• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Well I said he would stay to run down his contract in a situation that would suit both parties, we get one more year and he gets a big contract offer next year.

All in all this has not been a bad resolution.

I agree we are a great place to be but still he's 30. No idea why any club didn't come in for him he's class. He could have at least 2 or 3 top end more years even more. He is slightly injury prone and that will get worse but he is a class player so still beyond me why no one wouldnt pay 25m for him especially in this market. Liverpool paid 75m for a 27 year old so what would be the better bit of business?

I think there's a general pattern that clubs just aren't paying fees for older players any more (Ronaldo excepted, but that was offset by the guaranteed commercial revenue)

I wonder if we could get a 1-2 year extension out of him, so he can then go to Ajax on a free to finish his career? I’m genuinely not sure if any team better / wealthier than Tottenham would take him next year at 31, even on a free? Maybe I’m just being optimistic.

I wonder if we could get a 1-2 year extension out of him, so he can then go to Ajax on a free to finish his career? I’m genuinely not sure if any team better / wealthier than Tottenham would take him next year at 31, even on a free? Maybe I’m just being optimistic.

He will leave on a free next summer to go to Ajax just like Blind did (he went for a few I know)

It’s good for him and good for us as we would have had amazing value from him

He will leave on a free next summer to go to Ajax just like Blind did (he went for a few I know)

It’s good for him and good for us as we would have had amazing value from him

Fair enough, just thought that at 31 he might prefer to play in a higher quality league for another year or two before making the move.

Is the clause deadline definitely for domestic and foreign bidders? Someone suggested to me it was only domestic...

Well I said he would stay to run down his contract in a situation that would suit both parties, we get one more year and he gets a big contract offer next year.

All in all this has not been a bad resolution.
We really would have got 2 years out of him as we were having the same conversation about getting rid last summer as all of us thought the 25m clause was a dead cert for him leaving this season

Toby has f.cked up a bit as he's chucked away some good earning years by holding out and if he wants to go on a free next year it will be another year in the 60/65 k pw. And a free to Ajax might get him 5m signing on and I doubt anymore than 50k a week.

He should have signed up seasons ago he'd have raked in 130-160 a week for the last 3 seasons

His effort and work days can’t be questioned surely?
He has never sulked or kicked off

Not his professionalism or effort, though I think, subconsciously as humans with uncertainty over our contract, or where we work, or where we will be.

These distractions of the mind stop us from displaying our best, as could explain, Eriksens flat end of season form.

Not his professionalism or effort, though I think, subconsciously as humans with uncertainty over our contract, or where we work, or where we will be.

These distractions of the mind stop us from displaying our best, as could explain, Eriksens flat end of season form.

Not really
I think that’s just a myth pit out there to hide a lack of form, fitness or even luck

Well that’s my view on the contract thing as these players need to perform to get that big move if that’s the uncertainty

Not really
I think that’s just a myth pit out there to hide a lack of form, fitness or even luck

Well that’s my view on the contract thing as these players need to perform to get that big move if that’s the uncertainty

Yeah perhaps your right on this, if Eriksen really did want that move to Madrid he could have made a strong rather than a so so impact for us to enable that.

Or perhaps that was his intention but he exerted to much pressure on himself which didn’t help his cause in the way he wanted.

Who knows, bottom line I think it would be great if Toby stayed and signed.

Back