• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

To be fair we lost a few league games we expect to beat on paper last season, we only lost to Chelsea and Liverpool with our best available team in a cup semi and final and then an upset against Palace when I think we had some squad constraints. We just need a little luck with our opponents and hopefully the opportunity to rotate in the league as as well should leave is with less injuries and fitter players for the business end of the season.

I agree. Cups are a bit of a lottery, which is why it only makes sense targeting them if you have nothing else to play for.

At least he's been up front in acknowledging what a lot of people were saying as the game went on.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ttino-says-first-half-problems-were-his-fault

Yes the first half was disjointed and our players looked uninterested and non cohesive.

Fair play he brought CE on when I wanted and made effective adjustments to give us the edge in the game and crucially, three points.

Big test next week so I hope we’re better set up from the get go, otherwise I fear we shall be dealt a harsh lesson.

Yes the first half was disjointed and our players looked uninterested and non cohesive.

Fair play he bought CE on when I wanted and made effective adjustments to give us the edge in the game and crucially, three points.

Big test next week so I hope we’re better set up from the get go, otherwise I fear we shall be dealt a harsh lesson.

To be fair, I thought we were overwhelming them even before Eriksen came on but he did provide the final piece of the jigsaw for us.

However, there seems to be a lot of games where Poch gets it horribly wrong to start with and then has to make adjustments to get us going. I applaud him for having the intelligence to make the changes but worry that against a side like City, they could be out of sight if we have a terrible 45. Off the top of my head I'm thinking the Ajax games (particularly at home), Liverpool away and yesterday, we started the games miserably.

Thankfully we got the 3 points yesterday. If we hadn't, there was no way that wouldn't have been a bad result and stuck in the throat for a while.

To be fair, I thought we were overwhelming them even before Eriksen came on but he did provide the final piece of the jigsaw for us.

However, there seems to be a lot of games where Poch gets it horribly wrong to start with and then has to make adjustments to get us going. I applaud him for having the intelligence to make the changes but worry that against a side like City, they could be out of sight if we have a terrible 45. Off the top of my head I'm thinking the Ajax games (particularly at home), Liverpool away and yesterday, we started the games miserably.

Thankfully we got the 3 points yesterday. If we hadn't, there was no way that wouldn't have been a bad result and stuck in the throat for a while.

I couldn’t agree more to sharing a concern as to how we are starting games, seems to be an issue that’s plagued us for a while...players seem to be thinking rather than knowing what they are doing...to many touches, players unsure of their positions and so on...

It’s down to the manager no doubt so it makes you question his and the coaches planning and preparation pre battle.

Easy to say no doubt, yet City and Liverpool look to be better coached and drilled than us, every player more at ease with the system and instructions.

Could be a case for saying maybe Poch has tinkered a bit too much over the last 12 months.

Losing in that flat first 45 minutes display would have been a disaster for sure and my worries of brick form continuing over to this season seemed warranted.

Thankfully the game is 90 minutes and Poch and the boys got it right in the end and turned it around.

But if we start overthinking things and we are unsure of ourselves at the etihad, then the contest will be over after 30 minutes.

I couldn’t agree more to sharing a concern as to how we are starting games, seems to be an issue that’s plagued us for a while...players seem to be thinking rather than knowing what they are doing...to many touches, players unsure of their positions and so on...

It’s down to the manager no doubt so it makes you question his and the coaches planning and preparation pre battle.

Easy to say no doubt, yet City and Liverpool look to be better coached and drilled than us, every player more at ease with the system and instructions.

Could be a case for saying maybe Poch has tinkered a bit too much over the last 12 months.

Losing in that flat first 45 minutes display would have been a disaster for sure and my worries of brick form continuing over to this season seemed warranted.

Thankfully the game is 90 minutes and Poch and the boys got it right in the end and turned it around.

But if we start overthinking things and we are unsure of ourselves at the etihad, then the contest will be over after 30 minutes.

it's a new season which we start with a 3-1 win. there's nothing wrong with your interpretation at all, and at the same time, why make it? It will make you feel bad rather than good. After a year without transfers the over-tinker argument is an interesting one as well.

