• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Ah I like having a go at the Dippers as much as anyone but we're hardly a paragon of virtue either. Wasn't our captain done for drink-driving last year and didn't miss a game or get stripped of the armband?
Not quite the same as anti-Semitism or racism is it? Also not on a pitch or anything to do with football.

Are you agreeing with me, you sexy scamp?
I sincerely doubt it.

They're two very different kinds of crime and the difference is in the intent. Drink driving is often the result of carelessness, and something very few of us can honestly claim to have never risked. Racism and anti-Semitism are the deliberate actions of a person whose opinions have no valid place in this world.

I sincerely doubt it.

They're two very different kinds of crime and the difference is in the intent. Drink driving is often the result of carelessness, and something very few of us can honestly claim to have never risked. Racism and anti-Semitism are the deliberate actions of a person whose opinions have no valid place in this world.
I doubted it too. I’m not making excuses for racial hatred, but I know too many whose lives have been destroyed by drink driving to be cavalier and dismiss it. I’m sure you have some stats and ‘logic’ to continue an argument about often/carelessness and many of us have done it, but I’m having none of it. We all know too much about what can happen when you’re plastered behind the wheel, and our captain was well over the limit last year.

I doubted it too. I’m not making excuses for racial hatred, but I know too many whose lives have been destroyed by drink driving to be cavalier and dismiss it. I’m sure you have some stats and ‘logic’ to continue an argument about often/carelessness and many of us have done it, but I’m having none of it. We all know too much about what can happen when you’re plastered behind the wheel, and our captain was well over the limit last year.
And has served the full weight of the sentence our justice system attributed to it - I don't feel that is too light a sentence. On-field racism and anti-Semitism should be a lifetime ban from all forms of the sport.

Poch was getting a bit emotional justifying Verts absence but still no clues as to why except for the standard response. I think that verts might be sold. He may be committed but we might be getting good offers for him, who knows?

Sent from my SM-T835 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I think it’s two fold, giving a kick up the arse to an experienced player who needed a bit of a kick to stop being too casual when Poch first joined. Doesn’t have to mean more than that, doesn’t mean he’s leaving, it’s just Poch reminding Jan of what made him the top level player that he is. And that isn’t standing around looking like he’s waiting for a bus before a game at Anfield. I wouldn’t be surprised if Jan has been just slightly too casual in training or around the group, and Poch is doing what a good leader should in reminding him of what got him to the dance in the first place.

Secondly, it’s perhaps quite a good thing given some new signings have joined just to firmly establish that you better live up to Poch’s standards or you won’t play. And that goes for anyone, even the Vice Captain that’s been here for years now.

seems out of character doesn't it...
Yes. I wonder if it's a ploy between Poch and Verts - who's a senior player with a long-standing relationship with him, after all. As in, we've got some new signings, one of whom has been known to get a bit fat in the past, so let's set an example to the troops.

In other news, the moon landings were faked and the Earth is flat.

Back