• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

I think it’s odd too, he’s better than anyone in Manchester/Madrid/Munich/Barcelona, where the release clause and wages amount to a rounding error.

24 hours or so to go. Anyone fancy a quick whip round, let’s get £25m in the pot, then buy ourselves a world class centre back?

Guess he could come in useful around the place. Tidy up Random. Groom badgers. That sort of thing.

Could possibly be a repeat of the Fellaini situation where Utd ended up paying more than they needed, unless they can get Maguire over the line...

Personally hope he stays as we could reap the benefits of a more concentrated Toby, absent all the contract speculation.

It would be a massive bonus for us if he stays. One more season from Toby is worth more to the club than a £25m fee, at least in a sporting sense (although I'm not sure Levy agrees on that). He's still top quality.

Could possibly be a repeat of the Fellaini situation where Utd ended up paying more than they needed, unless they can get Maguire over the line...

Personally hope he stays as we could reap the benefits of a more concentrated Toby, absent all the contract speculation.

Isn't having just a year left going to keep contract speculation at an all time high anyway? Feel like I may have said this in another thread but him leaving at the end of this one seems fair for all concerned, not ideal but could be much worse.

Isn't having just a year left going to keep contract speculation at an all time high anyway? Feel like I may have said this in another thread but him leaving at the end of this one seems fair for all concerned, not ideal but could be much worse.
That's true. But with Foyth where he's at in his development, Sanchez still not quite top level (imo), and with potential age/injury concerns over Alderweireld and Vertonghen another season for Alderweireld here (assuming he remains dedicated) seems like perfect timing to me. Crossing my fingers, at the very least if no-one activates the clause if he leaves it will be more on our terms if he leaves.

Is there any scenario where his agent is waiting for this deadline to pass? I mean, maybe there's a downside to accepting this release clause and they are planning to wait until next week to manufacture a move. Probably not I know, Just feels strange how much lack of interest there is in one of the best defenders around.

Is there any scenario where his agent is waiting for this deadline to pass? I mean, maybe there's a downside to accepting this release clause and they are planning to wait until next week to manufacture a move. Probably not I know, Just feels strange how much lack of interest there is in one of the best defenders around.

Probably just gonna wait it out until January and sign a pre-contract? take out the £25m (no matter now little that is in today's market for a player of his calibre...) and he's more likely to get the wage he is demanding + a bumper sign on fee.

That's true. But with Foyth where he's at in his development, Sanchez still not quite top level (imo), and with potential age/injury concerns over Alderweireld and Vertonghen another season for Alderweireld here (assuming he remains dedicated) seems like perfect timing to me. Crossing my fingers, at the very least if no-one activates the clause if he leaves it will be more on our terms if he leaves.

I'm not sure why there's a "but" as it seems you're agreeing with me!

Although the big Foyth question mark will be his position, long term it's hard to be top class in multiple ones but that discussion is not what this thread is intended for..

Don't want to jinx it, but with 5mins to midnight, is it safe to say Toby is staying!?

Contract clause has expired .. think there is a lesson in here for others

Toby & Eriksen are class players, but getting older and there are very few clubs now that are better than Spurs, so unless one of those clubs is actively prioritizing the player, Spurs is a good place to be.

Contract clause has expired .. think there is a lesson in here for others

Toby & Eriksen are class players, but getting older and there are very few clubs now that are better than Spurs, so unless one of those clubs is actively prioritizing the player, Spurs is a good place to be.
I agree we are a great place to be but still he's 30. No idea why any club didn't come in for him he's class. He could have at least 2 or 3 top end more years even more. He is slightly injury prone and that will get worse but he is a class player so still beyond me why no one wouldnt pay 25m for him especially in this market. Liverpool paid 75m for a 27 year old so what would be the better bit of business?

Last edited:
Back