• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

RIP Justin Edinburgh

Obituary - Justin Edinburgh

The passing of Justin Edinburgh has come as a great shock to us all at Spurs. Justin, 49, suffered a cardiac arrest last Monday and passed away on Saturday.

A fiercely-competitive full-back, Justin made 276 appearances for us in all competitions between 1990-2000, winning the FA Cup in 1991 and League Cup in 1999.

Most recently manager of Leyton Orient, a team he guided back to the Football League only in May, Justin was a regular for Spurs Legends and still part of our hospitality team on matchdays. Spurs through and through, Justin was with us for the Champions League Final in Madrid last weekend. He will be sadly missed.

Born in Brentwood, Essex, Justin initially joined us on loan from Southend United in January, 1990, impressing enough to earn a permanent move that summer. By the end of his first season he was a regular and started the FA Cup semi-final win over Arsenal at Wembley before taking his place again in the final and our 2-1 victory against Nottingham Forest to lift the trophy.

It was a footballing fairytale – just 12 months earlier, he was playing in the old Fourth Division.

A modern-day full-back, always looking to get forward yet strong in the tackle, determined and full of belief, Justin had competition for his left-back slot from the likes of Pat van den Hauwe, Terry Fenwick and Clive Wilson over 10 years at the Club, yet still managed to pull on the shirt 276 times between 1990 and his departure to Portsmouth in 2000. He played for two more years before injury forced his retirement.

Justin then began his managerial career in non-league football, eventually joining Newport County in 2011, where he staved off relegation from the Conference (National League) before taking the club back into the Football League after a 25-year absence. Spells followed at Gillingham and Northampton before he took over at Leyton Orient in 2017 and once again led a club back into the Football League. His achievements last season were recognised at the inaugural Pride of Essex Sport Awards last month when he was named ‘Professional Sports Personality of the Year’.

Our thoughts are with Justin’s family – wife Kerri, son Charlie and daughter Cydnie – and friends at this difficult time.

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2019/june/obituary-justin-edinburgh/

Maybe it’s because that 91 side was my first consistent memories of Spurs (I was 11/12that season), but this one has hit me a bit. I never knew him or anything, but I’ve got so much affection for everyone in that cup winning side. Shocked, heard he was unwell earlier in the week but thought it was nothing much. RIP Justin, Justin Edinburgh!!! X

So, so sad. Those memories of ‘91 are some of my best with the club, and Justin was right at the heart of it. One of our own, for sure.

Went to Madrid had a whale of a time
Went to the gym the next day and had a heart attack
Never, ever go to the gym. They are very dangerous places.

Shame for the family.

He had a great life and did more in his life than us lot ever will.

I was really sorry to hear this. He was playing when I first started (94-95)following Spurs. Sad for him to die so young. My thoughts are with is family and friends.

Sad to hear, 49 is so young to go. One of the players I remember watching when I first went to the Lane.

Was just talking about him yesterday with my brother in law who's an Orient fan, so sad to hear Justin's passed away.

Back