• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Or maybe they realise were one of the big guys now and it’s harder then ever to get a player from us unless we deem it right to do so

People quickly forget the scale of the club has changed significantly now with the ground and last seasons final. We’re not a club that has financial issues so needs to sell and we’re in as strong a position as we have been in a very very long time
Exactly this. The steps upwards are fewer these days.

Heck... We're a nice club to be at.

£25 million is equivalent to about £120,000 a week for 4 years. If Toby has wage expectations of £150k a week or so then that is a big package with no resale value. In a year’s time I think there would be lots of clubs willing to give him those wages for 3 years with no transfer fee.
So we give him £150k now for 4 years and all is good?

Or keep him for one more season on £60k
And he leaves next summer for free to a club of his choice and a big signing on bonus

Again comes back to footballing reasons vs cash. This summer might have brought a dose of realism to him that Real, Barca etc dont want him even if available for a low fee. Next summer he'll be 31 - big teams probably still won't want him though he might be able to get more cash from a less competitive team....but is that extra cash more important than playing regularly in a top team?

From our perspective, assuming we want to keep him then giving him a 3 year, £100k - £120k per week deal makes sense. For Toby, taking that for of deal and then moving to Ajax when he's say 33 on a freebie might also increasing look like the best route forward

?
Why would we give him a free transfer in 3 weeks time? Surely we’d rather use him for the next season and remainder of his contract? He gets to leave on a free if he wants in a year anyway!

He can sign a pre-contract with an overseas club from 1 January, so he starts speaking to them about that possibility as soon as this window shuts

IIRC it was considered quite serious at the time and there were concerns about whether he'd be able to return to the same level he was at

Or keep him for one more season on £60k
And he leaves next summer for free to a club of his choice and a big signing on bonus
I was replying to Finney.

If we want to keep him and he has a realisation we are the best place to be (partly because no-one else looks that interested) then we can give him a good deal now because we are the only ones who don't have to pay a fee this season.

He should've just signed that deal ages ago.

Plus the Eurostar is direct to Dam now....surely that helps:D

Neither. He'll walk on a free next year and get a big signing-on fee.

That kind of suits us too - another year to develop Sanchez and Foyth, and to scout for a new prospect to come in as 4th choice next summer.

Fully accept both are still relatively young but I’ve not seen enough so far to suggest Sánchez and Foyth are good enough to replace Toby and Vertonghen. We should persist with Toby and Verts for at least another two seasons assuming we can get both to sign contract extensions of course.

Fully accept both are still relatively young but I’ve not seen enough so far to suggest Sánchez and Foyth are good enough to replace Toby and Vertonghen. We should persist with Toby and Verts for at least another two seasons assuming we can get both to sign contract extensions of course.

Really...
I’ve seen plenty of potential there with both
Foyth has made mistakes but has shown a footballing ability better than John Stones has ever shown and he was the next messiah
Similarly Sanchez has only struggled against really physical strikers and he will have learned from that and is now stronger I hope

Back