• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

The best way to attract custom is to be successful. Keep winning football matches and people will keep buying tickets.

As for staying in the stadium, that's all about the supply/demand balance. I didn't say charge the highest price, that wouldn't work. We need to charge the highest price that generates the maximum revenue.
So we are agreed it's all about what price will ultimately achieve the maximum revenue. However have we not been told that the club first needs to change a deeply-ingrained habit in the majority of us fans, ie to induce us to arrive much earlier than normal and stay behind much longer after the match. Reasonably priced drinks at the outset are doubtless part of the medium to long term strategy to change our habits.

Once we're hooked we can surely expect prices to increase accordingly. Gulp!

I think one can.

Any price that doesn't perfectly match the demand/supply ratio is money the club is tinkling away that could be spent on players and wages. We're already playing against a rigged deck, we have to punch above our weight just to be where our turnover dictates, let alone where we currently are. We can't afford to be turning away income.

This for me as well, it always amuses me that there are some fans who complain about the price of tickets '(as if they are forced to buy them). The funny thing is that some of these fans think nothing about buying the expensive phones, the latest b oys t oys, putting the nosebags on and eating out at expensive resturants etc, etc.

Yer p ays yer money and takes your choice ( or not if you choose not to).

Last edited:
So we are agreed it's all about what price will ultimately achieve the maximum revenue. However have we not been told that the club first needs to change a deeply-ingrained habit in the majority of us fans, ie to induce us to arrive much earlier than normal and stay behind much longer after the match. Reasonably priced drinks at the outset are doubtless part of the medium to long term strategy to change our habits.

Once we're hooked we can surely expect prices to increase accordingly. Gulp!
That doesn't match up with ticket pricing practices though.

There's virtually no limit to the amount of beer we can sell, so we price that accordingly. There is, however, a limit to the number of away tickets we can sell. There is also far higher demand for those tickets than there is supply. Therefore we should be pricing them as high as possible without demand dipping below the number of tickets available.

This for me as well, it always amuses me that there are some fans who complain about the price of tickets '(as if they are forced to buy them). The funny thing is that some of these fans "think nothing about buying the expensive phones, the latest eurodance records, putting the nosebags on and eating out at expensive resturants etc, etc. you touch yourself and takes your choice" ( or not if you choose not to).

Go on, admit it mate. You've got that on a Word doc. on your desktop, so you can just cut and paste once a week ;)

I am not wrong though am i. :D

The thing is I think you probably are. Soz:oops:. If you're spending money on "expensive phones/gizmos/fashion/restaurants/etc" the chances are you're either not going to football or you're not complaining about ticket prices, because the "expensive ticket" is a bit of a trophy purchase like all the other items and you can afford it. There is a whole section of support and their progeny, as much the foundations of the club (business?) we have now as the Nicholsons, Blanchflowers and McKays of this world, who are becoming dis-enfranchised because of cost.

The support of a football team is not really something you can change because of relative cost (otherwise we'd all be rocking up at Barnet). Some of us are in a position to make a choice to attend. Like me and the guy I talk to on the train down. Me because the kids have left home and, what spare I have, I can now spend on a season ticket. Him because he's retired from a good job and has chosen to spend his sizeable pension lump sum on premium seats at £5k a season for 4 seasons. Neither of us were able to do that when we had families to consider. And there's the rub. We, and I suspect you, ain't gonna be around for ever and where are the numbers to replace us. At the moment it looks more and more like people will choose to support from the local pub ot their sofa, while the actual match becomes a tourist destination and selfie opportunity.

All market forces I know (and don't get me wrong I think Levy is a master in that regard and to be lauded for it) but I think it's a little unfair to be so dismissive of people being priced out of following the team they love.

The thing is I think you probably are. Soz:oops:. If you're spending money on "expensive phones/gizmos/fashion/restaurants/etc" the chances are you're either not going to football or you're not complaining about ticket prices, because the "expensive ticket" is a bit of a trophy purchase like all the other items and you can afford it. There is a whole section of support and their progeny, as much the foundations of the club (business?) we have now as the Nicholsons, Blanchflowers and McKays of this world, who are becoming dis-enfranchised because of cost.

The support of a football team is not really something you can change because of relative cost (otherwise we'd all be rocking up at Barnet). Some of us are in a position to make a choice to attend. Like me and the guy I talk to on the train down. Me because the kids have left home and, what spare I have, I can now spend on a season ticket. Him because he's retired from a good job and has chosen to spend his sizeable pension lump sum on premium seats at £5k a season for 4 seasons. Neither of us were able to do that when we had families to consider. And there's the rub. We, and I suspect you, ain't gonna be around for ever and where are the numbers to replace us. At the moment it looks more and more like people will choose to support from the local pub ot their sofa, while the actual match becomes a tourist destination and selfie opportunity.

All market forces I know (and don't get me wrong I think Levy is a master in that regard and to be lauded for it) but I think it's a little unfair to be so dismissive of people being priced out of following the team they love.

While I'm sympathetic of fans being priced out (I couldn't afford it younger, because for me it meant a flight to UK +hotel ++), what I'm not sympathetic to is the people that on one hand complain about prices of tickets, kits, etc and then 10 seconds later bitch about why don't we buy x player or pay y player "whatever he wants". Fans cannot demand success then complain about the club being all about the business .. quite honestly it's a childish point of view.

