• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The slightly girly Health, Fitness & Diet Thread

I am doing weights twice a week but still struggling with them. I try to work on the chest area and dont feel like im actually working it - why?
I've had this trouble before with the chest area - you're probably not doing the exercises correctly. For example a pushing exercise with the chest - dumbbell bench press. If you're lying on a bench you need to arch your back slightly, attempt to push your ribs and chest upwards while squeezing the shoulder blades together. With the arching motion, if you struggle then you could place a towel along the bench to curve the back slightly until you get used to it. When the weights are at their lowest point (level with the chest), then you need to concentrate on activating the pectoral muscles when you push the weight upwards. When you get to the top, don't lock your arms out otherwise the strain of the weight will not be on your chest.

If you've been doing it in the incorrect fashion then more than likely you've been engaging the deltoids more (top of the arm). You'll notice the difference once you get it right - have a look at a few websites and see if you can get the exercise form correct. I've noticed a difference in the amount my chest has grown ever since I've corrected my form. Give it a try!

Oh and I have cut out alcohol significantly which I am certain has helped. I only drink it on my day off

Aclohol is considerably high in calories (when consumed excessively) - 4 pints equals around 2 greasy burgers, etc. in addition to slowing down your metabolism 'assisiting' with weight gain - you body has to break down ALL alochol first (priorities!) while most of the food you consume is stored as fat / not broken down properly by the time is leaves your stomach

Aboslutely cruical component to reduce / cut out all together if you really want to lose weight

Aclohol is considerably high in calories (when consumed excessively) - 4 pints equals around 2 greasy burgers, etc. in addition to slowing down your metabolism 'assisiting' with weight gain - you body has to break down ALL alochol first (priorities!) while most of the food you consume is stored as fat / not broken down properly by the time is leaves your stomach

Aboslutely cruical component to reduce / cut out all together if you really want to lose weight

The thing is I LOVE alcohol man. Alcohol is amazin. Its been difficult to stop. i WILL BE DRINKIN TONIGHT THOUGH - FIRST TIME SINCE SUNDAY

Nothing wrong with having alchohol on the odd occasion - and if you're hungover then man up and go for a cycle or something! If I'm going out, I make sure that I put in a decent workout beforehand so i can justify it. But yeah, excessively it is a bitch.

Nothing wrong with having alchohol on the odd occasion - and if you're hungover then man up and go for a cycle or something! If I'm going out, I make sure that I put in a decent workout beforehand so i can justify it. But yeah, excessively it is a bitch.

Just did an hour and a half on the Rowing Machine.

That will justify my alcohol intake - besides I have one day off a week where I can go to my maintenance intake but not over.

Starting the process of trimming up before our holiday on the 5th of July. Having to cut down on the sugar, trimming pork fat etc and it's not gonna be easy. Gonna have to start upping the cardio and abs exercises to help to create a better definition. Gonna end up spending about two hours in the gym each time - around an hour on weights, half an hour cardio, some time on abs workout and some time doing a cool down. Trouble is, I popped my shoulder out of place when I was doing an exhaustion set last week and it's been hurting since then. Starting to feel good now so i'm gonna ease back into. Annoying this is that I've only got another 10 days of my gym contract left, so once I get back to full fitness I'll have to transfer to my gym back home and open up a new account! Oh well.

Doesn't sound very sciency. Also sounds like a shortcut to arse cancer
Sciency is not a real word. And actually, this diet is a bit of a sciency one (fudge now i'm using it). If you keep your intake of carbs below 20g or something like that your body enters a state of ketosis. It stops using carbs for energy and uses stored fat instead. It is not the healthiest thing long term but if you are looking for quick results it works. You can also drink a moderate amount of wine too which is a bonus.

Processed meats is the real shortcuts to arse cancer I beleive.

Sciency is not a real word. And actually, this diet is a bit of a sciency one (fudge now i'm using it). If you keep your intake of carbs below 20g or something like that your body enters a state of ketosis. It stops using carbs for energy and uses stored fat instead. It is not the healthiest thing long term but if you are looking for quick results it works. You can also drink a moderate amount of wine too which is a bonus.
Sounds like something from a shampoo commercial.

A quick Google for "keto diet skeptic" suggests that it's more the cut in calories than anything else that does the job.

Edit:
A good analysis of the work by the keto diet's main proponent is below, with some links to studies too:
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/why-we-get-fat/

Processed meats is the real shortcuts to arse cancer I beleive.
And the lack of fibre that comes from that kind of diet.

Last edited:
Sounds like something from a shampoo commercial.

A quick Google for "keto diet skeptic" suggests that it's more the cut in calories than anything else that does the job.

Edit:
A good analysis of the work by the keto diet's main proponent is below, with some links to studies too:
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/why-we-get-fat/

And the lack of fibre that comes from that kind of diet.
I've read loads about it including the skeptic view before I tried it, including some advice from an expert. It works exactly how the shapoo commercial said it does, though low-fat diet is a far healthier way of achieving weight loss.

Incidentally, I'd say if you google <insert word here> skeptic you could get the counter-argument on anything.

I've read loads about it including the skeptic view before I tried it, including some advice from an expert. It works exactly how the shapoo commercial said it does, though low-fat diet is a far healthier way of achieving weight loss.

Incidentally, I'd say if you google <insert word here> skeptic you could get the counter-argument on anything.
Even if the statement before skeptic is is Sol Campbell a clam?

So not a gym fanatic by any means, a broken toe in December ended my footy for a few weeks and then a busier job cut my gym time, add in natural Christmas excesses it’s been a bad few weeks. I do believe routine is key so I find I do most of my best work (drinking water, eating healthier, going to gym) so aiming for at least one 5k outdoor run 2 games of footy and a spin class each week, along with 3 sessions at home or gym to do back stretching and bodyweight exercises. I’ve always wondered if I did one more press up / squat / crunch every day would I be doing 365 of them by the end of the year?!

Then try and stick to an 80 20 rule on the booze and junk food. Good rule of thumb is to be hungover in work time rather than waste a weekend feeling like brick. Harder when spurs are at home on a Saturday!

Isn’t it annoying how busy gyms are in January though?!

Does anyone here go down the personal trainer route? I was thinking about it for some specific football conditioning exercises as I find it difficult doing non standard gym exercises on my own.

The analysis from proper doctors appears to be that it works in the same way as a proper diet - just with added fairy dust and health risks.

I'd say you're right on the whole but it does tend to lead towards peer reviewed studies in respectable journals too.

The use of the word skeptic is a carefully chosen one. Those who identify themselves as one have the discovery of truth and scientific accuracy as goals.

Back