• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

Superb cross for the Vertonghen goal. Had it all - line, length, swerve.

For all his flaws, I like the look of him. Plays with gusto, looks like he's actually having fun out there.

Where we are heading we need better than Tripps/Aurier. It's a position we can strengthen.

Of course Poch could push one of them to the elite level, but I just don't see it.

The conversation will always return to how one or the other is coming up short.

Agree

It’s the one area that is a genuine obvious weakness

People argue CM but yet again we’re dominant in that area against a supposedly better equipped side

But rught back is an area where most of the chances against us have come from this season

Where we are heading we need better than Tripps/Aurier. It's a position we can strengthen.

Of course Poch could push one of them to the elite level, but I just don't see it.

Dont see Tripper making the step up to elite level, he has improved from when we signed him, but his lack of pace will always hinder him from becoming a great right back as that is almost an essential part of the job these days. Look at how managers are moving wingers back to fullback position, they think they can teach wingers to defend. But you cant coach speed.

I am thinking of Hogdson at Palace amongst others, seems a trend to want a fast fuulback/wingback ahead of other attributes these days.

Dont see Tripper making the step up to elite level, he has improved from when we signed him, but his lack of pace will always hinder him from becoming a great right back as that is almost an essential part of the job these days. Look at how managers are moving wingers back to fullback position, they think they can teach wingers to defend. But you cant coach speed.

I am thinking of Hogdson at Palace amongst others, seems a trend to want a fast fuulback/wingback ahead of other attributes these days.

You make a good point but with me its not just speed Trippier lacks he seems unable to see who/what his running in behind him and usually means he is chasing the player rather then facing him. Extra speed of course would help him in that but the biggest problem ( imo) is that he fails to see the space he leaves and struggles when opposing players move into it.

You make a good point but with me its not just speed Trippier lacks he seems unable to see who/what his running in behind him and usually means he is chasing the player rather then facing him. Extra speed of course would help him in that but the biggest problem ( imo) is that he fails to see the space he leaves and struggles when opposing players move into it.

Walker had similar issues, lack of awareness etc, but also had superhuman recovery skills so could compensate.

Trippier does have that get out of jail free card.

Though obviously, as you say, better to not have that weakness in the first place.

of the 2, I'm surprising myself by saying I think Aurier has the better chance of getting better. Trippier has a tendency to lapse, and that's really hard to engineer out of a player if they are still doing it at his age. If he was 20, I'd say give him time, which is what I would love to see us do with KWP - he's got real potential, just needs to iron out the loose moments.

As I wrote loose moments I then thought of Foyth as well - so I guess we have a few nippers who need to learn from those around them and iron out the mistakes.

Trips though, could well have peaked.

of the 2, I'm surprising myself by saying I think Aurier has the better chance of getting better. Trippier has a tendency to lapse, and that's really hard to engineer out of a player if they are still doing it at his age. If he was 20, I'd say give him time, which is what I would love to see us do with KWP - he's got real potential, just needs to iron out the loose moments.

As I wrote loose moments I then thought of Foyth as well - so I guess we have a few nippers who need to learn from those around them and iron out the mistakes.

Trips though, could well have peaked.

I think this is a valid point, from where he was when he first signed its easy to see the progress/improvement he has made with Poch's help. However i do believe he has peaked and it obvious for fans to see that he now has a weakness ( balls played in behind him) and if fans can see it then sure as brick opposing mangers can.

For most of last season, until he messed up against City, Trippier was competent enough at the back but outstanding going forward.

He is having a difficult time defensively at the moment but I'd argue still decent going forward. Most players have spells of poor form but are often unrecognisable as the same player once they get their confidence back. I say stick with him, Poch will ensure he comes good again just like practically every other player in the squad.

For most of last season, until he messed up against City, Trippier was competent enough at the back but outstanding going forward.

He is having a difficult time defensively at the moment but I'd argue still decent going forward. Most players have spells of poor form but are often unrecognisable as the same player once they get their confidence back. I say stick with him, Poch will ensure he comes good again just like practically every other player in the squad.

And don’t forget Trippiers injury that he came home with after the WC

Poch has said himself that it wasn’t handled correctly

I always thought Tripps was ok defensively with the exception that he was mega iffy against decent wide men (martial sanchez etc) BUT this season his defensive game has fallen apart. He looks like an amateur. His awareness of danger, positional sense, pass selection is alarmingly bad, and costly.

It could be a confidence thing, but after a decent world cup, it's confusing why that would happen.

I always thought Tripps was ok defensively with the exception that he was mega iffy against decent wide men (martial sanchez etc) BUT this season his defensive game has fallen apart. He looks like an amateur. His awareness of danger, positional sense, pass selection is alarmingly bad, and costly.

It could be a confidence thing, but after a decent world cup, it's confusing why that would happen.
Agree, until recently his defensive work has been okay except against the top wide players. Unfortunately his confidence has taken an extra big knock this season following a series of high-profile, costly errors, especially against that type of player, and that has had a knock-on effect on his overall form.

However I don't believe he has been quite as bad as some are making out. It seems to me that when he makes an error that costs us, such as in the United game recently, this negatively colours the view of his overall performance. Anyone who watched him closely in that United game should have noticed that he was very decent going forward.

He put in a whole series of quality balls into and around the box, especially second half, most of which found their target and some of which led to attempts that on another day would have resulted in goals. He even cleverly nutmegged Luke Shaw first half before putting in an excellent cross from which Eriksen (I think it was) went close, but that was soon after the blunder that led to United's goal so understandably no one was in any mood to applaud him for it.

Anyone reading this forum after that match would have believed he'd had the game from hell. Such is the fickleness of fandom.

People seem to make a big point about Trippier's crossing ability but I have been impressed with Aurier's crossing for some time. Also, unlike Trippier, despite his occasional losses in concentration and he is better equipped to deal with pace.

Back