• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Premier League Squad

The obvious worries for me going forward is addressing the right back situation, and replacing Alderweireld, Vertonghen and potentially Lloris in the long run.

I think Verts and Lloris will be good for another 2-3 seasons. But replacing Alder and Aurier should definitely be the focus of next summer's business.

The obvious worries for me going forward is addressing the right back situation, and replacing Alderweireld, Vertonghen and potentially Lloris in the long run.

Yes, fully agree. RB and CB feel like real priority areas for the next window or two

Disagree, and you are comparing what? end of last season or beginning of last season?

GK & CB is as strong as can be expected (Gazza now locked #2, Foyth and Sanchez have had another year PL +copa experience, and Tangaga looks a real prospect)
FBs, left side improved as Sessegnon is now an option, RB weaker with Trippier (off his worst season with us) gone
CM, N'dombele with fit Winks, Sissoko knowing his role in the side plus Lo Celso is significantly better off
AM, add fit Lamela, Lucas seemingly incorporated more plus Dele should have more options
FW, Kane, Son with Parrott as prospect, lost Llorente

Honestly, the big thing to see here is

- Consistency of squad (it's a big part of why we have made 4 top 4's in a row)
- Players rested (we ran out of legs, Kane, Son will be much more rested)
- Biggest hole last season was CM, we have added two of the best prospects in Europe to cover that.
- More depth and three fringe players (Tanganga, Parrott, Skipp) who will be part

The real concern is injury to Kane or any of the RBs

But compare it to clubs around us

- City has lost Kompany and Sane (ACL fudged) with Rodri and Cancelo in, depth improved (already had tons of that) but dependence on a year older Aquero continues
- Pool, fudge all, bought a back up keeper
- United, sold their front line striker with no replacement, overpaid for a decent CB
- Chelsea, lost Hazard, Luiz, Cahill, Drinkwater, two fo their youngsters injured or coming back from injury
- Scum, lost a CB, bought Luiz, Pepe, Tierney and Ceballos

Out of top 6, I think it's us and Scum who have done best with us addressing more of the "issues" in squad than them (not sure how Luiz makes a back line more reliable)

Based on the average performance from last season and my assessment of the squad, we have a better forward half of the team including greater strength in depth and likely more variety overall though no Llorente could leave us short if/when Kane gets injured.

But the defense worries me, we were carved open so many times last season and the defence is pretty much the same except a year older, people said it was the weak midfield not offering enough protection and this has been partially addressed but I can't help but feel we aren't as solid as it reads on paper. I mean we lost what 15-20 games overall last season - to put up a title challenge till say Easter you can probably lose 3/4 games max (possibly less but I feel last season was an anaomaly).

But the defense worries me, we were carved open so many times last season and the defence is pretty much the same except a year older, people said it was the weak midfield not offering enough protection and this has been partially addressed but I can't help but feel we aren't as solid as it reads on paper. I mean we lost what 15-20 games overall last season - to put up a title challenge till say Easter you can probably lose 3/4 games max (possibly less but I feel last season was an anaomaly).

We were knackered all season last year and Sissoko being an ever present meant that a possession game wasn't an option. Tired legs and less of the ball is going to put you under pressure.

We were knackered all season last year and Sissoko being an ever present meant that a possession game wasn't an option. Tired legs and less of the ball is going to put you under pressure.

Add in the constant flux in the side, the patched up nature, the fact we never played our optimum team/tactics and it becomes pretty obvious IMO that the defence wasnt a distinct problem. It was the team defending failing, disjointed, and basically poor that left our defenders woefully exposed.

They were run ragged pretty much all year.

With our midfield reinforcements, with replacing Dembele, with having (almost) everyone fit and ready for the season, I genuinely believe we will return to our strong defensive performances again.

Add in the constant flux in the side, the patched up nature, the fact we never played our optimum team/tactics and it becomes pretty obvious IMO that the defence wasnt a distinct problem. It was the team defending failing, disjointed, and basically poor that left our defenders woefully exposed.

They were run ragged pretty much all year.

With our midfield reinforcements, with replacing Dembele, with having (almost) everyone fit and ready for the season, I genuinely believe we will return to our strong defensive performances again.

I'd caveat that slightly by saying that I am worried that Alderweireld's legs are going and he hasn't been able to adjust his game yet.

I'd caveat that slightly by saying that I am worried that Alderweireld's legs are going and he hasn't been able to adjust his game yet.

I can see where youre coming from, not completely convinced yet, but he has shown signs of struggling. Time will tell.

If that does prove to be the case, expect Sanchez to come into his position.

I can see where youre coming from, not completely convinced yet, but he has shown signs of struggling. Time will tell.

If that does prove to be the case, expect Sanchez to come into his position.

Defenders can come through it and still be effective when they lose their pace but it means changing his game. We saw signs of Poch using Sanchez as his runner last season.

Defenders can come through it and still be effective when they lose their pace but it means changing his game. We saw signs of Poch using Sanchez as his runner last season.

And for defenders it can come on quite quickly as well, I remember G Neville lost it in the space of 3/4 months and realised he couldn't continue. We have 2 30+ CB's who will inevitably decline in time - lets just hope it isn't this season.

Would be nice to ship out wanyama and nkoudou before the European deadline - get the squad back down to 25ish.

Guess Edwards could go back to Holland or to league one still too
I disagree. I think it would be beneficial to have players like that in the squad if we have room in terms of the number of overseas players. Our squad was clearly too small last season for us to challenge on all fronts as I'm sure we want to do as a club.

None of them will get a minutes football this season with us, so they need to move if they have any regard for their careers.

