• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Climate Change

Some of those are nice though I'm not sure I see the point, to be honest. Something for the uber-rich environmentalists to play with I guess.

Yes I’d agree. If you’re going to get a modern efficient car, do that and enjoy the toys it comes with. A bastardised old, new thing is a funny compromise. Maybe with a DeLorean or old Citron DS it would be cool. But for most old cars the sound of the engine is a thing.

How are you finding the range, driving experience, costs in the electric car?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
Yes I’d agree. If you’re going to get a modern efficient car, do that and enjoys the the toys it comes with. A bastardised old, new thing is a funny compromise. Maybe with a DeLorean or old Citron DS it would be cool. But for most old cars the sound of the engine is a thing.

How are you finding the range, driving experience, costs in the electric car?

I have a Leaf which drives like a dream and actually goes like a rocket. I do have an old gas guzzler as well which is parked up 99% of the time. It gets about 1 mile a week on the clock but I need to hang onto it for now. It's more a mobile toolbox at the moment :confused:

The model I have is 2015 and is good for about 100-120 km before a charge, which roughly equates to 2-3 days for us. It costs about €2 to charge it up overnight. You wouldn't be using it to go on long trips as the range is not good enough though I did a 250km run once charging it halfway for about 20mins (back to 80% battery). Newer leaf models go more than twice this I believe. Tax is on emissions and there are none, so that is cheap and there is little or no servicing as the engine is literally a black box. So it cheap and fun to drive and works for us but I realise it is not for everyone. I would recommend it especially if you are two car household.

Last edited:
What did you do to it?

Not a rocket, the rocket,

60914334_1176327425862466_3087506348112895569_n.jpg

It only stands to reason that the last two and current generations have killed the planet.

People say that the worlds always survived periods of time and evolved but this is like no other time. Never before has a race blown up so many nuclear bombs, taken so much out the planets core in natural minerals and resources, created so much waste or pumped so much brick in the air. 150 years ago people didnt have a phone, now we go through 2 or 3 a year and I use that example as the spoilt nature of humans now and the fact that example could be used on other items which are indulgence but use plastics come from harmful sources and are built in harmful ways and create waste.

Ironically things like TVs and Cars that were brick 40 years ago we kept longer, no we have it better we just chop and change as quickly as we like which is weird when you step back and look at it.

It only stands to reason that the last two and current generations have killed the planet.

People say that the worlds always survived periods of time and evolved but this is like no other time. Never before has a race blown up so many nuclear bombs, taken so much out the planets core in natural minerals and resources, created so much waste or pumped so much brick in the air. 150 years ago people didn't have a phone, now we go through 2 or 3 a year and I use that example as the spoilt nature of humans now and the fact that example could be used on other items which are indulgence but use plastics come from harmful sources and are built in harmful ways and create waste.

Ironically things like TVs and Cars that were brick 40 years ago we kept longer, no we have it better we just chop and change as quickly as we like which is weird when you step back and look at it.
We've done as much damage in the last 30 years as all the millennia that came before, and we knew we were doing it.
Not a rocket, the rocket,

60914334_1176327425862466_3087506348112895569_n.jpg
If the UK stayed in the EU it might eventually evolve out of the steampunk phase

I have a Leaf which drives like a dream and actually goes like a rocket. I do have an old gas guzzler as well which is parked up 99% of the time. It gets about 1 mile a week on the clock but I need to hang onto it for now. It's more a mobile toolbox at the moment :confused:

The model I have is 2015 and is good for about 100-120 km before a charge, which roughly equates to 2-3 days for us. It costs about €2 to charge it up overnight. You wouldn't be using it to go on long trips as the range is not good enough though I did a 250km run once charging it halfway for about 20mins (back to 80% battery). Newer leaf models go more than twice this I believe. Tax is on emissions and there are none, so that is cheap and there is little or no servicing as the engine is literally a black box. So it cheap and fun to drive and works for us but I realise it is not for everyone. I would recommend it especially if you are two car household.

Looks like a fun car. Immediate acceleration? A bit like a golf? Can you charge it at home? For me in London charging is the issue. There are charging stations but a 10 min walk away. I like the idea that the electricity used by the charging stations are often generated from wind and sun. You're speeding along on the wind and solar power. How is the regenerative breaking?

Does science know what our most damaging/polluting human activities are? What are the top 5-10?

