• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Manureskjaer

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I may be completely wrong, but I thought Liverpool’s net spend in the last couple of seasons was about 150m? If that is true? Then that’s what I’m basing my comment on. If goes numbers are not true then I take it back.

Look at the profits they made though

It’s all self made income

Investment is plugging your own money in like City and Chelsea’s owner did

Our money is being lower into a stadium which will return plenty too

De Gea took 4.8% of the game taking goal kicks according to a stat on twitter earlier

Why doesn’t that surprise me... That should be about 4 and a half minutes. Which should be enough time for closer to 20 goal kicks, if you take 15 seconds for each one. Which should be plenty, unless someone's injured or you can't find the ball.

How many goal kicks did he take? 6? 7? Incredible how the ref let him get away with that, but not surprising, as refs are consistently inconsistent when it comes to enforcing penalties or even adding time for persistent time wasting. Big, big issue for refs this, and I'm not only saying that based on today's game.

Look at the profits they made though

It’s all self made income

Investment is plugging your own money in like City and Chelsea’s owner did

Our money is being lower into a stadium which will return plenty too
Yea sure I get the profit thing, that’s why bringing it slightly more back on topic, I’ve never had a problem with Utd spending because it’s tgere money. With Liverpool though I’m not sure they turnover quite the same and (if true) £75m a year is spending more than they make or at least not something they can do every season?

Yea sure I get the profit thing, that’s why bringing it slightly more back on topic, I’ve never had a problem with Utd spending because it’s tgere money. With Liverpool though I’m not sure they turnover quite the same and (if true) £75m a year is spending more than they make?

You get that in TV money alone

It’s about £100m TV

And they have sold some players

You get that in TV money alone

And they have sold some players
Talking about net spend on transfers alone. Like I say, maybe my numbers are off but I thought I saw they’d net spent 150m in the last couple of seasons, if that's not correct then obviously forget what Im saying!

FSG haven’t spent a penny of their own money
No American owners invest in clubs, they take the money out. Look at the figures for pool

I have. They've had 176m worth of losses over the last eight years - entirely covered by FSG. Their profits have overtaken their losses in the last couple of years, but I suspect there will be another loss this year.

To give you some context, we've reported 188m in profits over the same period - our only losses were 7m each in 2010 and 2012.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...verpools-finances-fsg-years-assessed-14353937

FSG converted 70m worth of debt into equity, provided 50m for stadium costs and provided 50m in interest-free loans in that time.

Not all American owners are the same, mate. FSG have invested a very large amount into Liverpool - ENIC have done virtually nothing comparable.

Do you think the FSG Model is sustainable? If they don’t win anything this year, still a big possibility, how many years will they carry on pumping in £100m per year? And when they stop what will happen to the debt etc?

Yep. They've also doubled commercial and overall revenue during their time at the club, and they've now switched to generating profits - the early cushion of investment has helped in doing so while also maintaining a successful team.

I think they're the best we can hope for - and again, we don't need much. But we need more than ENIC can give - or, more accurately, more than ENIC want to give, which is nothing.

I have. They've had 176m worth of losses over the last eight years - entirely covered by FSG. Their profits have overtaken their losses in the last couple of years, but I suspect there will be another loss this year.

To give you some context, we've reported 188m in profits over the same period - our only losses were 7m each in 2010 and 2012.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...verpools-finances-fsg-years-assessed-14353937

FSG converted 70m worth of debt into equity, provided 50m for stadium costs and provided 50m in interest-free loans in that time.

Not all American owners are the same, mate. FSG have invested a very large amount into Liverpool - ENIC have done virtually nothing comparable.

Yep. They've also doubled commercial and overall revenue during their time at the club, and they've now switched to generating profits - the early cushion of investment has helped in doing so while also maintaining a successful team.

I think they're the best we can hope for - and again, we don't need much. But we need more than ENIC can give - or, more accurately, more than ENIC want to give, which is nothing.

What did FSG pay for the club?

Someone with money, presumably. Hopefully an FSG type which boosts the team to title-winning levels, and not a murderous Sheikh type.

We don't actually need that much money - but we need more than what ENIC's willing to spend, which is 0.00.

As for loads of clubs salivating at the thought of having ENIC as owners, sure - no argument there. There's a lot of badly run clubs that could really benefit from stolid, above-average management.

But there are quite a few better-run clubs out there for whom the prospect of an ENIC stewardship would be a severe downgrade from what they have. We play one of them in the Champions League next month, actually.

Mate, I get today of all days .. the frustration comes out ...

but Levy & ENIC have build the foundations so that we don't have to win the lottery, or get involved with blood money, that's the point of the training grounds, stadium, NFL hook up, etc. It will just take a bit longer than we all wish … to dismiss that while negating the fact that we have been the most consistent club in the league in the last 3 years (and on an upward trajectory for the best part of 12+) is simply ignoring reality.

