• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next 9 League Games

I think some on here dream of being disappointed and venting on an internet forum.

Spurs fans are natural born pessimists. Years of disappointment, years of "if it can go wrong, it will go wrong...", and years of the like of Arsenal over taking us and rubbing our noses in it have made pessimism and negativity a natural state for us.

Hope is scary. People need to be brave to embrace it.

I can understand those that err on the "I dont want to get excited because the disappointment will hurt even more....."

Then there is a whole other breed who just bitch and moan without reason, for whom negativity seems to be a sport. Cant fathom those guys at all...

For me its not the disappointment will hurt, its just a case of being realisitc in that dont think will win the title. We are five points off top, we will likely have to beat Emirates Marketing Project and Liverpool away to have a good chance and when was the last time we did that? Beyond those two games we still have the toughest fixtures. We consistently have form for being good until we have the chance to get close and then find a way to mess it up - how often during last three years have we even been top of the league? Nothing wrong with being optimistic at all, but I cant think of many reasons why we will win it- I'd say we are the 3rd best team all things being equal and will most likely finish there. And you wont have any complaints from me about that, with all the restrictions we have had to contend with that will be a great season.....

For me its not the disappointment will hurt, its just a case of being realisitc in that dont think will win the title. We are five points off top, we will likely have to beat Emirates Marketing Project and Liverpool away to have a good chance and when was the last time we did that? Beyond those two games we still have the toughest fixtures. We consistently have form for being good until we have the chance to get close and then find a way to mess it up - how often during last three years have we even been top of the league? Nothing wrong with being optimistic at all, but I cant think of many reasons why we will win it- I'd say we are the 3rd best team all things being equal and will most likely finish there. And you wont have any complaints from me about that, with all the restrictions we have had to contend with that will be a great season.....
To dare is to do dude. Sometimes the planets do line up, like our first CL qualification. Do I think we'll do it? I'd say we have a 1 in 10 chance but I'll gladly take those odds. Until we are mathematically out of it I will still believe we can do it. Also Steff sent me some of his drugs.

Spurs fans are natural born pessimists. Years of disappointment, years of "if it can go wrong, it will go wrong..."
This. Even when we score I think "good good but one goal is nothing". When we get the second I think "baaaaaaah come on man, two goals is a slender lead". It is only when the third goal goes in to make it 3-0 with 10 minutes to go that I can finally uncork the pent-up bile and release a tsunami of vitriol into the world.

Spurs have broken me.

I still feel like I've had 100 brilliant Spurs moments, and 500 awful Spurs moments.

I have a sneaky feeling we can do it. If pool draw again to Bournemouth who are on a good ride at the moment and we win all our games (very tough I know) we can do it.

Liverpool also have to go to united who are also on a roll so I think they will drop points too. Why can't we spring a surprise at City or anfield. For that to happen though I do think we need to change our tactics as the last couple of seasons at anfield and city we we have been ripped apart (although did manage to scrape that 2-2 at anfield).

I'm as negative as the next negative spurs fan but I'm also optimistic the next day. But I'm bored of being negative as it comes out in your day to day life too so why not just believe in stuff and if it doesn't happen just say ah well. I think we would all be happier that way in general.

If we can get an announcement about the stadium and a moving day this season that could be a lift itself to the players when we are already quite confident. Go quietly along our way with no tweets or insta posts of lions and I think we might be pleasantly surprised.

30 Jan Watford (H)
2 Feb Saudi Sportswashing Machine (H)
10 Feb Leicester (H)
13 Feb Dortmund (H)

Nice big break

23 Feb Burnley (A)
27 Feb Chelsea (A)
2 Mar Arsenal (H)
5 Mar Dortmund (A)
9 Mar Southampton (A)
17 Mar Palace (H) (FA Cup 6th round weekend, Palace may still be involved)

International break

31 Mar Liverpool (A)
Doable #COYS

I have a sneaky feeling we can do it. If pool draw again to Bournemouth who are on a good ride at the moment and we win all our games (very tough I know) we can do it.

Liverpool also have to go to united who are also on a roll so I think they will drop points too. Why can't we spring a surprise at City or anfield. For that to happen though I do think we need to change our tactics as the last couple of seasons at anfield and city we we have been ripped apart (although did manage to scrape that 2-2 at anfield).

I'm as negative as the next negative spurs fan but I'm also optimistic the next day. But I'm bored of being negative as it comes out in your day to day life too so why not just believe in stuff and if it doesn't happen just say ah well. I think we would all be happier that way in general.

If we can get an announcement about the stadium and a moving day this season that could be a lift itself to the players when we are already quite confident. Go quietly along our way with no tweets or insta posts of lions and I think we might be pleasantly surprised.