One win, new signings, new approach. We normally start slow, and this time we aren't. Villa are historically a tough matchup for us - they always have been even with trash players. We did well :) Harry scored in August too!

it's a new season which we start with a 3-1 win. there's nothing wrong with your interpretation at all, and at the same time, why make it? It will make you feel bad rather than good. After a year without transfers the over-tinker argument is an interesting one as well.

One win, new signings, new approach. We normally start slow, and this time we aren't. Villa are historically a tough matchup for us - they always have been even with trash players. We did well :) Harry scored in August too!

I only make the point because I feel all of us felt pretty despondent with that first half display, even after 60 minutes I couldn’t see us scoring, and Tyrone Mings was looking ‘world class’

I also think us starting games looking disjointed is a point of concern.

But yeah, despite my thoughts on Poch, I’m delighted to start with a win and to see Harry grab his first goals at our new home. Poch made effective changes with good communication so absolutely credit where credit is deservedly due.

I was feeling bad, but now I’m feeling good and looking forward to getting behind the team.

It’s natural that some of us are worried fretful little girls, I’m perhaps the queen of that...

I fear what will happen at the etihad if we start the game in similar vain, but from yesterday, happy days, absolutely the main thing is the win over the display and many positive things to work with.

I only make the point because I feel all of us felt pretty despondent with that first half display, even after 60 minutes I couldn’t see us scoring, and Tyrone Mings was looking ‘world class’

I also think us starting games looking disjointed is a point of concern.

But yeah, despite my thoughts on Poch, I’m delighted to start with a win and to see Harry grab his first goals at our new home. Poch made effective changes with good communication so absolutely credit where credit is deservedly due.

I was feeling bad, but now I’m feeling good and looking forward to getting behind the team.

It’s natural that some of us are worried fretful little girls, I’m perhaps the queen of that...

I fear what will happen at the etihad if we start the game in similar vain, but from yesterday, happy days, absolutely the main thing is the win over the display and many positive things to work with.

I don't post much on this board (but I read it like a stalker). You've been a spurs fan a really long time - how has the hope not killed you yet? The reason I'm so chilled out about what was quite a pants display yesterday (even though the scoreline was good) is because I have zero expectations (thats what growing up in the 90s does to you in Tottenham). I respect how much belief you have and at the same time I don't know how you survive the emotional toll each season :)

I don't post much on this board (but I read it like a stalker). You've been a spurs fan a really long time - how has the hope not killed you yet? The reason I'm so chilled out about what was quite a pants display yesterday (even though the scoreline was good) is because I have zero expectations (thats what growing up in the 90s does to you in Tottenham). I respect how much belief you have and at the same time I don't know how you survive the emotional toll each season :)

Supporting spurs without the hope is like accepting you’re going to hell without at least enjoying the debauchery to get you there. It’s an intrinsic part of the experience. Without the hope, you’re just a masochist.

We beat them last year in the Champions League at the Lane, and only narrowly lost to them in the league. With City you obviously have to defend well and beat their press. But, based on last season's encounters I doubt the "contest will be over at half time." Extraordinarily, given only 1 game has been played, (which we won), this board seems to be overly pessimistic.

The issue yesterday, as highlighted on MOTD, was not so much the formation but the lack of intelligent movement from the front 3 to create space.

I am sure Poch will address the issues ahead of the City game.

Last edited:

A stalker eh? Well good on you for posting and I envy your cool, chilled out persona.

The hope hasn’t killed me yet but I seem to be getting more pessimistic, fretful and annoying with age.

The 90’s were tough no doubt.

I believe we are ready to challenge for titles, and I’ll continue to hope we can get there. Getting closer and closer to winning as we have done recently just makes me more narky for us to do so.

We beat them last year in the Champions League at the Lane, and only narrowly lost to them in the league. With City you obviously have to defend well and beat their press. But, based on last season's encounters I doubt the "contest will be over at half time." Extraordinarily, given only 1 game has been played, (which we won), this board seems to be overly pessimistic.

The issue yesterday, as highlighted on MOTD, was not so much the formation but the lack of intelligent movement from the front 3 to create space.

City will be well up for it. They'll want to avenge the Champs league game. They'll have seen the video of Poch grabbing his overly large Cajones on their turf

You’re probably right to be fair. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve read “if we play like that, x will destroy us” but football never works out that way. Of all teams that can rip someone a new one, city are always the most likely though.

