• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

What a sad sad sad day. One of my favourite current players, albeit I know his performances and fitness dropped but what a beast of a player. Injuries took its toll on this man. A full fit Dembele we will miss sorely. Let's hope he has passed off a lot of his knowledge and skills to our younger players.

Wish him all the very best and hope he can storm it out in China.

Im strangely ambivalent on it.

Probably because his leaving has been telegraphed for a while, but also likely because he has barely played for what seems like forever.

He fell out of my thinking for the team a long time ago.

Im a fan of his, on form I think he is wonderful to watch, but I am quite unaffected by his leaving today. Which itself is kind of sad.

Let's face it, he is leaving because he can no longer meet the demands of a PL season. If he could we would keep him or he would move elsewhere. This is like semi-retirement so he can leave with half a gold watch.

Let's face it, he is leaving because he can no longer meet the demands of a PL season. If he could we would keep him or he would move elsewhere. This is like semi-retirement so he can leave with half a gold watch.

I dont disagree with all of that.

I do think he isnt up to the EPL any more. I do think he should be looking at a semi-retirement position.

I DONT think thats why you move to China. People ONLY do that for the money.

If he wanted a semi-retirement job, he should have gone to Inter.

SerieA has an extensive record of nursing players like him to play for years at that level. Offers CL football. Offers European lifestyle. And, of course, offers good money also (albeit, less than China).

If this really was a football move, he would have gone there. Ive no doubt this is just a payday move.

Of course, thats a choice he is free to make! Just for me personally its a bit disappointing, Id have kept an eye out for Inter if he was there just to see him play some more.

I dont disagree with all of that.

I do think he isnt up to the EPL any more. I do think he should be looking at a semi-retirement position.

I DONT think thats why you move to China. People ONLY do that for the money.

If he wanted a semi-retirement job, he should have gone to Inter.

SerieA has an extensive record of nursing players like him to play for years at that level. Offers CL football. Offers European lifestyle. And, of course, offers good money also (albeit, less than China).

If this really was a football move, he would have gone there. Ive no doubt this is just a payday move.

Of course, thats a choice he is free to make! Just for me personally its a bit disappointing, Id have kept an eye out for Inter if he was there just to see him play some more.

Agree. He should have gone an bossed Serie A for 2-3 years. That's the sad bit of the news.

It is really stupid to sell Dembele for just 11m to China now. Even if he has become injury-prone, we could still use him in key matches. He is highly rated by all the pundits as being one of the best midfielders in Europe. With us suffering from injury problems to our other midfielders like Sissoko, Wanyama and Dier, we should have kept Dembele at least until end of the season. We should have at least buy his replacement first before selling him,

Really surprised that Dembele decided to go to China instead of looking for other clubs in Europe. The only trophy he won was the Dutch league title with Az Alkmaar in 2009. He should have tried to win a major trophy in Europe before going to China. Surprising that he chose big money instead of major trophies. He is only 31 and can still play a few more years of competitive football despite his injuries. Won't be surprised if he is lured to a big European club within 1 year of playing in China.

When we bought Dembele and Dempsey together from Fulham in 2012, it was a real coup as Dembele was wanted by all the big clubs in Europe, especially ManU. I think both Dembele and Dempsey's biggest contribution to us was inspiring us to that historic 3-2 away win over ManU in 2013. It was always a great joy to watch Dembele dribbling past all the players. But it was a pity Dembele was let down by poor finishing and only scored 10 goals in 242 matches for us. He could have been a even better player for us if he had scored more goals for us.

So, with Dembele now going to China, we will only have Lloris, Vertonghen, Eriksen and Lamela left as players bought during the AVB era of 2012/13. Can understand Pochettino trying to build a team of his own players but he should make sure they are better than what we already have.

A virtually impossible skillset to replace - he'll be missed hugely.

How many other midfielders regularly dribble centrally from deep, tackle that well, press that well, and also have the vision and ability to be an elite passer too?

I can only think of players with some of those attributes who could be converted to a Dembele.

A virtually impossible skillset to replace - he'll be missed hugely.

How many other midfielders regularly dribble centrally from deep, tackle that well, press that well, and also have the vision and ability to be an elite passer too?

I can only think of players with some of those attributes who could be converted to a Dembele.
This. the only one that comes to mind is Sissoko.

It is really stupid to sell Dembele for just 11m to China now. Even if he has become injury-prone, we could still use him in key matches. He is highly rated by all the pundits as being one of the best midfielders in Europe. With us suffering from injury problems to our other midfielders like Sissoko, Wanyama and Dier, we should have kept Dembele at least until end of the season. We should have at least buy his replacement first before selling him,

Really surprised that Dembele decided to go to China instead of looking for other clubs in Europe. The only trophy he won was the Dutch league title with Az Alkmaar in 2009. He should have tried to win a major trophy in Europe before going to China. Surprising that he chose big money instead of major trophies. He is only 31 and can still play a few more years of competitive football despite his injuries. Won't be surprised if he is lured to a big European club within 1 year of playing in China.

When we bought Dembele and Dempsey together from Fulham in 2012, it was a real coup as Dembele was wanted by all the big clubs in Europe, especially ManU. I think both Dembele and Dempsey's biggest contribution to us was inspiring us to that historic 3-2 away win over ManU in 2013. It was always a great joy to watch Dembele dribbling past all the players. But it was a pity Dembele was let down by poor finishing and only scored 10 goals in 242 matches for us. He could have been a even better player for us if he had scored more goals for us.

So, with Dembele now going to China, we will only have Lloris, Vertonghen, Eriksen and Lamela left as players bought during the AVB era of 2012/13. Can understand Pochettino trying to build a team of his own players but he should make sure they are better than what we already have.
Completely disagree. You cannot carry a player in your squad who is only able to play for short periods of time, gets injured often and then takes a while to come back from injury. That is especially the case when the player is one of your bigger earners and taking up an overseas player spot.

The story I saw was that the player would rather sign for Emirates Marketing Project but PSG are most likely as they are the only club who will pay the 66 million euro asking price.
I don't think that's a lot to stump up for him, the problem is wasting our time getting the deal to that stage when we know one of the clubs on cheat mode will just offer more.

Back