• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Window Thread

Quite a bit of what Liverpool have spent was as a result of selling Coutinho. Like when we spent the Bale money. Yes they have spent more on top of that, but not an outrageous amount. And they haven't had a new stadium to build.

I posted a series of numbers earlier about what their owners have spent (net) on Liverpool since taking over. Total came to about 300m, iirc, by way of covering (often large) losses, share issues, paying down existing debts and providing interest free loans.

They haven't had a stadium to build (even though they have had a stadium expansion to fund). But that hasn't stopped them backing the teams they've had and the managers they've had - going above and beyond the club's own finances to do so.

As I've often mentioned, our lot just use the money the club generates in a semi-competent fashion. They aren't comparable, imo.

Liverpool aren’t spending £1bn on a new stadium are they?!

Are Daniel Levy and Joe Lewis funding that? My GHod! I never realized!

No, the club's funding it's own stadium. They have taken zero risks to back their men, and never will. Not in their business model.

The next owners will hopefully be more than competent administrators, and move us up beyond the glass ceiling that ENIC have now reached. And we can part ways amicably at that time. Hopefully, anyway.

No, the club's funding it's own stadium. They have taken zero risks to back their men, and never will. Not in their business model.

The next owners will hopefully be more than competent administrators, and move us up beyond the glass ceiling that ENIC have now reached.

Deleted my post, I really can’t be bothered with the same unicorn arguments all over again.

Last edited:
Chimbonda joins tenth-tier side
Former Pompey and Tottenham defender Pascal Chimbonda is on the move.

He has joined North West Counties League Division One outfit Ashton Town.

The 39-year-old has no plans to call it a day just yet and could make his debut this weekend.

So you want owners that spend more than we make? Do you think the way FSG have spent in the last 18 months is sustainable?

Yes, and yes.

What is the point in having miserly owners who never actually do anything other than administrate?

English football sold its soul to rich owners right from the start - whereas clubs on the continent have maintained an invaluable link between the fans and their clubs via fan ownership, English clubs have always been wholly owned by rich folks. The tradeoff that English fans presumably went for was that those rich owners would invest in their teams, to bring them success.

We are now, however, happily in a situation where we neither have owners willing to invest, nor any actual fan ownership to compensate for that utter lack of support. It's the worst of both worlds, and the fact that ENIC are roughly competent only partly assuages this issue - it doesn't change it.

My ideal, as always, would be fan ownership. I would happily pay the cost of a season ticket, even if I were never able to actually go to games, being in Canada - because I would be a part-owner of the club that I love. And I would not care one bit if we never spent anything in that scenario, because we would have something special to treasure that outweighed all of it.

But, failing that, I'd rather just get someone that is willing to help the team get across the line. This virtue-signalling of being sustainable is pointless in a world where *any* club can be made sustainable with one sponsorship from a state-owned company, or one round of commercial deals after a title win.

I posted a series of numbers earlier about what their owners have spent (net) on Liverpool since taking over. Total came to about 300m, iirc, by way of covering (often large) losses, share issues, paying down existing debts and providing interest free loans.

They haven't had a stadium to build (even though they have had a stadium expansion to fund). But that hasn't stopped them backing the teams they've had and the managers they've had - going above and beyond the club's own finances to do so.

As I've often mentioned, our lot just use the money the club generates in a semi-competent fashion. They aren't comparable, imo.

The next owners will hopefully be more than competent administrators, and move us up beyond the glass ceiling that ENIC have now reached. And we can part ways amicably at that time. Hopefully, anyway.

Its about that simple to sum up basically. In total agreement.

Yes, and yes.

What is the point in having miserly owners who never actually do anything other than administrate?

English football sold its soul to rich owners right from the start - whereas clubs on the continent have maintained an invaluable link between the fans and their clubs via fan ownership, English clubs have always been wholly owned by rich folks. The tradeoff that English fans presumably went for was that those rich owners would invest in their teams, to bring them success.

We are now, however, happily in a situation where we neither have owners willing to invest, nor any actual fan ownership to compensate for that utter lack of support. It's the worst of both worlds, and the fact that ENIC are roughly competent only partly assuages this issue - it doesn't change it.

