• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

**Official OMT** - Who's going to the season opener? (Not an OMT)

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Perhaps the pressure is not being in the next starting line up, but then doing that would only encourage the tin foil hat mob.
Without having read the thing myself, the impression others have left me with is that Poch's book regularly talks about players as if they're precious little flowers who can't cope with any adversity.

It's obviously an approach, whether the cost of sticking with brick players is worth making the weak minded keep confident, I'm not sure.

Had to work for most, because stadium looked pretty packed.....

The stadium didn’t get packed until right before KO - appreciate a few star in the till last last minute but...
There were brick loads of people getting rejected and sent back to the ticket office, the que was huge and getting worse.
I was in Entrance 12/ more than 3/4 were getting turned away, and i know the problem was on the backend of the system rather than specific card readers.
Did you go, if so, see no issues where you were?

Last edited:
He explains in his book Brave New World the reasons he prefers not to bring on subs until late in the game.

It's a while since I read it but in essence he says that yanking players off early can have a negative impact on both the player concerned and on team morale overall. Squad harmony is his no 1 priority, that kind of stuff.

This sounds a bit silly to me, surely if tactics or form dictate a substitution then it's needed and players can understand that surely if it's in the interests of the team getting a better result.

Without having read the thing myself, the impression others have left me with is that Poch's book regularly talks about players as if they're precious little flowers who can't cope with any adversity.

It's obviously an approach, whether the cost of sticking with brick players is worth making the weak minded keep confident, I'm not sure.

I think its more the case he looks long term and not short.

If there is so much pressure on the game at hand he is willing to bin off his preparation and preferred team and hook players early - what impression does it give?

Compared to adjusting the team on the field (regularly we play multiple formations with the same personel), making changes only when needed, and then dealing with the "what went wrong" between games. Perhaps drop someone etc then.

A more methodical approach, I would imagine, lends itself to everyone being calm and focused.

Personally I found you have to manage people as individuals and give them a chance to perform, if they didn't take that chance then they suffered the consequences.

It is great to start the season with a win but it was an unconvincing performance. We really made hard work of it as we had to come from behind to win. Villa scored from their only chance and concentrated on defending for the rest of the match. We dominated the match but failed to make it count until late in the match. Fortunately for us, Ndombele got us the badly needed goal and Kane scored 2 goals to help us win.

Credit to Ndomble and Kane for the goals. It was a great long range goal by Ndombele. Hope he will score more goals for us. Kane had a poor match and didn't look like scoring until scoring the 2 goals late in the match. Hope these goals will help him get back his goal scoring form. This match showed we still need Eriksen. Our attack looked toothless without Eriken and we only looked convincing once Eriksen came on in the second half. Lamela didn't have a good match but it was his hard work that won the ball and helped Kane to score our second goal. Lamela was also unlucky not to score earlier as his shot was stopped by the last defender after the goalie error.

Our midfield had a mixed match. Our midfield played well in patches but didn't help our attack much. Thought it was a mistake to start Ndombele, Winks and Sissoko together as our attack looked toothless. Good to see Ndombele scoring o n his debut but was disappointed he didn't celebrate his first ever goal for us.

Our defence didn't have much to do whole match but it was really annoying to concede the goal the way we did. This match showed yet again that we need Alderweireld and Vertonghen together for our defence to be at their best. Sanchez was partly at fault for their goal as he was too far out of position. Maybe Lloris too should have reacted faster for the goal.

It is always good to win our first match of the season. But we really need to improve our performance if we want to do well this season. It is going to be really tough when we play Emirates Marketing Project away next. Hope Pochettino will field out best available players against Emirates Marketing Project.

It is great to start the season with a win but it was an unconvincing performance. We really made hard work of it as we had to come from behind to win. Villa scored from their only chance and concentrated on defending for the rest of the match. We dominated the match but failed to make it count until late in the match. Fortunately for us, Ndombele got us the badly needed goal and Kane scored 2 goals to help us win.

Credit to Ndomble and Kane for the goals. It was a great long range goal by Ndombele. Hope he will score more goals for us. Kane had a poor match and didn't look like scoring until scoring the 2 goals late in the match. Hope these goals will help him get back his goal scoring form. This match showed we still need Eriksen. Our attack looked toothless without Eriken and we only looked convincing once Eriksen came on in the second half. Lamela didn't have a good match but it was his hard work that won the ball and helped Kane to score our second goal. Lamela was also unlucky not to score earlier as his shot was stopped by the last defender after the goalie error.

Our midfield had a mixed match. Our midfield played well in patches but didn't help our attack much. Thought it was a mistake to start Ndombele, Winks and Sissoko together as our attack looked toothless. Good to see Ndombele scoring o n his debut but was disappointed he didn't celebrate his first ever goal for us.

Our defence didn't have much to do whole match but it was really annoying to concede the goal the way we did. This match showed yet again that we need Alderweireld and Vertonghen together for our defence to be at their best. Sanchez was partly at fault for their goal as he was too far out of position. Maybe Lloris too should have reacted faster for the goal.

It is always good to win our first match of the season. But we really need to improve our performance if we want to do well this season. It is going to be really tough when we play Emirates Marketing Project away next. Hope Pochettino will field out best available players against Emirates Marketing Project.

For once I agree with every word you have said

Back