Just wait for the shock and awe the next international tourney will bring with it though.

VAR needs to rid itself of the ridiculous stance that errors need to be clear and obvious. What is happening now is referees don't call penalties, waiting for VAR to step in, but when VAR reviews the situation, they don't take action because they can't deem anything the on field referee has looked at as a clear and obvious error. How the penalty situations we have seen this weekend are not clear and obvious errors, while the handball against City last weekend is clear and obvious makes no sense to me.

This weekend could have been a turning point for VAR where several key situations were not called correctly by the on field referee. If VAR had stepped in, there would have been clear evidence of the benefits of VAR. As it is now, it is just a complete shambles. There is no point in having VAR if we get more wrong calls than we would have without it.

VAR needs to rid itself of the ridiculous stance that errors need to be clear and obvious. What is happening now is referees don't call penalties, waiting for VAR to step in, but when VAR reviews the situation, they don't take action because they can't deem anything the on field referee has looked at as a clear and obvious error. How the penalty situations we have seen this weekend are not clear and obvious errors, while the handball against City last weekend is clear and obvious makes no sense to me.

This weekend could have been a turning point for VAR where several key situations were not called correctly by the on field referee. If VAR had stepped in, there would have been clear evidence of the benefits of VAR. As it is now, it is just a complete shambles. There is no point in having VAR if we get more wrong calls than we would have without it.

Its my favourite buttplug.

The Premier League do seem to be applying it as the official equivalent of BT Sport's ex-ref referee apologist (currently played by still-a-clam Peter Walton).

Unless we're talking offside of course, in which case get the ruler out.

Back