• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kieran Trippier

Trippier was a great servant to the club and deserves our gratitude and appreciation for all he did. What I will remember about the guy was that he never moaned... neither in his first season when he could not get a game because of Walker's form, nor last campaign when he was probably carrying the injury he sustained in the WC. Indeed, he stepped up and admitted that his performances were not good enough - how many players have the balls to come out and say that?

Glad it's been an amicable parting of the ways - Levy clearly did not stretch the negotiations or be too greedy; and he gets to go to a great club where - due to the lesser pace of the Spanish game - he will probably excel.

Good luck Tripps,,, see you in the Champions League!!

I noticed the speed of deal too. A sign of respect and appreciation from the club. I wish him nothing but the best of luck but am relieved he has moved on. I think he will rediscover form in La Liga but it was not going to happen here.

I guess we've historically run ourselves light in certain position (e.g. no cover for Kane, not replacing Dembele) and we should have the numbers without replacing him; quality at RB looks a bit suspect though:

RB: Aurier and KWP
CB: TA, JV, Sanchez and Foyth
LB: Davies and Rose/Sessegnon

I think Foyth will start as our first choice RB, though that then leaves us with 3 CBs as people can only play in one position at a time. Dier really is only an emergency CB as he's a lot shakier there than DM...

Personally I don't think we are going to be looking to replace him given the significant outlay on N'Dombele and the positions of the other guys we have supposedly been pursuing. As long as he gets his other targets in I think Poch will be relatively content with the RB situation. I reckon we may see sissoko making a good few appearances in that position during the coming season.

Classy...

16180902-7257915-image-a-40_1563395816256.jpg

All the best to Trippier. Ultimately just not good enough for the level we are at and the level we aspire to be at.

Anyone else think we’re taking a risk with Trippier, potentially Rose AND Toby being allowed to leave in the same window?
Poch is essentially the anti-Redknapp.

Dodgy 'Arry wanted every full back an agent throwing out kickbacks could find. Poch just wants them all gone.

Last edited:
Hope some of the new buys are okay on set pieces then. He may not have lived up to the world cup promise on that score for much of last season - Fulham at home, though - but it’s a shame to lose the option.

Porch is essentially the anti-Redknapp.

Dodgy 'Arry wanted every full back an agent throwing out kickbacks could find. Poch just wants them all gone.

Righttttttt. But you need at least two of each in terms of left backs and right backs. And Toby isn't a full back, he's our best CB and comfortably ahead of Sanchez and Foyth.

Righttttttt. But you need at least two of each in terms of left backs and right backs. And Toby isn't a full back, he's our best CB and comfortably ahead of Sanchez and Foyth.
In terms of first choice we'll lose little to nothing by moving from Trippier/Rose to Aurier/Davies. It's the backup positions that we're weaker in.

A couple of youngsters with the potential to be better than both should be both cheaper and more manageable.

Poch wants flexibility in the squad. We currently have four or five players who can play right back if you include Foyth, Dier and Sissoko. We have four players who can play left back (including Verts and KWP). If Rose leaves and we sign Sessegnon, we still have four players who can cover the position.

In terms of first choice we'll lose little to nothing by moving from Trippier/Rose to Aurier/Davies. It's the backup positions that we're weaker in.

A couple of youngsters with the potential to be better than both should be both cheaper and more manageable.

It is also about moving players on whilst we can still get a decent fee for them and the need to freshen up the squad. It is hard to freshen things up without moving on the older players.

Aurier is an upgrade on Trippier I agree but he's hardly set the world alight. As I said above, he's not terrible but he's upgradable for sure.

Davies is just a run of the mill, 6.5 out of 10 player for me. You need solid, dependable squad players like Davies but that's all he is, a squad player. If you compare Aurier and Davies to Robertson and Trent Alexander-Arnold at Liverpool and Walker and whoever Emirates Marketing Project play at left back they're at least a level below them.

It is also about moving players on whilst we can still get a decent fee for them and the need to freshen up the squad. It is hard to freshen things up without moving on the older players.

Don't disagree with the sentiment. Just don't think Rose and TA are the two older ones we need to be moving on. Toby is 30 and Rose is 29 IIRC so they're still in their prime.

Don't disagree with the sentiment. Just don't think Rose and TA are the two older ones we need to be moving on. Toby is 30 and Rose is 29 IIRC so they're still in their prime.

We don't have a lot of choice over Toby, if a £25m bid comes in, it's up to him. Who knows what is going on behind the scenes with Rose, he came back really well last season but he was short of his prime and I can see the sense in selling him before his game deteriorates further.

Aurier is an upgrade on Trippier I agree but he's hardly set the world alight. As I said above, he's not terrible but he's upgradable for sure.

Davies is just a run of the mill, 6.5 out of 10 player for me. You need solid, dependable squad players like Davies but that's all he is, a squad player. If you compare Aurier and Davies to Robertson and Trent Alexander-Arnold at Liverpool and Walker and whoever Emirates Marketing Project play at left back they're at least a level below them.

The season before last Davies overtook Rose as first choice LB and played practically every game, he was close to our player of the season.

It's been well documented that last season he had issues with injuries and some ongoing surgeries. That's all been sorted now.

You prattle on about Rose being superior and Davies being a 6.5 player, but it's just nonsense. They're equally talented and effective, they just go about it in different ways. Davies is also younger and still hasn't reached his ceiling, unlike Rose.

You're a fan of players who overtly show commitment, that's fine, but Davies is a quality player and we're lucky to have him. I hope he gets back to the form of a couple of seasons ago and cements his place as a fixture in our team. Either way he's great to have around, regardless of who else we sign.

They are, but we're still better off (at first choice) than last season

The season before last Davies overtook Rose as first choice LB and played practically every game, he was close to our player of the season.

It's been well documented that last season he had issues with injuries and some ongoing surgeries. That's all been sorted now.

You prattle on about Rose being superior and Davies being a 6.5 player, but it's just nonsense. They're equally talented and effective, they just go about it in different ways. Davies is also younger and still hasn't reached his ceiling, unlike Rose.

You're a fan of players who overtly show commitment, that's fine, but Davies is a quality player and we're lucky to have him. I hope he gets back to the form of a couple of seasons ago and cements his place as a fixture in our team. Either way he's great to have around, regardless of who else we sign.

I like Davies and agree he’s good to have around I just think Rose is better and we’re making a unwise decision by forcing him out. You can agree with me or not I really don’t care. I believe we need better full backs than Davies and Aurier if we are to compete with Liverpool and Emirates Marketing Project for the title. As a squad player Davies is close to perfect and I’ve never said anything different.

Back