• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

He doesn't need any of them. Those who voted for no confidence plus the DUP would win by a narrow margin over those who voted against less the DUP.
as I said "DUP believing him and believing they wil get more out of him than a beleaguered May." - I cant see how he brings the DUP along with him.

as I said "DUP believing him and believing they wil get more out of him than a beleaguered May." - I cant see how he brings the DUP along with him.
May is trying to push through a deal with a backstop they don't want. Corbyn could promise them otherwise.

So then all that remains is to denounce his terrorist friends and promise to protect the sanctity of the Union.
But he doesn't believe in the sanctity of the Union - he could say he believes in the sanctity of the GFA and let demographics do its job I suppose.

He is a bit brick though as well.

I regret that Ed Milliband allowed himself to "focuessed grouped" to death as when he is natural he is decent and he is a happy medium.
You mean Ed "should have been David" Milliband?

His brother would be PM with a comfortable majority IMO. The opinion polls repeatedly showed that the public didn't trust Ed with the economy - no number of better policies would have eradicated that lack of trust.

But he doesn't believe in the sanctity of the Union - he could say he believes in the sanctity of the GFA and let demographics do its job I suppose.
This is the dilemma of a party leader. It's simple enough to have his principles and beliefs as a weirdo backbencher who nobody except students listens to. It's something else altogether to hold those principles and try to get anything done in the real world.

While we are selling arms to Saudi Arabia pointing to him sharing a stage at a pro Palestine rally should really be moot.
To my knowledge the current government have never supported a group whose aim was to terrorise the UK. Corbyn has.

You think the EU would allow UK in EFTA if we are positioning it as a stop gap? I am not so sure, they want a conclusion to Brexit more than anything.

I don't think the EU have a choice.

Remember EFTA was created by Britain as a opposition organisation to the EEC - it's an independent organisation, not an EU one.

EFTA has an arrangement with the EU. But EFTA members decide who become members of EFTA. Which is basically Norway, as Switzerland would naturally be keen

You mean Ed "should have been David" Milliband?

His brother would be PM with a comfortable majority IMO. The opinion polls repeatedly showed that the public didn't trust Ed with the economy - no number of better policies would have eradicated that lack of trust.

I think you are right, it wouldn't have been a Labour government though but more New Labour. Ed came across as a wally during the election, since when I have heard him speaking naturally this has not been the case.

I don't think the EU have a choice.

Remember EFTA was created by Britain as a opposition organisation to the EEC - it's an independent organisation, not an EU one.

EFTA has an arrangement with the EU. But EFTA members decide who become members of EFTA. Which is basically Norway, as Switzerland would naturally be keen
It would allow them to join EFTA but not necessarily the EEA.
http://www.efta.int/About-EFTA/Frequently-asked-questions-EFTA-EEA-EFTA-membership-and-Brexit-328676

If the UK would re-join EFTA, would it automatically become party to the EEA Agreement?

Not automatically, as each EFTA state decides on its own whether it applies to be party to the EEA Agreement or not. According to Article 128 of the EEA Agreement, “any European State becoming a member of the Community shall, and the Swiss Confederation or any European State becoming a member of EFTA may, apply to become a party to this Agreement. It shall address its application to the EEA Council.” The EEA Council takes political decisions leading to the amendment of the EEA Agreement, including the possible enlargement of the EEA. Decisions by the EEA Council are taken by consensus between all EU Member States on the one hand and the three EEA EFTA States - Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway - on the other.

It would allow them to join EFTA but not necessarily the EEA.
http://www.efta.int/About-EFTA/Frequently-asked-questions-EFTA-EEA-EFTA-membership-and-Brexit-328676

If the UK would re-join EFTA, would it automatically become party to the EEA Agreement?

Not automatically, as each EFTA state decides on its own whether it applies to be party to the EEA Agreement or not. According to Article 128 of the EEA Agreement, “any European State becoming a member of the Community shall, and the Swiss Confederation or any European State becoming a member of EFTA may, apply to become a party to this Agreement. It shall address its application to the EEA Council.” The EEA Council takes political decisions leading to the amendment of the EEA Agreement, including the possible enlargement of the EEA. Decisions by the EEA Council are taken by consensus between all EU Member States on the one hand and the three EEA EFTA States - Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway - on the other.
It would be very difficult for the EU to claim to want a deal but to also reject our membership into the EEA. Not that I believe being politically duplicitous is in any way outside the norms of the EU, let alone within their will.

A Nato member - I think an argument could be made that 9/11 also terrorized the UK.
You have to take a couple of fairly huge leaps to make that analogy work.

The largest probably being the fact that the IRA are not Ireland and Al Qaeda were not Saudi Arabia. Corbyn associating with actual members of the IRA is not the same as the British government having dealings with the government of a country in which some terrorists were born. The British government have never been involved in newspapers supporting the 9/11 bombings and, to my knowledge, have never invited members of Al Queda into parliament.

You have to take a couple of fairly huge leaps to make that analogy work.

The largest probably being the fact that the IRA are not Ireland and Al Qaeda were not Saudi Arabia. Corbyn associating with actual members of the IRA is not the same as the British government having dealings with the government of a country in which some terrorists were born. The British government have never been involved in newspapers supporting the 9/11 bombings and, to my knowledge, have never invited members of Al Queda into parliament.
at the least they are doing nothing to stop Saudi citizens sponsoring terrorism but its widely believed it is state sponsored terrorism including Afghanistan and Pakistan who are fighting UK and US forces. This is not conspiracy theory.

It would be very difficult for the EU to claim to want a deal but to also reject our membership into the EEA. Not that I believe being politically duplicitous is in any way outside the norms of the EU, let alone within their will.
I agree, that response was to GB who said they had no control over membership to EFTA (and I assume EEA).

at the least they are doing nothing to stop Saudi citizens sponsoring terrorism but its widely believed it is state sponsored terrorism including Afghanistan and Pakistan who are fighting UK and US forces. This is not conspiracy theory.
I'm not defending the actions of Saudi Arabia, but suggesting that they were in some way behind 9/11 is getting a little too "Jet fuel doesn't melt steel" for me.

Back