Wanyama needs to accept he's not EPL level anymore. The Scottish window is still open - maybe a return to Celtic?
Firstly Wanyama I think will only accept that when his premier league level salary stops being paid. Clubs like Celtic pay about a quarter of what we pay in wages. Players aren't going to move to clubs to take huge pay cuts until their contracts expire.

I think that Wanyama may still play a part for us this season anyway. We're not so high on numbers that he won't be needed for the bench at least after just a couple of injuries.

Personally I would love to see Wanyama convert to a central defender. I think he could have another few years playing at the top level in that position.

Disagree, and you are comparing what? end of last season or beginning of last season?

GK & CB is as strong as can be expected (Gazza now locked #2, Foyth and Sanchez have had another year PL +copa experience, and Tangaga looks a real prospect)
FBs, left side improved as Sessegnon is now an option, RB weaker with Trippier (off his worst season with us) gone
CM, N'dombele with fit Winks, Sissoko knowing his role in the side plus Lo Celso is significantly better off
AM, add fit Lamela, Lucas seemingly incorporated more plus Dele should have more options
FW, Kane, Son with Parrott as prospect, lost Llorente

Honestly, the big thing to see here is

- Consistency of squad (it's a big part of why we have made 4 top 4's in a row)
- Players rested (we ran out of legs, Kane, Son will be much more rested)
- Biggest hole last season was CM, we have added two of the best prospects in Europe to cover that.
- More depth and three fringe players (Tanganga, Parrott, Skipp) who will be part

The real concern is injury to Kane or any of the RBs

But compare it to clubs around us

- City has lost Kompany and Sane (ACL fudged) with Rodri and Cancelo in, depth improved (already had tons of that) but dependence on a year older Aquero continues
- Pool, fudge all, bought a back up keeper
- United, sold their front line striker with no replacement, overpaid for a decent CB
- Chelsea, lost Hazard, Luiz, Cahill, Drinkwater, two fo their youngsters injured or coming back from injury
- Scum, lost a CB, bought Luiz, Pepe, Tierney and Ceballos

Out of top 6, I think it's us and Scum who have done best with us addressing more of the "issues" in squad than them (not sure how Luiz makes a back line more reliable)
I largely agree with you. I think Arsenal could well swap places with Chelsea this season. Though I do expect Man Utd to improve on last season.

Looking at our squad I wonder whether it would make sense to re-sign Llorente for a season (I think we still have a space for overseas player in our PL squad?).

Eriksen covers a lot of ground but is quite standoffish when he closes a player down. I am expecting Lo Celso to be a lot more aggressive and get more turnovers.

On passing, from what I have seen, Lo Celso looks more direct but has less range. I think that both Ndombele and Lo Celse playing sharp passes through defences could be very effective. There should be plenty for our other forwards to run into.
With two signing we have added more passing creativity.
We have relied too much on Eriksen for that, which is defendable. Now it can come from more sources. That is going to be very dangerous.

Honestly not impressed by Arsenal, Chelsea or Utds business. And I think any gains they have made will be marginal in the scheme of things.

Right now I think itll finish City, Us, Liverpool with those other three going tooth and nail for 4th

We didn't buy a right back

So next summer we could easily have: Rose departed, Verts and Alder hit the wall and cannot keep up the pace, Lloris too old to play his 'sweeper' role...

So we'll need 2 full backs, 2 centre backs and a keeper (Gazzaniga is not it).

Edit - Foyth and Sanchez and Aurier and KWP are not the required standard right now, I wonder if they will be in 12 months' time

So next summer we could easily have: Rose departed, Verts and Alder hit the wall and cannot keep up the pace, Lloris too old to play his 'sweeper' role...

Edit - Foyth and Sanchez and Aurier and KWP are not the required standard right now, I wonder if they will be in 12 months' time

Think thats taking a very pessimistic viewpoint!

I think we'll need a RB and a CB next summer. Davies and Sessegnon would stay as our LBs, Toby would leave and be replaced and then we'll change one of Aurier or KWP

The rest of the squad wouldnt need much change. Jack Clarke will be like a new signing. I'd rather we plow whatever funds we have into two players next summer (eg RB and CB) and get top quality, similar to us signing NDombele and GLC now, rather than sign a greater number of not quite so good players

As we prepare for the start of the new campaign, our Premier League squad numbers for the 2019/20 season have today been confirmed.

Midfielder Oliver Skipp will wear the number 29 shirt for the new season, having previously worn number 52. A number of other young professionals who featured for the first team during pre-season have also been assigned revised squad numbers.

2019/20 Premier League squad numbers
1 Hugo Lloris
3 Danny Rose
4 Toby Alderweireld
5 Jan Vertonghen
6 Davinson Sanchez
7 Heung-Min Son
8 Harry Winks
10 Harry Kane
11 Erik Lamela
12 Victor Wanyama
14 Georges-Kevin Nkoudou
15 Eric Dier
16 Kyle Walker-Peters
17 Moussa Sissoko
18 Giovani Lo Celso
19 Ryan Sessegnon
20 Dele Alli
21 Juan Foyth
22 Paulo Gazzaniga
23 Christian Eriksen
24 Serge Aurier
27 Lucas Moura
28 Tanguy Ndombele
29 Oliver Skipp
33 Ben Davies
39 Japhet Tanganga
40 George Marsh
41 Alfie Whiteman
42 Anthony Georgiou
43 TJ Eyoma
44 Jamie Bowden
45 Jack Roles
49 Brandon Austin
52 Troy Parrott
53 Harvey White

Next summer the season will be over, what happens then won't affect us this season so it's not a major concern for me. I fully expect Sanchez and Foyth to have breakout seasons this year and bringing in a CB or 2 can be done in January and/or the summer.

Back