• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley ***

Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Basically you are saying then that you thought a draw would have been a fair result today? That is the only way it would be a deserved point for Burnley. If that is what you think then we watched two completely different games of football.

No one is suggesting they didn’t work their bits off, but as someone said, this isn’t sports day, you don’t get participation medals!!

Why is defending well deserving of a participation medal?

I would say if we don’t take our chances then they deserve a point.

Opening up against a better side would lead to them being smashed, they don’t have the players.

Dyche was 4 minutes away from tactically outsmarting Mopo.

We go away to a full strength Barca firing all guns, we won’t be going all out attack.

How can a team deserve a draw when they have zero shots on target all match, three less than their opponents. How can a team deserve a draw when the opponents have 11 more shots? How can an opponent deserve a draw when they barely want to leave their own half. No they deserved fudge all

You get what you deserve 99% of the time so feck em for being a defensive side

Burnley deserve relegation after that. I feel for all those at the game. Much as I can understand why Burnley played as they did, it kills much of the enjoyment of the watching supporters. At least our supporters had something to cheer at the end I guess.

I do understand it, but much like sandman I really dont like it.

Dyche is a good manager, and this was a "back to basics" move from him to try and have his team claw back some form. I get it.

I just hate it too.

I hate when teams play only to spoil, I hate when they play without the intent to win, and time wasting is among my biggest gripes with football.

There is a difference between knowing you are out matched, sitting deep and playing on the counter to maximise your chances, and what Burnley did today.

The difference is intent.

Well I partially disagree with your comments but also morally disagree with that feeling. I dont think I am alone.
I point out in my earlier post that any team that comes to defend for 90 mins. Plays 10 behind the ball. Wastes time at all opportunities and basically plays
spoiling football does not deserve to get anything out of the game. That is my opinion.

You say they have limited players. But that is a old argument. In the modern game where Burnley get a lot of income from TV and have some international
level players who are also super fit. Their limitations are not as large as in the past. If teams like Bournemouth can play good football and do well in the
premier league then I dont see the excuse.

Yes a point would have been a good result for them with how their season is going. But I personally abhor that kind of approach to the game. So I hope
they go down.

We are a much bigger club with a much bigger budget, Burnley are still relatively new to the league so a point away to any of the top 6 is a good result, plus it’s been shown teams that play this way can get results.

Would I like to watch it every week? No

Can I appreciate a decent defensive and concentrated display? Yes

If Barnes shot didn’t hit Kane we could be having a different conversation.

This wasn't a close game imo (I know it was 1-0). But on another day, Lamela would score one of his chances, Son would have got one and the game would open up even more, leading to more good chances. We could play exactly the same way and win 3 or 4 nil and nobody would mention Burnley except for being sh1t.

Why is defending well deserving of a participation medal?

I would say if we don’t take our chances then they deserve a point.

Opening up against a better side would lead to them being smashed, they don’t have the players.

Dyche was 4 minutes away from tactically outsmarting Mopo.

We go away to a full strength Barca firing all guns, we won’t be going all out attack.
That’s not my argument (re the style they played), I’ve no problem with them coming to defend, but you can’t say “they deserved a draw” on that performance! We had a stonewall pen turned down, Son missed from 4 yards, their keeper was MOTM and on another day we could have won 3 or 4 nil. On no planet is that deserving of a draw!

What you mean to say is they worked hard and the fact the goal came late is going to be hard for them to accept, but they did not “deserve” a point! I think you’re misunderstanding the word deserve.

I do understand it, but much like sandman I really dont like it.

Dyche is a good manager, and this was a "back to basics" move from him to try and have his team claw back some form. I get it.

I just hate it too.

I hate when teams play only to spoil, I hate when they play without the intent to win, and time wasting is among my biggest gripes with football.

There is a difference between knowing you are out matched, sitting deep and playing on the counter to maximise your chances, and what Burnley did today.

The difference is intent.

Yeah, that’s what I’ve said in other posts, that Burnley couldn’t come and play open football BUT I don’t understand how anyone can say they deserved a draw. They played to not lose, their tactic was to frustrate us, BUT they certainly didn’t deserve a result.

That’s not my argument (re the style they played), I’ve no problem with them coming to defend, but you can’t say “they deserved a draw” on that performance! We had a stonewall pen turned down, Son missed from 4 yards, their keeper was MOTM and on another day we could have won 3 or 4 nil. On no planet is that deserving of a draw!

What you mean to say is they worked hard and the fact the goal came late is going to be hard for them to accept, but they did not “deserve” a point!

With our finishing today we only deserved a point.

Thankfully Christian took his chance.

This wasn't a close game imo (I know it was 1-0). But on another day, Lamela would score one of his chances, Son would have got one and the game would open up even more, leading to more good chances. We could play exactly the same way and win 3 or 4 nil and nobody would mention Burnley except for being sh1t.

That’s the worry, it’s been the same discussion after a view games.

It’s going to catch us out again.

Defending is just as valid as attacking, whether the ball makes it into the net or not doesn’t have any bearing on how well a team defends, if Burnley had stopped us getting any efforts on goal then you could argue they deserved something (although imo this is irrelevant as long as the points are distributed on facts rather than arbitrary judgement), but they didn’t, had it not been for our typically profligate finishing and the weekly refereeing mistake to deny us a clear pen this would have been a clear victory.

Any manager that doesn’t sit deep against us is just setting their team up for a hammering, if we start fast and score a couple of goals early on they’ll soon change approach.

Don't think you can concede several good chances and rely on your opponents missing them and claim to have defended well tbh

fudge yes, get in. At a Xmas party with one other yid and lots of scousers and yanited folks giving us stick. So fudging good when Eriksen scored. Get in! Well deserved, hard fought win. Get in, lads, you saved my evening! :D
This was just like playing vs united, except Burnley are much much better at defending. Tell that to the fans of the entertainers!

That was a very tight game. Respect to Burnley. Ugly but almost effective. We didn't help ourselves by handicapping ourselves. I am very glad with the three points. It could have been less.

Back