• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT: Tottenham Hotspur vs Emirates Marketing Project (part 2/3) ***

I agree: this is next years rules.....

The changes mean gaining control or possession and then scoring as a consequence of handling the ball will not be allowed - neither will a goal scored directly from handling the ball, regardless of intent.

Another change to the laws of the game means that if the player's arms extend beyond a "natural silhouette", handball will be given, even if it is perceived as accidental.

Elleray says this is an effort to put an end to defenders placing their arms behind their backs in fear of giving away a free-kick.

"We've changed it to say the body has a certain silhouette," said Elleray. "If the arms are extended beyond that silhouette then the body is being made unnaturally bigger, with the purpose of it being a bigger barrier to the opponent or the ball.

"Players should be allowed to have their arms by their side because it's their natural silhouette."

Not sure where Llorente falls fouls of any of that.

The bizarre thing with the other night is the obsession with whether it hit his arm or not.......even if it did (i think it did) it still wasnt an infringement under the laws of the game. (and perhaps even next seasons, maybe a ref could tell us what would happen to LLorente goal if it was next season)
The handball rule is getting too complicated.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...s-terrified-upstarts-like-Tottenham-Ajax.html

One of the sporadic nice to read articles by Martin Samuel. Very much on point about the fear we and Ajax face from traditional clubs.

I find him so frustrating. Basically the Alan Hansen of football writers.

A total bellend most of the time just spouting nonsense, but actually capable of genuine and fair insight...

Does anyone else have a horrible feeling that VAR will work against us in the SF?

No itll be fine, neither Spurs nor Ajax warrant any special favour from the powers that be, it should end up being a fairly officiated game.

If either of us were playing one of the big boys however...

Bang on the money with both points there, nayim.

If we make the final, it's so high profile that surely there could be no shady mis-application of VAR. Not so soon in its implementation while there is the need for public buy-in.

Does anyone else have a horrible feeling that VAR will work against us in the SF?
No itll be fine, neither Spurs nor Ajax warrant any special favour from the powers that be, it should end up being a fairly officiated game.

If either of us were playing one of the big boys however...
I don't think anyones been 'done up' by VAR. I thought PSG had been and I thought we had been both by the handball penalties, but they were correct on the implementation of the new rule of 'making yourself bigger' so stupid, but correct.

If VAR works against us it's likely because there is a decision that needs correcting and if it's not to our benefit this time, so be it. Any other year we would be out of the CL now (unjustly), fairness cuts both ways, if Ajax proceed when a wrong is made right...good luck to them.

I don't think anyones been 'done up' by VAR. I thought PSG had been and I thought we had been both by the handball penalties, but they were correct on the implementation of the new rule of 'making yourself bigger' so stupid, but correct.

If VAR works against us it's likely because there is a decision that needs correcting and if it's not to our benefit this time, so be it. Any other year we would be out of the CL now (unjustly), fairness cuts both ways, if Ajax proceed when a wrong is made right...good luck to them.

It really was just a tongue-in-cheek comment after the "V-A-R, V-A-R" songs, VAR MOTM etc etc., that it would be sod's law that the same happens to us in reverse.

Im pretty sure its been seen to favour the bigger teams on the continent already, Im sure @r-u-s-x said as much.

There's not just the call for if the decision is right, dont forget - but if it is even made as well. Still a lot left to a refs discretion and open to being weighted one way or the other.

Its one of the main reasons Im more a fan of the decision coming down the line from a remote location, a ref not involved in the atmosphere etc...

Im pretty sure its been seen to favour the bigger teams on the continent already, Im sure @r-u-s-x said as much.

There's not just the call for if the decision is right, dont forget - but if it is even made as well. Still a lot left to a refs discretion and open to being weighted one way or the other.

Its one of the main reasons Im more a fan of the decision coming down the line from a remote location, a ref not involved in the atmosphere etc...
No system is perfect, but anything that pushes us towards 100% is welcome.

It depends on how 'favouring the big teams' is measured?

Some of the decisions are obviously still subjective, but if a ref has multiple replays and angles to look at he is more likely to 1.Get it right and 2.Justify his decision after the game. Do agree about the 'down the line ' approach though.

Also having more people involved in the process make it harder for any bias, collusion, corruption to affect the reffing of a game. (Gutterboy will natrually poo poo this)

I wont argue with any of that, made the same points myself in the thread.

Generally Im pro-VAR.

However, I do think the current implementation is sufficiently bad that it seems there are still iffy decisions being made.

I dont have it to hand but Im sure rusx was saying decisions were still favouring the "big" teams.

Generally Im pro-VAR.

However, I do think the current implementation is sufficiently bad that it seems there are still iffy decisions being made.

I dont have it to hand but Im sure rusx was saying decisions were still favouring the "big" teams.

Do you mean iffy as incorrect or iffy as in biased/dodgy?

All line decisions are pretty much locked down on VAR but naturally many of the others are subjective still and throw that together with the greyish areas of some of the laws and difference of opinion will happen. As long as I can see how a ref has come to a conclusion (eg Salah pen on Sunday) I can accept it (might think it's a bit gonad*s) .

One other thing VAR gives a ref is time. We can see how tricky some decisions are when he has 2 minutes to review it, so the split second decisions that were made without VAR you would now feel a bit of a w.anker digging the ref out about?

Remember that Rochdale cup game at Wembley.:eek:...the low point of VAR.

Last edited:

Generally Im pro-VAR.

Is it "favouring the big teams" or is more likely that a team dominating a game with faster/fitter/better players create more VARable incidents?

General question rather than a direct response to your post.

Back