• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

How is there almost no chance he'd be the hero again? That makes no sense whatsoever.
Moura was the hero last time. The odds of a hattrick must have been monumental. There is almost no chance he will be the hero again.
I don't think the goals against Ajax changes the probability of him being the hero in the final much. Perhaps a bit more confidence and belief, that knowledge that he's done it before and can do it again. Slightly higher probability imo, but only slightly.

And that will be as true (or close to it) coming off the bench as if he starts imo.

I don't think the goals against Ajax changes the probability of him being the hero in the final much. Perhaps a bit more confidence and belief, that knowledge that he's done it before and can do it again. Slightly higher probability imo, but only slightly.

And that will be as true (or close to it) coming off the bench as if he starts imo.
If you scored a hattrick in the CL SF and then you were benched for the final, what would that do for your confidence? Would you feel you had your managers absolute faith?

If you scored a hattrick in the CL SF and then you were benched for the final, what would that do for your confidence? Would you feel you had your managers absolute faith?

Son was subbed on and off in a game earlier this season, he recovered ok. The players have to understand that it is a squad game and that the manager picks the team.

It would make me feel that I was second string to Kane and Son - rightly so. I'd hope any footballer at our level would be able to understand that only a sustained period of very high level performance would be able to knock either of them from the perch.

Not sure I agree with you to have TWO players in the starting lineup coming back after many weeks out. One is a calculated risk; two is reckless... especially against Liverpool's diabolical press. And nobody mentioned neither Dier nor Wanyama

Agree with this, we simply can't start the game with 2 semi-fit players who haven't played a match for 2 months. 1 we might be able to get away with but certainly not too, this isn't a league match where we can make up ground here - the biggest match in the history of the club and it's imperative we start well given our record of going behind early in big games.

Honestly I think it’s worth taking a risk on Winks more than Kane. We are well stocked up front but Dier against Liverpool is one of the seven deadly sins. He loses his mind completely against that kind of press. Wanyama too struggles against a press. I would prefer Dele or Eriksen dropped deep than either of those two.

We are not well stocked up front, that is the point - and the problem we have just about coped with for weeks now.

Llorente just isnt a plan A option, he is best from the bench.

Son and Moura are great, but need a focal point to play off or they go missing.

I wonder if we have any practice matches or anything between now and the final? Would be good to see if Winks is close. If he's fit I would take the gamble. Tough decision for Poch though

I wonder if we have any practice matches or anything between now and the final? Would be good to see if Winks is close. If he's fit I would take the gamble. Tough decision for Poch though

I fully expect a couple of behind closed doors type games, but they are never really full speed are they? So its impossible to say how prepared he would be.

The thing is, he hasnt played since 24th Jan. Has been out injured, then under the knife, then in recovery, and apparently now fit.

I just cannot imagine him getting a start in the CL final, his first competitive football in 128 days, as being a good idea.

He really needs games to get up to speed before really being in contention, and I dont think a friendly against Barnet reserves will count...

UnfortunateDiligentGosling-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

Better?

Honestly I think it’s worth taking a risk on Winks more than Kane. We are well stocked up front but Dier against Liverpool is one of the seven deadly sins. He loses his mind completely against that kind of press. Wanyama too struggles against a press. I would prefer Dele or Eriksen dropped deep than either of those two.
I agree. I've seen Winks come in from a break and hit the ground running before -- part of his metronomic style, I guess, where he plays lots of low risk passes rather than relying on a handful of through balls, etc. Not that he can't play defence-splitting passes, mind, but rather that we need someone at DM to keep us ticking. Him and Sissoko is our best combination this season, plus it allows Eriksen and Deli to play further up the pitch.

Sadly though, I think Kane plays if fit, and we'll suffer for it. I'd much rather play Son and Moura as wide forwards (or perhaps more like old fashioned inside forwards running the channels) with Dele as a false 9 as I think Liverpool will struggle with that -- we badly need to pin their fullbacks back. Not a style we've played much this season, sadly. That gives us the option of sticking Kane on at half time (for whoever's having an off game) and changing our style -- flexibility has been very much one of our strengths this season, albeit one borne out of necessity. And the further option of sticking Llorente on late on for a defender.

Something like this:

-------------- Lloris
Aurier -- Toby -- Verts -- Rose
------ Sissoko ----- Winks
------------- Eriksen
-- Moura -- Dele -- Sonny

Whatever happens, Trippier gets nowhere near the pitch. I'd rather have Foyth at RB.

.......Sissoko .....Eriksen
..Moura......Alli.........Son
...............Kane

Moura and Son being fed by Eriksen gives Liverpool plenty to think about
Eriksen plays as the architect and makes it all happen
Alli gets to play in his best position with his partner, the lads a big game player and this is his stage.
Even half fit Kane is the best option for those to play with, and yet another issue for Liverpool to live with.

Think we should plan for it to go to extra time and penalties. If both Harrys start, odds are they will have to be subbed off around 70 mins.

If instead they come on after 70 mins they could still play a pivotal role in deciding the outcome in our favour. If however the scores are still level after 120 mins then we'll need them both on for the shoot out.

Rather them than Wanyama or Dier taking pens any day.

I think there is definitely benefit to Winks coming on around 70 minutes, its around then Liverpool start to run themselves out and gaps and opportunity arise.

His composure and ability to play passes etc could be a great tactical option.

Kane? Id be happier starting him. We have much poorer options upfront than in midfield, and ideal we can start strong and get it done within the 90 - Kane can be integral to that.

And if need be Llorente can come on for him and do his super sub routine.

Its easier and less problematic to play up front a bit rusty than in midfield, especially against a side like Liverpool.

Think we should plan for it to go to extra time and penalties. If both Harrys start, odds are they will have to be subbed off around 70 mins.

If instead they come on after 70 mins they could still play a pivotal role in deciding the outcome in our favour. If however the scores are still level after 120 mins then we'll need them both on for the shoot out.

Rather them than Wanyama or Dier taking pens any day.
Is that the same Eric Dier who scored the massive pressure penalty for England after Henderson Gerrarded all over the place?

Back