My ideal, as always, would be fan ownership. I would happily pay the cost of a season ticket, even if I were never able to actually go to games, being in Canada - because I would be a part-owner of the club that I love. And I would not care one bit if we never spent anything in that scenario, because we would have something special to treasure that outweighed all of it.

But, failing that, I'd rather just get someone that is willing to help the team get across the line. This virtue-signalling of being sustainable is pointless in a world where *any* club can be made sustainable with one sponsorship from a state-owned company, or one round of commercial deals after a title win.

On a roll today, summed up perfectly.

The Sun

BARGAINING TOOL
Josh Maja to Celtic – Hoops could sign striker this month if he is loaned back to Sunderland

The Hoops are interested in the 20-year-old Black Cats ace who is out of contract in the summer

SUNDERLAND are ready to sell Celtic target Josh Maja - if they can get him back on loan.

The Hoops are showing an interest in the 20-year-old London-born striker who has knocked back an offer of £6,000-per-week by the cash-strapped Wearsiders.

Maja, who scored his 16th goal of the season in his team’s 1-1 draw at Sclamhorpe at the weekend, can quit Jack Ross’ Championship side for nothing at the end of the season.

That has alerted Brendan Rodgers who could snap up the hot prospect in the sort of deal that attracted Moussa Dembele to Parkhead from Fulham in the summer of 2016.

However, the Black Cats are keen to do business within the next 10 days and accept a fee for the player with a season-long lease-back clause included in the contract.

However, if Maja runs down his deal, that would allow the Scottish champions to land him for around £500,000 in a cross-border development fee, a similar figure that brought Dembele in a move to the Hoops before his £19.8million August switch to Lyon.

West Ham are watching developments with Bundesliga outfits Stuttgart, Cologne and Wolfsburg also linked with the attacker.

Maja had a starring role in Sunderland's hit Netflix documentary where his debut goal against Fulham was caught on camera.

Just like FSG built one new stand at Anfield that had to pay for itself in five years. Next up is the Anfield Road end which currently isn't financially viable as it would take as much as 15 years for it to make enough money to pay for itself. I don't believe their current spending on players is sustainable, but as long as there's a Suarez or Coutinho to flog they can carry on.

Just like FSG built one new stand at Anfield that had to pay for itself in five years. Next up is the Anfield Road end which currently isn't financially viable as it would take as much as 15 years for it to make enough money to pay for itself. I don't believe their current spending on players is sustainable, but as long as there's a Suarez or Coutinho to flog they can carry on.

As I've mentioned before, they've put somewhere around 300m into the club, mate. Yes, they aim to be sustainable, like we do - but they don't do it at the expense of on-field ambitions, and they aren't afraid to put their money where their mouth is.

As I've mentioned before, they've put somewhere around 300m into the club, mate. Yes, they aim to be sustainable, like we do - but they don't do it at the expense of on-field ambitions, and they aren't afraid to put their money where their mouth is.

We've seen many owners do that and we've also seen most of them abandon their clubs when the trophy haul didn't happen and they realised they'd have to keep pumping money in to keep up. I think Liverpool have taken a chance by spending a lot of money now, meaning they will have less to spend in the next few years.

We've seen many owners do that and we've also seen most of them abandon their clubs when the trophy haul didn't happen and they realised they'd have to keep pumping money in to keep up. I think Liverpool have taken a chance by spending a lot of money now, meaning they will have less to spend in the next few years.

Right, but if owner longevity is our goal...why? I mean, it's not like having ENIC in charge for five years or fifty makes any difference to what their overall goal is - buy low, sell high. A longer timeframe could have helped re: a longer term project like the stadium, but given that it's being built with the club's own money, the only thing really required of any owner, ENIC or otherwise, is oversight.

FSG have been in charge at Liverpool for about a decade - I'd suggest that as a reasonable timeframe for any owner, no?

How long has this been our "glass ceiling"?

By the same use of the phrase as you use now we could previously have said that getting to the CL consistently, getting to the CL at all, or even being a consistent top 6 side have been our "glass ceiling" in the not too distant past.

The improvement under Levy has been tremendous. You say we're now at a glass ceiling, I say let's see how far this improvement can take us.

Back