• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur vs Woolwich Wanderers OMT ***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
794A5804-F2E9-4CF6-B2EF-7F2B0288465C.png
Kane offside, not sure how that could be argued. Also not enough contact to send a big guy like Kane to the ground. Contact does not equal a foul, it’s a contact sport.

See the photo. He can’t be offside as the foul takes precedence (I assume as it’s a worse offence). I’d also say that at the speed they move at that was more than enough to knock him over

Kane offside, not sure how that could be argued. Also not enough contact to send a big guy like Kane to the ground. Contact does not equal a foul, it’s a contact sport.
I've yet to see a proper still showing Harry offside, the BT sport ones the ball had clearly moved at least a yard. Rule is when the ball is played, not a yard later.

Why should our penalty not have stood?

Kane wasn’t offside

You’re right, by the letter of the law he actually wasn’t but I didn’t realise that till after the game and saw it online. I’d also be steaming if we conceded a penalty on a technicality like that. You are correct though. I wonder if that’s why the linesman kept his flag down or if he just thought Kane was on.

Disagree with Jurgen on the contact. Thought Kane got a fairly hefty knock.

The other thing I love about JJs reaction above actually is how dejected he looks before the penalty.

Watching it, I fudged my phone off the table and sat there slumped in my chair and resigned to losing the game. Didn’t want to engage with anyone and a million thoughts went through my head about what this defeat meant for our season. You can see JJ is doing the same.

That’s what so fudging wonderful about this game. You can go from that sort of dejection to ecstasy in one kick of a ball. Magic.

You’re right, by the letter of the law he actually wasn’t but I didn’t realise that till after the game and saw it online. I’d also be steaming if we conceded a penalty on a technicality like that. You are correct though. I wonder if that’s why the linesman kept his flag down or if he just thought Kane was on.

Disagree with Jurgen on the contact. Thought Kane got a fairly hefty knock.

I think the lino just missed it

Their is so much debate about it which I find odd

People in the game like shearer are arguing Kane is going for the ball so is offside as he is active..

I assume it came in via the non interferring rule change for offside

The other thing I love about JJs reaction above actually is how dejected he looks before the penalty.

Watching it, I fudged my phone off the table and sat there slumped in my chair and resigned to losing the game. Didn’t want to engage with anyone and a million thoughts went through my head about what this defeat meant for our season. You can see JJ is doing the same.

That’s what so fudging wonderful about this game. You can go from that sort of dejection to ecstasy in one kick of a ball. Magic.

Absolutely! I was at the game yesterday. I was well up for it. Gutted when Ramsey scored. Cheered when Harry scored, but was disallowed, boo. Roared for the penalty award. Shaking when Harry buried it. Rock bottom when Taylor awarded them the pen. Roared when Hugo saved it, nearly jumped out of the stadium when Jan blocked the rebound. Rollercoaster!

Only the rules??

It doesn’t matter if your in an offside position until you go for the ball

Kane couldn’t go for the call as he was fouled before hand hence why it’s a penalty

Has the rule changed then? I thought the rule was when the ball is played if you’re in an offside position then you’re offside, which Kane was when Eriksen kicked the ball.

Has the rule changed then? I thought the rule was when the ball is played if you’re in an offside position then you’re offside, which Kane was when Eriksen kicked the ball.

Read the post I made earlier quoting you

Your only offside when you go for the ball. If your fouled before attempting to play the ball (like kane was) then it’s a foul. It’s basically your not interfering with play until you actually attempt to play the ball. Simply running wouldn’t count unless you go for the ball and Kane couldn’t as he was fouled when attempting to go for the ball

I think there has been a slight change. You’re not offside until you play the ball or attempt to play the ball. Only at that point does the linesman put his flag up for offside.

I prefer the old way when they raised it immediately.

As soon as the pen was given my mates all left their seats to go and im not sure if they were around to see the wsave and clearance from Jan

I think there has been a slight change. You’re not offside until you play the ball or attempt to play the ball. Only at that point does the linesman put his flag up for offside.

I prefer the old way when they raised it immediately.

It's not so much as the rule (law) has changed more that the interpretation has changed. Either way it was applied correctly in awarding the foul and not the offside - generally any changes to offside law and/or interpretation are made in order to aid the attacking team and thus make the game more enjoyable.

Had Kane touched the ball first and then been fouled then the correct decision would have been to award the offside as that is the point that he becomes active.

The slight red herring in this incident is that the linesman is not in line and so doesn't get the perfect view looking across; however, regardless of this had he had a clear view he still would have kept his flag down.

We benefited from another real technicality of the offside law last season at Anfield with the first penalty when Kane appeared to be offside from dele's through ball; on that occasion whilst he was clearly offside and received the ball from dele's forward pass the fact that an opponent (Lovren) clearly made a deliberate contact of the ball nullified all else before it.

This therefore isn't getting lucky and i'm sure we'd point to many occasions where decisions have gone against us. For me, we got far luckier by Vertonghen not being penalised for encroachment for the saved penalty or Rose only receiving a yellow. By letter of law penalty could easily have been reordered to be taken and Rose shown a red.

It's not so much as the rule (law) has changed more that the interpretation has changed. Either way it was applied correctly in awarding the foul and not the offside - generally any changes to offside law and/or interpretation are made in order to aid the attacking team and thus make the game more enjoyable.

Had Kane touched the ball first and then been fouled then the correct decision would have been to award the offside as that is the point that he becomes active.

The slight red herring in this incident is that the linesman is not in line and so doesn't get the perfect view looking across; however, regardless of this had he had a clear view he still would have kept his flag down.

We benefited from another real technicality of the offside law last season at Anfield with the first penalty when Kane appeared to be offside from dele's through ball; on that occasion whilst he was clearly offside and received the ball from dele's forward pass the fact that an opponent (Lovren) clearly made a deliberate contact of the ball nullified all else before it.

This therefore isn't getting lucky and i'm sure we'd point to many occasions where decisions have gone against us. For me, we got far luckier by Vertonghen not being penalised for encroachment for the saved penalty or Rose only receiving a yellow. By letter of law penalty could easily have been reordered to be taken and Rose shown a red.

A red for rose would have been extremely harsh imo, its a loose ball the keeper has fumbled, rose has every right to go for that. I've not seen a replay but as I seen it it was as much the moving towards rose as it was rose foot going through the ball.

I've yet to see a proper still showing Harry offside, the BT sport ones the ball had clearly moved at least a yard. Rule is when the ball is played, not a yard later.
Just checked my video recording frame by frame which shows that Kane was also in an offside position in all the frames immediately before the one BT used.

But it's irrelevant because the rules (below) say the foul takes precedence until the moment he touches the ball.

I think the lino just missed it

Their is so much debate about it which I find odd

People in the game like shearer are arguing Kane is going for the ball so is offside as he is active..

I assume it came in via the non interferring rule change for offside
Wonder whether Shearer bothered to read the rules?

Offside offence
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is touched or played by a teammate is only penalised for committing an offside offence if, in the opinion of the referee, they become involved in active play by:

Interfering with play
"playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate"[1]

Back