Do you forget before BMJ? Villa, Everton, Saudi Sportswashing Machine were all ahead of us, had more opportunity to break the Sky 4 monopoly … where are they now? and the others with promise? (West Ham, Southampton who all swore they were bigger)

Spurs is behind two commercial giants (United & Pool) and two blood money teams (Chelsea & City) in what we have to overcome .. your answer is we just need someone to throw money at it? join them I guess?

Absolutely gutted!

I think it kinda feels worse that we were not picked off on the break in the second half like i expected us to be (due to no experienced cm options available).

The fact that we rallied very hard in the second half leaves me feeling very proud but actually feeling even worse...it's the hope that kills you:(
I didn't feel i could feel this down about losing to Man Utd...and another week before the next game so the festering will go on and on...grr..

Oh well...onwards...and ....arggghhhh

Frustrating day .. probably should stay away from Spurs & media around it ...

My view

- United is quite agricultural, long ball to runners, hoping to hit us with pace (worked once)
- We should have won, partially needed to be a touch more clinical, partially keeper had a blinder

That said

- Another challenge failed ...
- Squad in general looked tired, just that little bit off .. too many games
- Bench was weak, midfield a real problem especially with Sissoko going down.
- Trippier and Davies have just been poor, that and CM have to get invested in.

On to the next game ...

My view

- United is quite agricultural, long ball to runners, hoping to hit us with pace (worked once)
- We should have won, partially needed to be a touch more clinical, partially keeper had a blinder

That said

On to the next game ...

A big coaching challenge here on in for Poch.
If he is as professional as he has been i have no doubts he will work hard to overcome the current problems.
He has to for our sakes (as well as his actually...)

As said by many, lack of investment in CM may be our undoing..i feel with a Dembele or Wanyama of 18-24 months ago (or an equivalent CM expertise) and i don't think we lose the last two home league games...

My view

That said

On to the next game ...

We could fix the left back situation by playing Danny Rose, we don't have to spend a penny.

Right back and CM are the areas we need big investment in. Sorry but I'm done with Trippier, the guy is just not good enough defensively. He's a mid table player at best. Even against Cardiff he was getting put under pressure from their LW.

Unfortunately I'm not sure we will see any incomings in the next window, maybe even the next two windows.

Mate, I get today of all days .. the frustration comes out ...

but Levy & ENIC have build the foundations so that we don't have to win the lottery, or get involved with blood money, that's the point of the training grounds, stadium, NFL hook up, etc. It will just take a bit longer than we all wish … to dismiss that while negating the fact that we have been the most consistent club in the league in the last 3 years (and on an upward trajectory for the best part of 12+) is simply ignoring reality.

They have, mate - I've never argued that they haven't. But they did it with the club's own money - they redirected it in a semi-competent fashion into infrastructure over the team.

I've made the comparison before, but they're basically following the Arsenal model, without the actual league titles, trophies or success that comes with it. And don't get me wrong, that's competent stuff, but it's just nothing that couldn't have been done by someone who also actually cared about keeping our good teams together, and spending a bit to do it.

And let's be honest - without Poch, would that last bit be valid? Poch himself even admitted that ENIC's plan for him was to stay somewhere in the top six until the new stadium, and then get top four in the season *after* the move.

Poch is the man who revolutionized everything, far surpassing even what ENIC expected from him. The problem now is that this has put our owners in the inconvenient situation where they would actually have to invest to maintain that progress to the satisfaction of the manager and the players, who all want to win things.

And, as we've seen, ENIC has failed on that count, and keeps failing with every passing day. The team needed investment in the summer, needs it more now, and will need it even more next summer - but I expect absolutely nothing from them, because they're more comfortable with the Sahas and Nelsens of the world.

They're not bad owners. But they're not particularly beneficial anymore, either - they're just competent, risk-averse administrators.

Do you forget before BMJ? Villa, Everton, Saudi Sportswashing Machine were all ahead of us, had more opportunity to break the Sky 4 monopoly … where are they now? and the others with promise? (West Ham, Southampton who all swore they were bigger)

Spurs is behind two commercial giants (United & Pool) and two blood money teams (Chelsea & City) in what we have to overcome .. your answer is we just need someone to throw money at it? join them I guess?

I definitely haven't forgotten - even if I'm a bit nostalgic about those years, because every goal meant more and the days were just a lot more expectation-free in general :) . But I also think Spurs fans were very traumatized by the Sugar years and the atrocious 90's - to the point where competence looks like genius, because it's better than what we had before. Anything would be better, after all - and a solid job suddenly looks inspirational and against all odds.

What ENIC have done is a solid, reasonably competent job. But we can do better. And we should be striving to find better, because they've hit their glass ceiling.

That this is such a controversial opinion that generates such rage on the board (not you by any means, but more broadly) always amuses me. :D

Back