Spurs is back in the top 10 richest clubs this year (and that is all down to Levy), but the story is telling. We are now truly clear of the rest (~200M in income higher than Everton/West Ham), very close to the Scum, but still well behind (but closing) United, Pool, City. Chelsea.

Once we get the stadium, naming rights, NFL deal, additional WHL events kicking in, we will be much closer to securing our long term future (i.e. being able to buy our way out of trouble at appropriate points as we have seen Pool/United do for some years now)

I am not being dismissive of anyone ( not by intension anyway), my point is that people spend their money on what they consider to be a priorty to them. If folks spend their money on the things i mentioned earlier rather then on watching football that is THEIR decision. No point in moaning if they have no money over for football, i know a few who no longer go because they have decided to spend a fortune on the things i mentioned rather then a football match.

As for younger supporters not going to games i honestly do not see that at all and i meet a lot of these young supporters on my travels to games. I except that we have a nation of couch potatoes who get their buzz from Sky and the like but that is their CHOICE and i know several of them who do, but you know what they do have expensive phones, the latest b o ys t oys, drink like fishes and all the extra toys. As i say yer p a y s yer m o n e y and takes your choice.

These are all entirely fair points, I don't argue with any of them. I'm not sure however that, from the Spurs perspective, the away ticket price cap (if that's still what we're talking about) does anything to address them. Unlike the majority of clubs perhaps, the demand was there anyway in our case. So for us, it's a largely mis-targetted and wasteful subsidy, which I suspect is why Levy opposed it.

These are all entirely fair points, I don't argue with any of them. I'm not sure however that, from the Spurs perspective, the away ticket price cap (if that's still what we're talking about) does anything to address them. Unlike the majority of clubs perhaps, the demand was there anyway in our case. So for us, it's a largely mis-targetted and wasteful subsidy, which I suspect is why Levy opposed it.

We're definitely on the same page with regards away tickets, albeit it is a bit "big club" (are we allowed to call ourselves that?) specific. Clubs should be able to charge what the market will stand i.e. a scandalous amount for Ar5e/Chelsea/Mancs & 50p for Burnley with free beer thrown in :D

I am not being dismissive of anyone ( not by intension anyway), my point is that people spend their money on what they consider to be a priorty to them. If folks spend their money on the things i mentioned earlier rather then on watching football that is THEIR decision. No point in moaning if they have no money over for football, i know a few who no longer go because they have decided to spend a fortune on the things i mentioned rather then a football match.

As for younger supporters not going to games i honestly do not see that at all and i meet a lot of these young supporters on my travels to games. I except that we have a nation of couch potatoes who get their buzz from Sky and the like but that is their CHOICE and i know several of them who do, but you know what they do have expensive phones, the latest b o ys t oys, drink like fishes and all the extra toys. As i say yer p a y s yer m o n e y and takes your choice.

The point is I don't necessarily think they are the ones complaining. Sure some will be (and you're comments seems to suggest you know a few) but they'll complain about the price of their phone or the quality of their expensive meal to get a freebie, those people have always been about. Football (and society in general) is changing and there are those that are being left behind/priced out. I don't think any of us are going to be able to put a stop to that but we shouldn't make judgements about those that express their disquiet about it. It's not a binary argument, there's a whole grey area out there so I'll agree to differ. Just don't come complaining to me about me about the "theatre like atmosphere" or being surrounded by Sonny's K-Pop fans :p;)

The point is I don't necessarily think they are the ones complaining. Sure some will be (and you're comments seems to suggest you know a few) but they'll complain about the price of their phone or the quality of their expensive meal to get a freebie, those people have always been about. Football (and society in general) is changing and there are those that are being left behind/priced out. I don't think any of us are going to be able to put a stop to that but we shouldn't make judgements about those that express their disquiet about it. It's not a binary argument, there's a whole grey area out there so I'll agree to differ. Just don't come complaining to me about me about the "theatre like atmosphere" or being surrounded by Sonny's K-Pop fans :p;)

As you say we will have to agree to differ :) As for atmosphere well its been going downhill at home games for a while now ( and i would expect it to do so at the new ground), thankfully it is still brilliant at the away games ( which in all honesty i prefer going to). :cool:

As you say we will have to agree to differ :) As for atmosphere well its been going downhill at home games for a while now ( and i would expect it to do so at the new ground), thankfully it is still brilliant at the away games ( which in all honesty i prefer going to). :cool:

With you on the away games but then we're back to the closed shop again.........

@Parklaner81 you cannot post right after @parklane1 . It gets awfully confusing.

You make your choices. If season ticket costs go up by an amount that averages out to say £20-£30 a month more then you ask yourself questions like do I jack in my season ticket or do I eat out once a month less?

What do you value more?

Most fans will tell you how much they love Spurs and how long they have supported etc, but then find it hard to give up small comforts against a season ticket.

Like often said, you make your choice

I wonder if the is a little bit of friction between him and Poch now. It looked like Levy might have farted at one point as he seemed to lift up to one side like you do when sat down and trying to fart, he knew Poch was sat behind him. First time I have ever really seen them together what with Poch sat in the stand and the camera constantly going to him.

Also all the talk was that Levy wanted to sign young British players from the championship and Poch not thinking they are good enough. Makes you wonder is it the end of a great love affair.

Back