• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The glorious march to CL qualification

F>U>C>K ME

I can't BELIEVE that shi.te

We go 1-0 up in 24 seconds, absolutely cruising and the whole team just drops into second gear and can't be bothered???

Jesus Christ, Saudi Sportswashing Machine are terrible and we made them look like Barca.

Don't get me started on Fernandinho, what was he doing?

Aguero?? De Bruyne?? Sterling?? Sane??

Useless, sell the lot and burn down the Etihad.

And get rid of that Primadonna Prick Guardiola.

I heard the lads on Last Word on Spurs discuss this on their podcast on Monday. Traditionally I have always been of the mind that winning FA Cup/League Cup should be the priority even over top 4; based purely on the emotion, as a fan, I'd get a lot more out of the joys of winning a trophy at Wembley. However the reality, specifically for THFC, is this:

Since ENIC took control of THFC in 2001 the following teams have won domestic cups:

Chelsea - 8
Woolwich - 6
Man Utd - 6
Liverpool - 5
Emirates Marketing Project - 4

That equates to over 80% of the trophies won.

we have 1 League Cup and the other cup winners in this period with 1 each are:
Portsmouth, Wigan, Swansea, Birmingham, Middlesbrough and Blackburn

Look at the names of those teams who have won a cup - what do they all have in common? None of them are even in the Premier League now.

Now consider which teams have appeared in the Champions League during that period:

Woolwich - 16
Man Utd - 16
Chelsea - 14
Liverpool - 10
Emirates Marketing Project - 9
Spurs - 4
Saudi Sportswashing Machine - 2
Leicester - 1

This says to me that it is NOT winning a cup that elevates a team to greater sustained levels and the virtuous cycle it is regularly qualifying for the champions league which in turn allows you to hoover up greater revenue, players and as a result trophies.

Added to this lets remember that (unfortunately) Man Utd, Liverpool and Woolwich are the established forces of English football - none of them has gone longer than 8 years without winning a trophy since the war. Then Emirates Marketing Project an Chelsea have bought their way to the top table.

Essentially this means Poch has to decide how best to ensure we finish in the top 4 and continually qualify for the CL as this, in his mind, how to build the club rather than hoping to 'luck out' a cup run which the evidence suggests has little to no guarantee will enhance the club's position further.

If he feels the best way to ensure this (taking into account an unnatural amount of injuries) is to rest players for the FA Cup then I have some sympathy with him.

As a caveat I do completely agree that we have failed in several transfer windows to bolster the squad when reinforcements were needed and this has had a contributory effect too.

An interesting stat - the league table since matchday six, currently looks like this:

1. Liverpool 45 points in 18 games
2. City 43 points in 19 games
3. Spurs 42 points in 18 games
4. Arse 38 points in 19 games
5. Manure 36 points in 19 games
6. Chelski 32 points in 18 games

With all top three teams with 14 wins.

An interesting stat - the league table since matchday six, currently looks like this:

1. Liverpool 45 points in 18 games
2. City 43 points in 19 games
3. Spurs 42 points in 18 games
4. Arse 38 points in 19 games
5. Manure 36 points in 19 games
6. Chelski 32 points in 18 games

With all top three teams with 14 wins.

Let me update - this is the league table from the last 19 games:

1. Liverpool 46 points
2. Spurs 45 points
3. City 43 points
4. Arse 38 points
5. Manure 36 points
6. Chelski 32 points

That's not to shabby for a struggling team with no depth, no luck, no signings and no stadium.

Let me update - this is the league table from the last 19 games:

1. Liverpool 46 points
2. Spurs 45 points
3. City 43 points
4. Arse 38 points
5. Manure 36 points
6. Chelski 32 points

That's not to shabby for a struggling team with no depth, no luck, no signings and no stadium.

We’d have 90 points had we been halfway competent

I have just layed us on betfair to get 4th.

Will make a few quid if we dont get there, if we do then I am going to let every prick who has been on at me for months fcuking well know about it.

There's no way we will fail to finish in the top 4. We haven't been playing that well the last few games and we are 7 points clear of 4th place. We'll pick up again and our injuries will clear up more -- I think we are nailed on for top 3 again.

Yeah it was purely an insurance policy to be honest with you.

I heard the lads on Last Word on Spurs discuss this on their podcast on Monday. Traditionally I have always been of the mind that winning FA Cup/League Cup should be the priority even over top 4; based purely on the emotion, as a fan, I'd get a lot more out of the joys of winning a trophy at Wembley. However the reality, specifically for THFC, is this:

Since ENIC took control of THFC in 2001 the following teams have won domestic cups:

Chelsea - 8
Woolwich - 6
Man Utd - 6
Liverpool - 5
Emirates Marketing Project - 4

That equates to over 80% of the trophies won.

we have 1 League Cup and the other cup winners in this period with 1 each are:
Portsmouth, Wigan, Swansea, Birmingham, Middlesbrough and Blackburn

Look at the names of those teams who have won a cup - what do they all have in common? None of them are even in the Premier League now.

Now consider which teams have appeared in the Champions League during that period:

Woolwich - 16
Man Utd - 16
Chelsea - 14
Liverpool - 10
Emirates Marketing Project - 9
Spurs - 4
Saudi Sportswashing Machine - 2
Leicester - 1

This says to me that it is NOT winning a cup that elevates a team to greater sustained levels and the virtuous cycle it is regularly qualifying for the champions league which in turn allows you to hoover up greater revenue, players and as a result trophies.

Added to this lets remember that (unfortunately) Man Utd, Liverpool and Woolwich are the established forces of English football - none of them has gone longer than 8 years without winning a trophy since the war. Then Emirates Marketing Project an Chelsea have bought their way to the top table.

Essentially this means Poch has to decide how best to ensure we finish in the top 4 and continually qualify for the CL as this, in his mind, how to build the club rather than hoping to 'luck out' a cup run which the evidence suggests has little to no guarantee will enhance the club's position further.

If he feels the best way to ensure this (taking into account an unnatural amount of injuries) is to rest players for the FA Cup then I have some sympathy with him.

As a caveat I do completely agree that we have failed in several transfer windows to bolster the squad when reinforcements were needed and this has had a contributory effect too.

Great, great post dude. Well-made argument bolstered by stats in the right context.

I don't see how you make any other argument after reading your post, tbh.

There's no way we will fail to finish in the top 4. We haven't been playing that well the last few games and we are 7 points clear of 4th place. We'll pick up again and our injuries will clear up more -- I think we are nailed on for top 3 again.

Oh GHod now you've done it!! I admire optimism and confidence, but phrases like "There's no way we will fail" and "nailed on" just strike fear deep into my oh so S-pursy heart!!!

Keep your powder dry my friend and wait for the infallible maths to prove your point.

Back