• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New music?

Yermiyahu

Scott Parker
I was for many years, an absolute music enthusiast and collector. I started out a a Motown collector buying my first piece of vinyl aged 10 in 1974 and rapidly progressed to collecting all and any kind of soul, jazz, Jazz funk, disco etc. I've also always had a passion for the singer songwriter genre, Neil Young, Dylan, Cat Stevens as well as liking some rock and new wave and general pop. Long story short. I sold my vinyl collection ( some 12000 discs) when my son was born and we emigrated 15 years ago and am only now getting the time to listen to music again. I'm really struggling with finding new music that I enjoy. I don't like a lot of what I hear, yet I find myself craving new music. The only band that I have come across that I remotely like is The Killers who I think are absolutely terrific. So suggestions please. I could use some help here after being out of the loop so long. The only genres that I don't really like are Thrash metal and Punk.

Spotify have a section they call “Fresh New Music” its a combination of automated and users generated playlists, I think it works really well, always have it playing in the car and it’s so much better than anything on the radio

Two new albums from Anderson Paak and one from Flying Lotus have done me pretty nicely this year so can't complain.

Also Jorja Smith has been a nice find, stunning voice stunning lady and a band that really knows whats what.

I'd say that the NPR tiny desk concerts are a really nice introduction to newer artists, only issue being is that the stripped back more organic sound sometimes blows the fully produced albums away so it can be slightly disappointing when it comes to the officially released material. Funny how less is often more.

It is nice to be connected to new music I suppose but it also isn't crucial, nowt wrong with delving in to the back catalogues of groups that have already earned your respect from way back when.

I was for many years, an absolute music enthusiast and collector. I started out a a Motown collector buying my first piece of vinyl aged 10 in 1974 and rapidly progressed to collecting all and any kind of soul, jazz, Jazz funk, disco etc. I've also always had a passion for the singer songwriter genre, Neil Young, Dylan, Cat Stevens as well as liking some rock and new wave and general pop. Long story short. I sold my vinyl collection ( some 12000 discs) when my son was born and we emigrated 15 years ago and am only now getting the time to listen to music again. I'm really struggling with finding new music that I enjoy. I don't like a lot of what I hear, yet I find myself craving new music. The only band that I have come across that I remotely like is The Killers who I think are absolutely terrific. So suggestions please. I could use some help here after being out of the loop so long. The only genres that I don't really like are Thrash metal and Punk.
Listen to 6 music, music from all genres, the presenters all obviously love music and there is series and documentaries as well. Great if you're open to anything and especially if you're looking to get back into music. Any show on there has the potential to be enjoyable.

Listen to 6 music, music from all genres, the presenters all obviously love music and there is series and documentaries as well. Great if you're open to anything and especially if you're looking to get back into music. Any show on there has the potential to be enjoyable.

Agree 100% although I haven't listened in a while. I feel like this will get a big thumbs down on here but 1extra as well, I recall hearing some kind of live session with Chronixx and Litte Simz, neither artist I had heard of before but since then always kept an eye (ear) out since because it was fudging quality.

Two new albums from Anderson Paak and one from Flying Lotus have done me pretty nicely this year so can't complain.

Also Jorja Smith has been a nice find, stunning voice stunning lady and a band that really knows whats what.

I'd say that the NPR tiny desk concerts are a really nice introduction to newer artists, only issue being is that the stripped back more organic sound sometimes blows the fully produced albums away so it can be slightly disappointing when it comes to the officially released material. Funny how less is often more.

It is nice to be connected to new music I suppose but it also isn't crucial, nowt wrong with delving in to the back catalogues of groups that have already earned your respect from way back when.

I hear you but you can only listen to stuff so many times before you tire of it. I love Dylan's Street Legal or the Rolling Stones Exile on main Street but I have heard them a gazillion times. I guess that there is also the feeling that by not listening to new bands I'm somehow missing out but so far that hasn't proven to be the case.

The only new artists I've discovered in recent years, and actually kept listening too, are Johnossi, Black Keys, Florence and the machine and Cat Empire.

Apart from that, it’s all old artists for me. Quite a few of them are dead too, sadly.

People who claim 'nothing new is good any more' are typically bitter old clams who have given up on life.

I've named ten great bands/acts off the top of my head making music today or very recently. There are hundreds more.

Mogwai
Spoon
Pavement
The National
Pond
Kurt Vile
Angel Olsen
Mastodon
Electric Wizard
Red Fang

Don't get me wrong I love old music too and appreciate classics like Tom Waits, The Clash, Bad Brains, The Who etc. But to claim no good new music is being made is just plain lazy and wrong.

Last edited:
Back