• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

I get that completely and I honestly wouldn't expect Eriksen to turn Barca down. I was just saying we shouldn't wait for bigger clubs to come in for our players before we offer them fully deserved pay rises.
I’m pretty confident he’s been offered a substantial pay rise in the way Kane,Dele,Lloris have been given already - Levy isn’t stupid. The likelihood is he simply doesn’t want to agree to a new deal to date, for whatever reason....

The only sliver of hope that I have is that Barca recently bought Coutinho for serious wedge. He is not as good as Eriksen IMO but they might focus on different positions as a result.

You have to realize that Barcelona is THE club to play for as a Dane. No other club comes close. Not Real Madrid. Not Manchester United. Not PSG.

Our greatest heroes, Michael Laudrup and Allan Simonsen, both played at Barcelona, and they are both idolized in our country. Those are the players Christian Eriksen have looked up to during his childhood. Why? Us Danes recognize the Scandinavian heritage. The sturdiness of being a Scandinavian. Something that expresses itself in our way of playing football. BUT we also think we play the superior form of technical football in Scandinavia. Our Swedish and Norwegian brothers dwell at the efficiency of kick and rush, where we want efficiency mixed with finesse. It's romantic, naive and an arrogant view, but it is how it is. Ask any Dane, Swede or Norwegian about this, and they will tell you the same I'm sure.

So, I don't think this is a matter of wage-level for Christian Eriksen. If Barcelona is truly interested, Christian Eriksen will join them. Because for a Dane Barcelona is the top-echelon. He will forever be placed alongside Michael Laudrup and Allan Simonsen in our football folklore. And that surely must be very difficult to resist.

I am sure we have offered him a new contract and I am sure it is, at the very least close to Kane's wage, if not equal.

However, I can see why he wouldn't sign it now. He's coming into his peak. Barcelona are the pinnacle of football and serial winners. And I know people won't like me saying this but most players of Eriksen's quality will want to be winning trophies and competing in the latter stages of the CL.

I don't think he is someone who will agitate for a move for no reason. But I think he will wait till the end of the season. See where we finish. See our ambition for the next season and what we are looking like doing in the summer. See if Barcelona made a serious firm offer. And will then decide on the contract offer.

And I don't blame him at all to be honest. What a player and I hope he stays.

You have to realize that Barcelona is THE club to play for as a Dane. No other club comes close. Not Real Madrid. Not Manchester United. Not PSG.

Our greatest heroes, Michael Laudrup and Allan Simonsen, both played at Barcelona, and they are both idolized in our country. Those are the players Christian Eriksen have looked up to during his childhood. Why? Us Danes recognize the Scandinavian heritage. The sturdiness of being a Scandinavian. Something that expresses itself in our way of playing football. BUT we also think we play the superior form of technical football in Scandinavia. Our Swedish and Norwegian brothers dwell at the efficiency of kick and rush, where we want efficiency mixed with finesse. It's romantic, naive and an arrogant view, but it is how it is. Ask any Dane, Swede or Norwegian about this, and they will tell you the same I'm sure.

So, I don't think this is a matter of wage-level for Christian Eriksen. If Barcelona is truly interested, Christian Eriksen will join them. Because for a Dane Barcelona is the top-echelon. He will forever be placed alongside Michael Laudrup and Allan Simonsen in our football folklore. And that surely must be very difficult to resist.
You Danes no likey Allan Nielsen?

I'm not sure I've ever felt happy about us losing a player, even Walker for all his years of service was a hit, maybe for the way he had made his mind up long before and Poch had frozen him out. Eriksen might be the one I don't begrudge a move, especially if it is to Barcelona, for the reasons our Danish poster above mentioned. I would prefer him to stay of course as even with the money from his sale, we would truly struggle to find someone who can do what he does.

On a seperate note, Kane was linked to Barca this week too. There is no way on earth they can afford the pair of them this summer and a striker is closer to what they need than an attacking midfielder. The knock on of that (Kane going to Barca) is that Eriksen either waits for the following summer or goes to another big club. What with these next 2-3 summers likely to be Eriksen's only chance for a big move (he's 27 this February) he may sign an extension with a Barca clause and wait until Summer 2020.

I don't mean to be a party pooper but who is Allan Simonsen?

I don't mean to be a party pooper but who is Allan Simonsen?

Only the 1977 European footballer of the year. Spent one season at Charlton because some bloke called Diego took his place in the Barca side. Also won several European cups with Barca and Mönchengladbach.

If he hasn't signed a contract by the end of the January window, we need to start succession planning for the summer. It's going to be one of the hardest tasks of the Poch era, but it's becoming more and more of a possibility, sadly. :(

Back