• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

Incidentally, am I the only one who thinks its utterly fudging embarrassing that so many high profile "leaders" (and such) are conducting this all on Twitter?!

I don't think they conduct these things on Twitter (well, maybe Trump) but Twitter is the world where all the journos and pundits live. A quick tweet and it's everywhere else instantly.

I don't think they conduct these things on Twitter (well, maybe Trump) but Twitter is the world where all the journos and pundits live. A quick tweet and it's everywhere else instantly.

The leader of the Scottish government is on twitter taking jabs at the Prime Minister, making statements about what has been said, and what she is/isnt prepared for, and making demands.

Id say she is conducting plenty. And it is utterly classless. And it is of course far from just her.

Is this really what politics in this country has become? Its shameful and embarrassing, no wonder they cant organise a tinkle up in a brewery.

The leader of the Scottish government is on twitter taking jabs at the Prime Minister, making statements about what has been said, and what she is/isnt prepared for, and making demands.

Id say she is conducting plenty. And it is utterly classless. And it is of course far from just her.

Is this really what politics in this country has become? Its shameful and embarrassing, no wonder they cant organise a tinkle up in a brewery.
Yes - a lot of people argue its good as it allows direct contact but I think its embarrassing. It is the Trump affect.

Yes - a lot of people argue its good as it allows direct contact but I think its embarrassing. It is the Trump affect.

Trump is the extreme edge of it (and a total embarrassment, needless to say), but this has been going on since before him hasnt it?

It disgusts me. How are we to have any faith in the future - with any of them in charge - if this is how they think they should act?

EDIT:

This is, IMO, a very different thing to simple interaction.

Its nice to be accessible, great in fact for people to be able to reach others in these lofty positions - but there is a line.

It would allow them to join EFTA but not necessarily the EEA.
http://www.efta.int/About-EFTA/Frequently-asked-questions-EFTA-EEA-EFTA-membership-and-Brexit-328676

If the UK would re-join EFTA, would it automatically become party to the EEA Agreement?

Not automatically, as each EFTA state decides on its own whether it applies to be party to the EEA Agreement or not. According to Article 128 of the EEA Agreement, “any European State becoming a member of the Community shall, and the Swiss Confederation or any European State becoming a member of EFTA may, apply to become a party to this Agreement. It shall address its application to the EEA Council.” The EEA Council takes political decisions leading to the amendment of the EEA Agreement, including the possible enlargement of the EEA. Decisions by the EEA Council are taken by consensus between all EU Member States on the one hand and the three EEA EFTA States - Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway - on the other.

Yes - sorry. I did know the difference between EFTA and EEA and think what I wrote is correct.

The better situation is EFTA without EEA (i.e. Switzerland rather than Norway), although neither are great; other than they are much easier to leave than the withdrawal agreement

I end up looking at quite a lot of tweets these days, even though I don't actually have Twitter...

Same here. Its where the news/info is. Its what people default to.

I dont actively seek it out, but when presented often end up looking at the threads (which are, to my eye, horrible to read).

Annoyingly the firewall at work doesnt allow, so I end up having to switch to my phone to read some bits.

Yes - sorry. I did know the difference between EFTA and EEA and think what I wrote is correct.

The better situation is EFTA without EEA (i.e. Switzerland rather than Norway), although neither are great; other than they are much easier to leave than the withdrawal agreement
Swiss is still a rule taker, still free movement and ECJ are still final and binding arbiter.

(*they are part of EEA in all but a few small things)

at work the Trump thread is pretty much blank for me as it bans twitter.

I've currently got some time off work, so my laptop tends to stay on all day (and me on it, a lot more than I should be). Have most Monday's off too, same thing. I just don't use the internet on my phone at all, so when I'm working I stay in the dark until I see the news on break -- I don't really miss the internet when I'm working, but sat at home I'm always on it.

Swiss is still a rule taker, still free movement and ECJ are still final and binding arbiter.

(*they are part of EEA in all but a few small things)
I don't believe that describing EFTA and EEA members as rule takers is particularly accurate.

Whilst they have no real say in EU law (nobody really does anyway - when is a constitution not a constitution?), that doesn't cover their external trade. Products and services traded with the US or he Middle East don't have to conform to EU standards, they confirm to the standards set out in those trading arrangements. This means that EFTA members can compete internationally in a way thst EU members can't. They're also able to set their own rules on taxation and compete with EU members for trade that way.

I'd say we're far more of a rule taker in our current position than we would be using the Norway or Switzerland model.

Back