• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

FA Cup or Top 4?

FA Cup OR finishing in the top 4?

• Win FA Cup (and finish outside of top 4)

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Finish in top 4 (and don't win FA Cup)

Votes: 53 85.5%

• Total voters
Winning a trophy > not winning a trophy, of course, however i think it's in the better interests of the clubs development to not miss out on 70m or whatever of CL money and experience the knock on effect that would come about as a result. I can put up with some lean years if it means we become a club capable of matching the likes of Chelsea Arsenal and Liverpool for wages and transfers as that would mean we're a club capable of fighting for all honors, consistently.

Top 4 but the attitude shouldn't be that cups are not worth winning or it's better not to win cups we have to move towards top 4 and a cup.this year is a write off with an unusual amount of injuries that I would consider bad luck.we could have had Burton in the league cup and a Lower league team in fa cup that was also bad luck.Win wed and it's all forgotten

Since 1973 (46yrs) we have won
3 FA Cups
2 League Cups
1 Uefa Cup

Thats it, this idealist view of Tottenham as this all all conquering cup team is absolute fantasy.

In that time we have been relegated - and finished in the top 3 just 6 times
3 of those times are the last 3 years

Since 2009 we have finished in the top 6, 9 times in a row, one more time than the 37yrs previously combined

Since 2009 a non top 4 club has won the FA cup once

So if winning a cup every 8yrs but finishing 11th is what you want, great, however its shown over the last 10yrs that only teams in the top 4 win the cup now anyway
Therefore the primary concern is to build a squad, team and club that over time is part of the top 4, once this happens and you get the "luck of the draw" we may win one
But by not trying to become a top 4 club, taking the champs league money and building a team you wont win a cup anyway.

Last edited:
I feel for you. Personally, there is nothing depressing about supporting Spurs right now. I am thoroughly enjoying what we are doing as a club and as a team.
There are disappointments, of course.
But “depressing” is reserved for days gone by.

I'm depressed by our seemingly endless trophy drought, and by the glass ceiling we seem to have hit given our spending habits. And after weeks like this where our hopes of silverware come crashing down, I'm hurt.

Not necessarily depressed on the whole. On the whole, I feel pretty calm - I don't delude myself about the fact that we won't see major progress until the next owners come in, but I'm hoping that will be soon. And then we can dream again.

FA Cup without a doubt. The game is about winning trophies and those moments that we have lacked for over 11 years. CL is nice but all that was ever said about it is that get there regularly or even at all and it opens you up to signing better players and paying higher wages etc and going on to win trophies. Well that isn't happening at Spurs and before the stadium issue is brought up, that shouldn't have an impact on the extra money brought in by CL, indeed we were told it was all separate funding which would appear now not to be the case.

So on that basis, what's the point? Our players will leave unless we do both things, we don't seem capable of doing both things as seen over recent seasons so if its one or the other, I prefer growing the roll of honour and enjoying occasions like 2008 which are surely what football is about, the glory, rather than growing the pockets of the owner by qualifying for a tournament we don't strive to win and at times discarding other competitions we can win to qualify again for a competition we again won't strive to win.

I'm depressed by our seemingly endless trophy drought, and by the glass ceiling we seem to have hit given our spending habits. And after weeks like this where our hopes of silverware come crashing down, I'm hurt.

Not necessarily depressed on the whole. On the whole, I feel pretty calm - I don't delude myself about the fact that we won't see major progress until the next owners come in, but I'm hoping that will be soon. And then we can dream again.

Frustrated is probably more apt?

How anyone can even contemplate the thought of spending the first year or so in our new stadium without CL football is beyond me.

Perhaps the club could open the doors on a Tuesday and get 60,000 supports to cough a £100 each to file past the trophy cabinet to have a butchers at the Calaboose Cup while we screen the scum vs Barcelona at least then you’ll still be able to watch Dele, Eriksen and co

I’m never wrong, but sometimes I may be less right

When exactly did we hit this 'glass ceiling'?.... I must've missed it?!?

Cup draw on one show in a minute. Let’s see who we could have got.

I’m sure there are a few hoping palace get Chelsea or city.

Cup draw on one show in a minute. Let’s see who we could have got.

I’m sure there are a few hoping palace get Chelsea or city.

By far the worst thing that’s ever happened to the FA Cup.

Also, isn’t it weird that they still have the draw but show none of the games?

Feel very sad to read some of these posts.
Personally I’ve enjoyed 95% of the last 5 seasons.
Its been great and now Spurs are moving forward.

I really can’t get enough head around the some on here. But it’s thier loss, I’m having a ball with the Pochettino era!

We’ve never had it so good

Back