• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

I thought Winks was poor yesterday. He was afforded time and space on the ball, yet didn’t do anything with it. Needs to be more inventive and brave with his passing.

Wouldn't the sane be true about Ndombele, Sissoko and our defenders then?

Needs movement, needs a functioning system, I don't think that was because of Winksy.
I don’t think that either N’Dombele or a Sissoko were afforded the same time and space as they were a bit further advanced. Eriksen came on for Winks and seemed to have that same time and space and used it to actually try to get us in behind them. As I said in the Sissoko thread I don’t think anyone other than KWP or Eriksen played well but I thought the improvement in our attacking play just from swapping Winks for Eriksen was huge. We were going nowhere in that game before he came on.

Reactions: DTA
I don’t think that either N’Dombele or a Sissoko were afforded the same time and space as they were a bit further advanced. Eriksen came on for Winks and seemed to have that same time and space and used it to actually try to get us in behind them. As I said in the Sissoko thread I don’t think anyone other than KWP or Eriksen played well but I thought the improvement in our attacking play just from swapping Winks for Eriksen was huge. We were going nowhere in that game before he came on.
Would not disagree but both in their different ways played their part. By the time Eriksen came on Villa's tiger had been completely tamed and it was Winks' earlier tidy industry that had helped subdue them and prepare them for slaughter.

Eriksen then came on and skewered them for the kill.

For me, Winks was a victim of the midfield we put out. Neither Sissoko nor N'Dombele offer the threat nor control that Eriksen does and our #10 was Moura, a very different player to Eriksen. When Winks went off, Sissoko was sent deep and Eriksen was allowed to float and control the game, whilst Moura and Lamela held the width. Eriksen played to his strengths and had the support to do so. Winks played to his strengths but didn't have the support for it.

I thought Winks was poor yesterday. He was afforded time and space on the ball, yet didn’t do anything with it. Needs to be more inventive and brave with his passing.

He was, slow, sideways, not physical enough. It infects the team, the top stops running because they know the aggressive pass isn't coming. He is capable of more, just concerned it's not his natural game to be more brave.

He will have to play a lot better to keep his spot once everyone is available.

Winks was good in the CL final but he was helped immensely by Liverpool conceding midfield and keeping us at arm's length from minute two of the match. They didn't allow him into any dangerous areas really and his passing was all in front of their back four.

Would not disagree but both in their different ways played their part. By the time Eriksen came on Villa's tiger had been completely tamed and it was Winks' earlier tidy industry that had helped subdue them and prepare them for slaughter.

Eriksen then came on and skewered them for the kill.

This post reads like:

“Oh can you not open the jar, I’ll do it for you.”

Opens jar.

“Yeah well you only managed it coz I loosened it for you.”

Are you my ex-wife?

He was, slow, sideways, not physical enough. It infects the team, the top stops running because they know the aggressive pass isn't coming. He is capable of more, just concerned it's not his natural game to be more brave.

He will have to play a lot better to keep his spot once everyone is available.
His performance on Saturday reminded me of a typical Tom Carroll performance. Tidy enough, lots of recycling of the ball but not a single piece of play that would hurt the opposition. Winks has so much more to offer I think, he has to braver in his play otherwise he will lose his place in the team to players who will be braver.

Second underwhelming game by Winks and second successive substitution. Very poor yesterday. He's supposed to be our metronome but the ticker was way off yesterday. Constantly lost de Bruyne, including for the cross to the second goal.

Needs to bring his A game back because his place in the team is at major risk. Indeed, he is the one most likely to give way when Dele returns from injury.

Second underwhelming game by Winks and second successive substitution. Very poor yesterday. He's supposed to be our metronome but the ticker was way off yesterday. Constantly lost de Bruyne, including for the cross to the second goal.

Needs to bring his A game back because his place in the team is at major risk. Indeed, he is the one most likely to give way when Dele returns from injury.

I have been underwhelmed by him this season (whole two games) and I’m a big fan.

I would have ever like to see him in a midfield with Lo celso and see if that improves him playing along side another technically good player.

However he plays like that he should be dropped

I am sure you don't need me telling you that it's early days still, so cannot be too hard on anyone yet. But we need to get our brick together before we play the goons at their place otherwise it could be brutal.

Back