• Air flight must be near the top of the list. It gets exempted from most carbon emission reduction plans.
  • Coal for electricity (high carbon emission, particulate pollution, radioactivity from fly ash)
  • Single use plastics.
  • Meat eating. The cow burping is a major greenhouse gas source and the land used for animal feed removes more wild habitat than land used for human food directly. Some animal farming is also extremely polluting (e.g pig farming).
  • Babies. It all starts with them.

Looks like a fun car. Immediate acceleration? A bit like a golf? Can you charge it at home? For me in London charging is the issue. There are charging stations but a 10 min walk away. I like the idea that the electricity used by the charging stations are often generated from wind and sun. You're speeding along on the wind and solar power. How is the regenerative breaking?

Does science know what our most damaging/polluting human activities are? What are the top 5-10?
There is no traditional transmission in an electric motor so the car can access the full amount of torque from the off. There is a button to limit the acceleration actually. Trust me, it is rapid, if you are into that sort of thing. There is regenerative breaking but how much that adds back I don't know.

I charge mine at home using a charger I bought from these guys - https://evonestop.co.uk/ . Charging does draw a lot of current and will burn out a normal socket so you should invest in a home charger. If you have a tri-phase feed into your house it will charge quicker though this is rare enough for regular houses.

Heres where the CO2 comes from. Methane is a worse greenhouse gas but shorter lived .

If you are looking for someone to keep up on this follow these two. They don't sugar coat the bad news.

Last edited:
@SpurMeUp if you want any advice on how to upgrade the energy efficiency of your house just ask. I used to consult on this for a living and I have no problem being a know-all arsehole if it even changes one mind. ;)

@SpurMeUp if you want any advice on how to upgrade the energy efficiency of your house just ask. I used to consult on this for a living and I have no problem being a know-all ******** if it even changes one mind. ;)

Will take you up on the kind offer. Will be moving out for 6 months to renovate. Old uninsulated property at the moment. Tips welcome.

• Air flight must be near the top of the list. It gets exempted from most carbon emission reduction plans.
  • Coal for electricity (high carbon emission, particulate pollution, radioactivity from fly ash)
  • Single use plastics.
  • Meat eating. The cow burping is a major greenhouse gas source and the land used for animal feed removes more wild habitat than land used for human food directly. Some animal farming is also extremely polluting (e.g pig farming).
  • Babies. It all starts with them.

As a greenhouse gas issue...or did you have something else in mind?

Population. Increasing population is the reason for deforestation and elimination of wild habitats, increased energy demand and increased pollution.

6 months sounds like a pretty deep retrofit. Do you have an architect involved?

Funnily enough no. Will run the plans past a couple though. Have a structual engineer on board and the Mrs likes designing, taught herself how to draw up full plans in autocad. We did one project like this previously - much simpler - an office fit out from a concrete shell. Just got planning permission for a extension. Still have a lot of design work to do. Was about to read about boilers...

There is no traditional transmission in an electric motor so the car can access the full amount of torque from the off. There is a button to limit the acceleration actually. Trust me, it is rapid, if you are into that sort of thing. There is regenerative breaking but how much that adds back I don't know.
My neighbour briefly owned a Leaf. What did you so to yours to make it quick?

Was in Canada last week and spent some time in Whistler and they are experiencing some funny weather.

The Glaciers are pretty much no longer and the snow drops are just getting higher and higher, seeing rapid change which is a shame.

Serious concerns there as the extremes make it more noticeable

Funnily enough no. Will run the plans past a couple though. Have a structual engineer on board and the Mrs likes designing, taught herself how to draw up full plans in autocad. We did one project like this previously - much simpler - an office fit out from a concrete shell. Just got planning permission for a extension. Still have a lot of design work to do. Was about to read about boilers...

I can highly recommend LED downlights, just had my whole house re-wired (bar a couple of sockets) and the kitchen which is modern and they give such a good spread of light. Ones I have are 6 watts and kick out 580 lumens, crazy that's the same as 7-10 normal lightbulbs. Just beware of the dust, floats about everywhere for weeks after the work has been done.

I looked into the smartlighting but it's a little gimmiky at the moment and too many companies in the market, will wait till it consolidates and gets a bit more reliable. The dimmers and relays you fit behind switches don't work so well in metal back boxes either.

My neighbour briefly owned a Leaf. What did you so to yours to make it quick?
As I was saying you can turn off the limiter. It is cleverly disguised as the Eco setting as it saves your battery but it just limits the acceleration. Me though I drive like a granny. I'll get there when I get there.

Back