• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

- Germany recession looming..
- Italy in recession..
- Mass Riots against Macron in France
- EU army planned
- EU threatening Italy Hungary & Poland
- EU Vetos being removed

Might not be a bad time to be leaving

It's always going to be difficult managing the collective interests of a large number of nations. Nevertheless I fail to see how the UK on its own has greater trade negotiating clout than the EU. More likely we will be ripe to be rogered soundly up the arse by trading nations obviously more powerful than us i.e, the USA, while various vested interests, corporate and individual, watch with glee as they fill their boots, top up the trust fund, and pay off the mortgage of the summer house in the Hamptons.

Still at least we won't have the Poles, Romanians, Hungarians, Bulgarians et al ramping up our wages, and sending all their hard earned wealth home to buy vast property portfolios, rather than spend it here. No, instead we will have anyone willing to come and work for the minimum wage (or less) from outside the EU (and possibly inside too) on a "special" (aka only for industries that make large party donations or have connections) visa doing exactly the same.

Now that's what I call Brexit.

Reactions: DTA
Just to interrupt Brexit for a moment, as this was an old favourite of Chich as I recall:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47228698

£53m to not build something. Pigs at the trough.

Back to Brexit...

I absolutely hated it and that Lumley woman for putting it forward. Do not know why politicians put forward crap like this when a better use of tax payers money would have been to extend the tram network in south London or even a tube network there not a fcuking bridge.

Most interesting thing in European politics at the moment is actually what is happening in Spain, you think the EU really like democracy....

Brexit: Could Labour rebels form new party?

Laura Kuenssberg
Political editor

You'll be used to people in my kind of job saying things like, "these are critical days".

And hands up, on many of the occasions when a big move is predicted, a damp squid often comes along to squelch the expectation.

What I'm about to say may well be a repetition of that familiar phenomenon. But I'm not the only person in Westminster this week to be wondering whether after many, many, many months of private conversations where this possibility was discussed, in the next couple of weeks, maybe even in the next couple of days, something that actually is critical is going to start happening.

It is far from secret that since Jeremy Corbyn was elected, many of his MPs have been unhappy with his style of leadership and clashed with his ideology.

Those who challenged him were comprehensively beaten by the massed ranks of Labour members who rallied to his cause.

And since the 2017 election worked out better for him than many in Labour could ever have imagined, the public attacks on him from his own MPs have been much more muted, with even his fiercest rivals, in the main, keeping their criticisms to themselves. The often predicted splintering of the party has never happened.

But the boiling pot of Brexit and repeated concerns inside the party over anti-Semitism mean that might genuinely be about to change.

Moment of decision
It's no secret that a small group of Labour MPs has been discussing for many months whether to leave the party, and if so, when and how.

For any MP, this is a huge decision. For many of them, whatever their tribe, their political party is like part of their family, certainly a huge part of the fabric of their lives.

But there's a rising expectation that under stress, a small-ish group of Labour MPs might be ready to say goodbye to that, and quite soon.

The unhappiness with the Labour leadership is, of course, not new. But the moment of decision may have arrived because some of the MPs in the small group who are contemplating leaving felt it was worth staying in a party they felt was hostile to them as individuals while they had a chance of influencing Brexit policy.

But as the final shakedown over Brexit approaches and Jeremy Corbyn's attitude to another referendum stays the same - obviously not enthusiastic - their frustration is reaching new levels.

And if they can't get him to the position of backing another vote, for them, what's the point of hanging around to defend a policy they don't believe in, in a party they believe is no longer their own?

Brexit showdown
It's also true for some of those involved, the threat of deselection that would oust them from their seats in any case is very real.

They might prefer to go down on a point of principle over Brexit, than stay around with the threat of being forced out by their own side hanging over them.

It's not impossible, therefore, that before the final Brexit showdown, the long-discussed breakaway group actually breaks away.

Fascinatingly, some members of the shadow cabinet say it would be a really serious blow. Others essentially say, "so what?"

And this doesn't mean that there is a new party, ready to spring out of the box.

It doesn't mean either that the political environment that Westminster operates in will radically, and suddenly, change.

This may, of course, not happen at all.

Some of those involved have talked in the last 24 hours as if it is inevitably going to happen, and maybe in the next few days. Others are far more cagey, and are dousing expectations.

But there is a detectable sense among those who have been discussing departure for many many months, that if they are ever going to do it, then the moment is coming soon, perhaps very, very soon.

For those who've felt the moment approaching for a long time, enough may now have proved enough.

Brexit has always had the potential to redraw the political lines beyond a period of parliamentary turmoil. As the parliamentary turbulence approaches its peak, perhaps the permanent lines will genuinely break.

Just to interrupt Brexit for a moment, as this was an old favourite of Chich as I recall:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47228698

£53m to not build something. Pigs at the trough.

Back to Brexit...

This is corruption not incompetence - I have no doubt in my mind.

As is this https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ncels-brexit-ferry-contract-with-no-ship-firm - this is dodgy and in any other time this would be getting someone sacked and repercussions further up.

ISIS Girl comes back to UK wanting support after defecting and fighting against the UK and hating the western world. Wowzers

I will call this, the Labour rats will largely be limited to traitorous sell outs who are likely to be de selected anyway. Don't let the door ...

That was the rumour the other week. Could it kill of the Lib Dems and take their usual vote? Bring in some red and blue voters along the way as well?

Or is it more likely a big song and dance and then nothing?

It doesn't work like that

All the main parties are over 100 years old (Tories and Liberal go back to the early nineteenth century) and have massive infrastructures. Even the Lib Dems have hundreds of councillors, tens of thousands of members, lots of resources. 5 or 6 individuals would have nothing, other than their seats for the next 3.5 years.

Upstart parties just can't operate in FPTP. Even UKIP never got an MP elected (just Carswell defecting). A new party would just get wiped out at the next general elections. It's a pretty kamikaze move

Do you think it’s just a position to take for leverage? ERG are making all the running, the more centrist blue and red need to put pressure on too. Hence these murmurings?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I'd think it's exactly that. Umunna and co trying to force the Labour front bench to be less Brexity

The way to change political direction is to take over a party, not splinter it. A coup from within is how Blair/Brown moved Labour more right, and how Cameron/Osborne moved Cons more left (socially, not economically).

I'd think it's exactly that. Umunna and co trying to force the Labour front bench to be less Brexity

The way to change political direction is to take over a party, not splinter it. A coup from within is how Blair/Brown moved Labour more right, and how Cameron/Osborne moved Cons more left (socially, not economically).

A question: why aren't centrist politicians doing well anymore?

Back