In fairness, in the CL game at home and away on the league, Poch got his tactics very much right I thought.

Tottenham’s Pochettino speaks to South American TV – Talks about challenges at the club
By Lucas Sposito -

13th August 2019

ESPN Brasil released this Monday a nice story with Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino, who’s now starting his fifth season in charge of the club.

The Argentine boss has spoken about all the process of bringing Spurs to a new level, and claimed that after the consolidation, the challenge of fighting for titles brings a new kind of pressure.

“People do not realize all that is going on at this club for five years. There was a five year period which was a huge challenge. Also what is coming now is a challenge, because once the stadium or the sports city are over, we are also thrilled to win and lift titles”, Mauricio Pochettino told ESPN Brasil.

“We’re close, we went against all odds, because nobody took us like a real team that was going to fight for great things, great competitions. But we have reached that level and the challenge is to keep it.”

On doing what he’s been doing with no big signings in the past few summers, Pochettino agrees it’s a great job, but shows the disappointment for not winning any silverware.

“Yes, but there is also frustration. The disappointment of not winning, I think with a little more, we could have won.”

Tottenham star Dele Alli also had a say on the boss, saying he’s changed the club’s level: “When I was growing up, Tottenham was always seen as a sixth or seventh place team. Wouldn’t get to the Champions League very much, and since the gaffer has come in, I think he changed the mentality of the club, and the way the people looked at us as well. “

Pochettino has also spoken about all his belief in managing the good and bad energy which surrounds the club. And to finish the interview, reporter João Castelo Branco asked if the lemons are still on his table for the next season.

“The lemons are there to absorb the bad energies so that won’t affect the people who are with us. The lemons are fine, yes, every two days we have to change them, they get wilted. They’re working well, doing their job.” [ @scaramanga - Im sure that comment was just for you!]

Tottenham’s Pochettino speaks to South American TV – Talks about challenges at the club
By Lucas Sposito -

13th August 2019

ESPN Brasil released this Monday a nice story with Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino, who’s now starting his fifth season in charge of the club.

The Argentine boss has spoken about all the process of bringing Spurs to a new level, and claimed that after the consolidation, the challenge of fighting for titles brings a new kind of pressure.

“People do not realize all that is going on at this club for five years. There was a five year period which was a huge challenge. Also what is coming now is a challenge, because once the stadium or the sports city are over, we are also thrilled to win and lift titles”, Mauricio Pochettino told ESPN Brasil.

“We’re close, we went against all odds, because nobody took us like a real team that was going to fight for great things, great competitions. But we have reached that level and the challenge is to keep it.”

On doing what he’s been doing with no big signings in the past few summers, Pochettino agrees it’s a great job, but shows the disappointment for not winning any silverware.

“Yes, but there is also frustration. The disappointment of not winning, I think with a little more, we could have won.”

Tottenham star Dele Alli also had a say on the boss, saying he’s changed the club’s level: “When I was growing up, Tottenham was always seen as a sixth or seventh place team. Wouldn’t get to the Champions League very much, and since the gaffer has come in, I think he changed the meteorology of the club, and the way the people looked at us as well. “

Pochettino has also spoken about all his belief in managing the good and bad energy which surrounds the club. And to finish the interview, reporter João Castelo Branco asked if the lemons are still on his table for the next season.

“The lemons are there to absorb the bad energies so that won’t affect the people who are with us. The lemons are fine, yes, every two days we have to change them, they get wilted. They’re working well, doing their job.” [ @scaramanga - Im sure that comment was just for you!]

Scaramangas just a sissoko lover of a bitter old man

He needs to take some lessons from Guardiola as to how to pass from the back. We haven't managed it most of the pre-season, it was the same against Villa and today there is such an obvious difference.

Lloris is the big problem. He goes side to side and won't risk playing the ball into the CMs.

No Son, no Dele, no Verts, I think there was always going to be a bit of disjointedness. New RB, first-had diamond not quite working, Ndombele feeling his way into his debut, there were reasons for the first-half. Including missing two sitters. City will be fine...

Said it to my mates
We’re missing BIG players today

Back