The order of things is key as well:
09/02 - Liverpool - Bournemouth
10/02 - City - Chelsea
24/02 - Man Utd - Liverpool
27/02 - Liverpool - Watford and City - West Ham
02/02 - Bournemouth - City
03/03 - Everton - Liverpool

Id expect Liverpool to beat Bournemouth, big relief for them 3 points ahead.
I think City will do Chelsea, Liverpool dragged back again, can they take it?
I hope Utd turn them over, thats the game in hand then gone, a defeat and deflation.
Then Id expect them both to get results on the 27th, status quo, pressure building.
I fully expect City to beat Bournemouth, which will be the first time they go ahead of Pool.
Then its the Merseyside derby....

If while this is happening we can keep winning and make sure theres more pressure from below even better!

Well, the last game in that 9 match run of 'easy' fixtures is in a couple of weeks, Burnley away. Win that, and Liverpool lose away at Utd, we could be 2 points off the top, and a minimum of 10 points clear in the Champions League places.

Not quite a title challenge imo as we have too many difficult away games left and I just don't think we are playing well enough to win them. But we have given ourselves a shot and if our form picks up, Harry comes back and goes into GHod-mode, then who knows? But I think, if we can beat Burnley, then we have broken the back of Champions League qualification.

Well, the last game in that 9 match run of 'easy' fixtures is in a couple of weeks, Burnley away. Win that, and Liverpool lose away at Utd, we could be 2 points off the top, and a minimum of 10 points clear in the Champions League places.

Not quite a title challenge imo as we have too many difficult away games left and I just don't think we are playing well enough to win them. But we have given ourselves a shot and if our form picks up, Harry comes back and goes into GHod-mode, then who knows? But I think, if we can beat Burnley, then we have broken the back of Champions League qualification.

We've been much more convincing away from Wembley this season... I wouldn't overlook our away form. I'd back us in.

Wow, great effort to get four wins out of that home stretch.

We'll need the rest because the rubber meets the road with four of the next five away.

That's a demanding stretch after the break - at Chelsea, home to Arsenal, away to Dortmund - all within seven days - then away to an improving Southampton. Wouldn't shock me to see the Chelsea game get a little nasty as they will do what they can to muck up our season, channeling the same attitude from that bitter 2-2 draw.

But if we have a healthy squad after this break, we can give every game a real go. At this point, there surely isn't a single Spurs player that won't be bursting with confidence. Even Llorente's probably grown an inch or two in the past 2-3 weeks with his contributions.

Dortmund likely will put their best resources into our visit. Either side of the CL game, they play relegation battlers Augsburg and Stuttgart and should be comfortable winners in both games.

After that Southampton game, there could well be another long break depending on how Crystal Palace do in the FA Cup. Spurs next game after March 9 could be away to Liverpool on the 31st.

Strange how the schedule can work sometimes. But it gives Poch plenty of time to work on fitness and tactics for a big push as the season winds down.

Last edited:
@greatwhitenorf I think the team works best when we have a run of games, something about the machine that Poch creates.

I think the rest before and after the Dortmund game will help, then with a few fresh legs (Kane, Dele, Rose perhaps Davies all back) and a run of back to backs, could see us doing well.

The Chelsea game had me worried, but it's their 4th game in 10 days and 3 days after cup final ..

Season comes down to the Pool and City games, 3rd and a CL QF would be an amazing result in this clusterfudge of a season, but get something out of those two, and we may really exceed expectation.

I'm not a huge advocate of looking too far ahead. One game at a time, and all that. But...

When you look at how admirably Spurs have coped with a massively congested schedule - something like 21 games in 82 days - it becomes a compelling aspect of this season's success. So far(not to tempt fate).

When you have three really big games in seven days, the two biggest league derbies, and a huge CL game, it's only natural to ponder on how to cope with it.

I'd forgotten about Chelsea's league cup final. Who hasn't?! But hopefully they make a better effort than their last game against City and run their tiny, tin foil hearts into exhaustion.

One game at a time and all that, but a win at Burnley will be so crucial to set us up for the 'run of hate' games we'll have after that:

Burney A, Sat 23rd Feb
Chelsea A, Weds 27th Feb
Arsenal H, Sat 2nd Mar
Dortmund A, Tues 5th Mar
Southampton A, Sat 9th Mar

The weekend after the Southampton game is meant to be a home one vs Palace; However that would likely be moved if Palace (as expected) get through against Doncaster in the FA Cup this weekend...

Two intense London derbies against teams who would make us their cup finals these days, will go on out even more to mess us up.
The good thing for us is they'll both be going into the games against us having had similar tough schedules (and actually Chelsea will have played even more games with both FA Cup AND League cup final to play).

Imagine if we came out of that run with 12 points and a CL quater final to look forward to??:eek:

COYFS

Please?

Burnley is huge, Arsenal I hold no fear, maybe sounds silly but we are by far the better side there and I expect us to win at home. Chelsea away not so confident but who knows.

I don't see that run as too bad really, not by todays standards

Win against Burnley and we're suddenly just two points behind with City already having played and Liverpool going to Old Trafford the day after.

Back